A petition for the release of GT1, GT2, GT3 and GT4 on PSN

United Kingdom
Oldbury
corycory19982
Hello everyone, this is Cory Henry.

Recently I decided to do a petition on change.org. I wrote this petition to Sony and Polyphony Digital, and it involved trying to make the first four main entries in the franchise on PlayStation Network. There were two main reasons I came up with this petition. The first one refers to the fact, that neither of these four games have been made available on PSN yet, and secondly Gran Turismo Sport, was delayed into 2017.

If you are interested, please visit this link and make a signature for this petition. As loyal Gran Turismo fans, it would be lovely to play the first four Gran Turismo games on PSN. Thank you, and I hope you agree with my petition.

Link for petition

https://www.change.org/p/sony-release-gran-turismo-1-2-3-and-4-on-psn

Cory Henry - Loyal Gran Turismo fan.

Can't or won't?
They have already released PS2 games on the PS4
If they see enough interest in the older versions of GT, they can and will do something
But they must have proof of demand first

Can't. How many of those PS2 games on PS4 already released have dozens of licenced music tracks from (at least at the time were) top shelf bands? How many of those PS2 games have hundreds of licenced vehicle designs and dozens of licenced venues; some of which done with partnerships with companies that no longer exist?

It's obvious that there would be demand. We could be approaching 4 years of a system's life without even having the ability to play a title from a series that in its prime sold ten million units a pop; when the system itself is pretty barren for racing titles to even compete with it. But if you look at the kind of games rereleased as PSN titles, a consistent thread you will see is that the ones with similar hurdles to rereleasing them aren't present even when they were huge games when they were new. There are no Burnout games. There are no Tony Hawk games. There is a sole Need for Speed title, and not anywhere near the one with the most influence. The PS2 era was the huge explosion of all forms of licencing to push up the production values, but by and large the games that did so and did so to great acclaim (to the expense of the games whose developers couldn't afford to do so) are nonexistent when it comes to those style services; overwhelmingly in favor instead of games which were more niche at the time but whose content was almost entirely done in house. The sole consistent exception to that rule are the ones that were made by Rockstar.

Last edited:
It won't happen, between the music (and perhaps car & track) licensing issues and the fact that for the most part (emphasis on most, not entirely), subsequent GT games render the previous one obsolete.

GT3 had a tiny car list and repeating events, GT4 had THREE 24h endurance races that had to be run IN REAL-TIME (and not even a day/night cycle to match?), and GT5 lacked some cars, tracks, and features that are added in GT6.

Lemme name some: The Goodwood Hillclimb, the Senna and Andretti cars, the VGT cars, the TRACK MAKER THAT WASN'T RANDOMLY-GENERATED, the Circuit de la Sierra which came with an Outrun-esque mode, A LUNAR ROVER, the Nismo R35, the Toyota TS030, NOT HAVING TO WAIT ON THE USED CAR LOT, etc...

EDIT: I *would,* however, petition to re-release some of the PD games that aren't Gran Turismo, like Omega Boost and Motor Toon GP. I'd say Tourist Trophy but that too likely would have licensing issues.

Sony should have really just had the sense to have PS1&2 backwards compatibility in the PS4. At launch putting in an entire PS2, which can literally now fit onto one little chip, would have added like $20 to the price if that.

As for PS3 backwards compatibility that is no excuse, MS manged to emulate PowerPC on x86 no problems.

Back