A "Hidden Gem" ???

• Thread starter Old Geezer
  • 20 comments
United States
Bastrop, TX
CHRYSLER 300C vs Some "Race" Cars
AMERICAN HALL / All American Championship

I recently ran this Series with my Corvette Z06 [C5] but I wanted to try again with something a little less "Sporty." At the same time I was also looking for somewhere interesting to run my new CHRYSLER 300C. I ran a test race at Seattle w/100 less HP & WON! NOT by much however plus the final 1/2 lap required taking some "Imaginative Lines" (read "Blocking!" :irked: ) which I really don't like to do. So I ran several more tests "fiddling" with both the HP and the Tyre selection until I found the "Ultimate Combo." (Well, for me at least!) 654 HP w/R-2 Fronts & either R-2s or R-3s fitted to the rear kept the points at 200!

I must say the 300C is a bit of a pleasant surprise! 👍 Goes & handles better than expected...the only "Draw Back" is the HORRIBLE Exhaust note! :mischievous: Since it sounds like an inline Four Cylinder you wonder just what PD was actually recording with all their fancy gear :confused: it sure doesn't sound like any V-8 I'VE EVER heard! :guilty:

The opposition I drew for this round included:

DODGE Viper GTS-R Team Oreca '00
PANOZ Esparante GTR-1 '98
FORD GT LM Race Car Spec-II '04
FORD GT40 '69
CHEVROLET Corvette Stingray Coupe (C2) '63

These figures: Finish = Place / Race Time - Fast Lap. MOV = Margin of Victory (Where applicable!)

Race #1 SEATTLE Circuit (200 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'31.179
Finish 1st / 7'40.967 - 1'31.583 (Lap #3)
M.O.V. +2.754 Seconds 👍

Qualified 1st by about 4.4xx seconds. UNLIKE GT3 where you had "Bad Oil" HP to qualify with (Meaning you'd go faster in the race than you could qualify) GT4 gives you full HP BUT the "AI" seems to "Dawdle" a bit in qualifying & then really come on in the Race itself. Thanx to the "Rolling" start I got cleanly away & was never really challenged but the way the VIPER was closing, one more Lap would have made for a close race! :eek:

Race #2 INFINEON Sports Car Course (200 Points )
Qualified 1st / 1'32.1472
Finish 1st / 7'37.060 - 1'30.634 (Lap #3)
M.O.V. +2.228 Seconds 👍

Switched to R-2 Rear Tyres as I knew from testing the R-3s would NOT last! :irked: Another rolling start & knowing the "AI"'s tyres warm slowly I made as much "Haste" as possible on my own "Blue" Tyres. Pulled out about a 5 second lead before the VIPER started closing the Gap. He never really got close 'till I braked a bit late entering the Hairpin on the final Lap but I recovered in time to save the Race! :eek:

Race #3 NEW YORK CITY (200 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'33.209
Finish 1st / 6'11.590 - 1'31.987 (Lap #3)
M.O.V. +00.479 Seconds 👍

Another "Rolling Start" but on a track that favors high HP rides! Quickly built a lead of over 5 seconds only to see it evaporate the last two laps! :eek: I felt I was running as fast as I'm capable but now it's the PANOZ on my tail instead of the VIPER!!! He was hella fast on the straights but thankfully struggled a bit thru the series of 90 degree turns & the "Roundabout!" Less than a second victory at the Finish but I'll take it as there was NO Way I'd have held him off for one more Lap! :eek:

Race #4 EL CAPITAN (200 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'43.2746
Finish 1st / 7'00.078 - 1'42.596 (Lap #3)
M.O.V. +00.139 Seconds 👍

The first "Standing Start" of the Series & as per my anticipation, I got "Smoked" off the line. :irked: I was Third in to the first right but battled back to pass the VIPER for the lead by the Camp Curry Curve. Crossed the line at the end of Lap #1 with almost a three second lead, stretching it to 3.7 seconds about 1/2 way thru Lap #2. THEN the PANOZ started his charge! :eek: Lap #3 wasn't too bad but by T-2 of the Final Lap both left side Tyres were glowing RED!!! Lost a few seconds trying NOT to "Loop It" & the relentless PANOZ just kept on a comin'! He actually drew up beside me in the final Big Right but for some unknown reason faltered a bit on the exit. I clipped the apex of the final left using the "Good" right side tyres to their full advantage & got him by about 1.5 Car Lengths at the line! :eek: And I thought Race #3 had a close fininsh! :eek::eek::eek:

Race #5 LAGUNA SECA Raceway (200 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'28.529
Finish 1st / 7'15.823 - 1'26.275 (Lap #4)
M.O.V. +3.213 Seconds 👍

The "Series" is already mine & while I could have "Exited Out" & still took the Price Car & Credits, "LSR" is one of my very favorite venues so I figured I'd run it! I left the R-2 Tyres on the rear as I couldn't remember if LSR was hard on tyres or not! :dunce: As it turned out they were just fine. No surprises with another "Rolling Start" but by T-1 I was already nearly 2 Seconds ahead!!! At T-2 I looked a little closer & it was neither the PANOZ nor the VIPER in second,,,bu the GT40! I watched the whole replay just to se what went on...he held them all off until the PANOZ finally started to move at the end of Lap #3. Still took the PANOZ 'till the "Screw" to get by the GT40. I only needed to hold the PANOZ off for a little over a lap & it proved to be no challenge. My Tyres were fine 'till the end & even with the harder rears I still garnered the largest M.O.V. of the Series! 👍

FINAL RESULTS:

CHRYSLER 300C '05 // 50 Points
PANOZ Esparante GTR-1 '98 // 26 Points
DODGE Viper GTS-R Team Oreca '00 // 22 Points
FORD GT LM Race Car Spec-II '04 // 15 Points
FORD GT40 '69 // 12 Points
CHEVROLET Corvette Stingray Coupe (C2) '63 // 5 Points

85,000 Credits & 1,000 more A-Spec Points plus another Blue CHEVROLET Corvette Convertible (C1) '54 Prize Car! :irked:

As always...THANX for wading thru this & hope it will help someone out. Let me know if you spot a mistake, I'm VERY adept at using the EDIT Function! :lol: ...O.G. :D

Did you do any further mods ?
Wing?
Suspension?
Drivetrain?

Any other 200 point cars that you suggest.
Would a similar spec GTO (the Holden made one) do as well?

Old Geezer
CHRYSLER 300C vs Some "Race" Cars
AMERICAN HALL / All American Championship

the only "Draw Back" is the HORRIBLE Exhaust note! :mischievous: Since it sounds like an inline Four Cylinder you wonder just what PD was actually recording with all their fancy gear :confused: it sure doesn't sound like any V-8 I'VE EVER heard! :guilty:

Nice race report OG, very cool... And I know what you mean about the sound, I was horribly dissappointed when I finally got the credits to buy my AC Cobra only to find out that it sounded like a 4 cylinder turbo car??? What's that about anyway? hehe... Plus, it has those 2 HUGE exhausts on each side, how can they sound like that? lol...

Would be amazing if PD actually read this forum, they could make the perfect game!!!

Back on topic, Nice write up, I love reading OG write ups...

:bowdown: Great stuff... a SUM TOTAL winning margin of just 8.813 seconds over 5 races :lol: :eek: Now THAT's racing!!

THANX Guys & Gal! :cheers: You know how I enjoy "Close Races!"

@ Uncle Harry: I had the 300C pretty much maxxed out except for HP. Stage 3 weight reduction, most racing parts etc. I think the only thing I left off was the "Chip" to keep at the 200 Point level. Oddly enough I ran nearly the same Lap times with the "Blower" instead of NA3 & 100 LESS HP! :eek: The car just seemed to "Leap" out of the corners but then ran out of HP as the RPM increased. :irked: Oh yeh...NO Wing...although some Downforce sure would have been nice to have at the first two venues! :eek:

I think the HOLDEN would be GREAT! 👍 I've got one although I haven't used it much. :guilty: BUT...you'll have to use the PONTIAC version as it's a "US Cars" only Series. I think I'm going to fit Sport Tyres to the 300C & give the "Stars and Stripes" races a shot!

THANX Again...O.G. :D

Hey there UWuz57 :D I don't get in here much, but when I do, I ALWAYS look for your most recent adventure. Always a pleasure to read, your attention to detail is unsurpassed! I'm not into the racing much these days, but I don't need to when I read your exploits! 👍

Well done you ol' Busdriver ;) :)

Have you ever thought of admining a series?? :embarrassed: 💡 ;)

:nervous: :)

Smallhorses
:lol: I've wondered about that too, why the change to O.G.?
Is it because Uwere57 (UB57) when you joined GTPlanet & now UB60?!!!!!! :mischievous: :lol:
You "be" very observant! :lol: The "UB57" moniker was all I could think of when signing up and Yes...it's become a little dated! :indiff: In 27 more days it'll be the BIG 6-0! :scared:

@ "Pokie": Good to see you checking in & THANX for the kind words. Probably won't host any more races, as last time 17 drivers signed up but only FOUR submitted times! :irked:...O.G. :D

You sound like a champ driver. Im a complete newbie and the Panoz + Viper gave me hella troubles in my BUICK 62. I guess ill have to try a better car? Keep up the good work!

Saturnine
You sound like a champ driver. Im a complete newbie and the Panoz + Viper gave me hella troubles in my BUICK 62. I guess ill have to try a better car? Keep up the good work!
THANX Saturnine: 👍
But I'm just an average driver who prefers "Close Races" to "Walk Overs!"...O.G. :D

Hmm, for some reason I missed this thread. Very nice write up Old Geezer. This sounds like a fantastic challenge for me some day. "We want more, we want more!" :P

Sjenk
Hmm, for some reason I missed this thread. Very nice write up Old Geezer. This sounds like a fantastic challenge for me some day. "We want more, we want more!" :P
THANX Sjenk! 👍
I used it to re-win "Supercar Festival" but it was hardly worth a write-up. Even w/most of the HP removed the most points received was around 150! :irked: Give it a try if you can, I think the handling is remarkable for a big sedan! :eek: ...O.G. :D

Latest Posts

Back