A Possible GTPlanet "Group Project"? (Experienced 3D designers apply)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Leadfoot53
  • 14 comments
  • 1,404 views
Messages
681
United States
California
Hey guys.

So, A lot of people on the forums have expressed their complaints about the cars in the game. "There are 800 crap cars and 200 good cars! There should have been more good cars!" To be frank, I'm kind of tired of it and I greatly appreciate ALL of the cars, standard AND premium! I own two cars in real life that are standards in the game and I think they drive great, but that's beside the point of the post, so I'll get on with it.

I feel that there are likely some people experienced in the art of 3D design lurking around in the forums. I would have tried this idea myself, but I have virtually no experience, but with your guys' help, we could likely pull off my vision. I had an interesting idea to maybe achieve two things:
A. Help achieve a greater respect for Polyphony Digital's car modelers.
B. Have a "visual aid" as to what a Premium car's quality truly is.

My idea is in two forms:

-First part is simple. We make a "standard car" of GT4/GTPSP specs. Preferably a relatively simple car, like a Honda Civic. I feel like it wouldn't take too long to model one of those standards. I think it has 4,000 polygons in it?

-The second part would be the big one. We convert that "Standard" into a "Premium". It would require quite an overhaul, but I feel like, as a group, we could likely do it.

I know a lot of guys have professional careers, so this would likely be a long term project, but I feel like it may be a really interesting experience, and, you got to admit, it would be cool to "take apart" the car and see what actually makes the car "tick"...

Also what could be cool would be to keep a "blog" of what people are doing, so we get a perspective from the modeling side of things...

Anybody interested?
 
I know nothing of the matter but if the point is to make a premium car (like all in-game should), why make it first standard? Why not model it straight as a premium?
 
Hi mate,

I've studied Art, Graphic Design and Game Developement at University. I understand how hard it is to produce models.

IBOWMANI
 
I can tell you it wont work. I have done 3D modeling both in Maya and in Autocad and it is not easy as one may think. You would have to have so many items on/in the car dimensioned down to the millimeter. You would also need to dimension each add on and be able to scale each model. Then you would also need the audio. Matching the sound to how the car is performing is a science in itself. Then you also need to be able to code all of this stuff together when no one here knows what code PD is using. Then you would need a dev kit to compile and debug all of this and then be able to submit the package to both PD and Sony for final review. This game is not one of those open source games you can throw skins and stuff in so I would suggest let the people getting paid at PD to do their job and just wait.
 
Hey guys.

So, A lot of people on the forums have expressed their complaints about the cars in the game. "There are 800 crap cars and 200 good cars! There should have been more good cars!" To be frank, I'm kind of tired of it and I greatly appreciate ALL of the cars, standard AND premium! I own two cars in real life that are standards in the game and I think they drive great, but that's beside the point of the post, so I'll get on with it.

I feel that there are likely some people experienced in the art of 3D design lurking around in the forums. I would have tried this idea myself, but I have virtually no experience, but with your guys' help, we could likely pull off my vision. I had an interesting idea to maybe achieve two things:
A. Help achieve a greater respect for Polyphony Digital's car modelers.
B. Have a "visual aid" as to what a Premium car's quality truly is.

My idea is in two forms:

-First part is simple. We make a "standard car" of GT4/GTPSP specs. Preferably a relatively simple car, like a Honda Civic. I feel like it wouldn't take too long to model one of those standards. I think it has 4,000 polygons in it?

-The second part would be the big one. We convert that "Standard" into a "Premium". It would require quite an overhaul, but I feel like, as a group, we could likely do it.

I know a lot of guys have professional careers, so this would likely be a long term project, but I feel like it may be a really interesting experience, and, you got to admit, it would be cool to "take apart" the car and see what actually makes the car "tick"...

Also what could be cool would be to keep a "blog" of what people are doing, so we get a perspective from the modeling side of things...

Anybody interested?

WOW, dude, have you ever modeled anything before? Why don't we reverse engineer Spa first. At least that would be achievable.

spa-400x300.jpg
 
I can tell you it wont work. I have done 3D modeling both in Maya and in Autocad and it is not easy as one may think.

Sound advice for all the complainers wanting 1,000 Premium cars. No?
 
Well are not many of the high scale 3d places using real life models etc and "scanning" much of the object they want into 3d then doing all the detail work? I mean to sit down and do a full detail 3d model from scratch takes ages. But now days they cut a ton of time off that with real models to map into the computers 3d software and then go from there. So instead of a year it takes 6 months.

But there are cars then there are car i mean the gt by crioten itself would take years of work if you had to build all the geometry in high detail. Where an old honda civic or something would not take nearly as long.
 
Sound advice for all the complainers wanting 1,000 Premium cars. No?

I think it was stated that it would take 6mos for one PD employee to create a premium car from start to finish.

Turn10, the people behind ***** M********* 3 didn't bother trying to do it themselves, since they're even smaller than PD. They outsourced most of the modeling. If PD would consider outsourcing some of their work, I think we could see 1,000+ premiums in GT6.
 
Turn10, the people behind ***** M********* 3 didn't bother trying to do it themselves, since they're even smaller than PD. They outsourced most of the modeling. If PD would consider outsourcing some of their work, I think we could see 1,000+ premiums in GT6.

Yup, and then the premium cars would look like the tanks from TRON.
 
Yup, and then the premium cars would look like the tanks from TRON.

Or y'know, just get people who are good at it. It's not like they wouldn't have a choice.
 
Anyone with 3d modeling experience, can you explain why they can't just scan the cars and go from there?
 
I think it was stated that it would take 6mos for one PD employee to create a premium car from start to finish.

That's probably about right. The guy doing the M3 CSL probably has a day job, hence why it took him two years to complete it. PD employees do nothing but modeling, so they can complete them in a shorter time. Although 6-months really isn't "short". :sly:
 
Or y'know, just get people who are good at it. It's not like they wouldn't have a choice.

I know, I just fear what might happen to quality control and inconsistencies if PD resorted to outsourcing. But...


I love GT5!!! :)
 
Yup, and then the premium cars would look like the tanks from TRON.

Or y'know, just get people who are good at it. It's not like they wouldn't have a choice.

By now, PD's developed quite the system for doing modeling work. They just need more people to do it. Outsource the work and have those workers use the same method.

PD can just check the work as it comes in and be sure it's been done right. This is something Turn10 seems to not do, as lots of their dlc cars are riddled with bugs(8/10 cars in the new pack this week).
 
Back