A Letter of Gratitude to GTS (Short shifting)

Philippines
Laguna
Alpha_Cipher1
TL;DR GTS taught me how to short shift and it saved my butt big time in an endurance race in another simulator

For a while now I've made the jump from GTS to more "serious" sims (in terms of physics), especially rFactor 2. I've been dabbling in open wheel cars, but my focus so far in said sims has been endurance racing.

It's been roughly a year since I've done the jump, so I'm still not all that up-to-date in terms of setting up a car, strategies, etc..., but in my most recent endurance race I've used a strategy that I abused to death and over in GTS: short shifting.

TL;DR, I made some stupid mistakes and in addition to that, our pit schedules didn't line up with what we actually had and we had to do an extra pit stop near the end of the race if we keep using fuel as much as we did. So for 1.5 hours straight I start short shifting the car very very early to meet the fuel requirements to not do that extra pit stop. Now there's also fuel mixtures in the sim, and honestly they're about as useful as fuel maps in GTS (at least, for the particular car I'm using). To be fair, I was just about as fast when short shifting compared to when I was using the fuel map, but in terms of fuel savings I saved so much more short shifting. We finished 3rd (though that's somewhat doubted due to some bugs messing up the finishing order), but I'm sure that if I didn't know how to short shift, I would've finished much lower than that.

"But short shifting is literally the easiest thing to do in the world. You don't need GTS to learn it", I can probably hear some would say. And they're right. But what GTS did was show me that short shifting was an option in the first place. If it weren't for GTS, I don't think I'd ever know that short shifting would save fuel without losing too much time.

So yeah, an overly long message for such a mundane thing :P but basically, I'm glad that I played (and am still playing) GTS, and knew about the overpowered exploit that is short shifting.

Back