A Photo Finish

• Thread starter somebody
  • 2 comments
Australia
Canberra
Unwired-Eddie
Just skimming through my garage when I noiced I hadn't yet driven the RX7 LM or the RX8 Concept LM. Same power, presumably simliar torque, and the RX8 only carries 20kg more. Should make for a good comparison.

First up is the drag strip where the RX7 lays down a 10.502 0-400m and a 19.064 0-1000m. The RX8 stays on his heels with runs of 10.935 and 19.613 respectively. Either the 20kg is holding the Concept back or there is a bigger difference in torque than I imagined.

Next is Tokyo, my preferred test track. B-Spec Bob puts the RX7 through its paces and records a very respectable 1'35.477, with the RX8 sticking with him for a 1'35.533. Looks like 20kg isn't hurting him any here.

Now the big test - how do they go around the Le Manns track itself? On La Sarthe I the RX7 flys through with a 3'55.366 while the RX8 again finishes second but by less than a second with a 3'56.168. Both cars look steady on the track and B-Spec Bob had no troubles with either.

The two rivals now attack La Sarthe II. The RX7 tops out at 302kmh down the back straight and comes home in 3'40.294. The RX8 gave away 2kmh down the back straight so I was expecting it to be about 2 seconds behind at the finish. You can imagine my suprise when it stopped the clock at 3'39.864. Upon viewing the replay I can see where the Concept made up the time - the braking zone. It pulled up noticably better than the RX7 at the end of the straight. The rest of the lap looked identical to the RX7, as is shown by the close result.

So when all is said and done there really isn't a lot between the two cars. Even taking the cars for a spin in A-Spec didn't show up any handling difference except at the end of the back straight where the RX8 can leave its braking a good car length later. Given a choice of rides I would pick the RX8 for nothing more than an interesting paint job.

Another nice comparison 👍

One question: are you taking these tests in B-spec or A-spec? Just wondering. (I withdraw this question if you already pointed that out in another thread, but hey, i can't read anything :sly: )

MSH
Another nice comparison 👍

One question: are you taking these tests in B-spec or A-spec? Just wondering. (I withdraw this question if you already pointed that out in another thread, but hey, i can't read anything :sly: )
I run the timed laps in B-spec because it gives a fairer result than if I drive myself, but I do take all cars I test out for a spin afterwards so I can compare their handling. These two cars felt so similar I just didn't bother commenting on it.

Back