A potential FM5 save data issue

• Thread starter espeed623
  • 12 comments
United States
Bozeman
djespeed
djespeed
Before I get to the issue, I must note that if anyone's paid attention to my posts in the pictures thread, I was given a chance to play Forza 5 on a friend's Xbox One using my Xbox ID.

To get to the issue at hand, I'm considering getting an XB1 and FM5 at some point in the future (possibly next year, since I'll be able to save up for once). Problem is, I have save data on said friend's console. I'm hearing cloud internet** saves are iffy at best, and since I'm not familiar with the console, I don't know if one can physically copy saves to USB.

So my question to you, the FM5-owning, Xbox One-toting populace; is can I resume my career on a new console or am I forced to nuke and start over?
11367683846_67ccd58773_o.jpg

I'd like to keep my BR-Z and settings, if possible. :'(

Last edited:
***cringe***

Please, lets not get all caught up in the layman's hype here... repeat after me - "there is no cloud. there is no cloud. there is no cloud"

The game data is saved on a server right over there next to your Hotmail data.

No cloud, just a good old server storing your stuff.

:)

Calling these datacenter housed solutions 'the cloud' is like calling cars the 'magic horseless carriage'.

It is not as cool as the marketing morons make out to call these services 'the cloud'

***cringe***

Please, lets not get all caught up in the layman's hype here... repeat after me - "there is no cloud. there is no cloud. there is no cloud"

The game data is saved on a server right over there next to your Hotmail data.

No cloud, just a good old server storing your stuff.

Calling these datacenter housed solutions 'the cloud' is like calling cars the 'magic horseless carriage'.

It is not as cool as the marketing morons make out to call these services 'the cloud'

Dude relax. It is the azure cloud servers. No gimmick.

I don't think anyone is under the illusion that there is a magical cloud floating about with all our data in it :odd:

He's got a point though, the cloud is just a marketing BS name for "computers on the other side of the internets", and we've had those for some time. ;)

He's got a point though, the cloud is just a marketing BS name for "computers on the other side of the internets", and we've had those for some time. ;)

There is a difference between a "Cloud" service and just remote server. Cloud services means your "server" are running on a VM that can be move around the cluster farm. There is no dedicated hardware for that specific service. So if you are having hardware issue on a particular server, its easy to spawn it on another one.

There is a difference between a "Cloud" service and just remote server. Cloud services means your "server" are running on a VM that can be move around the cluster farm. There is no dedicated hardware for that specific service. So if you are having hardware issue on a particular server, its easy to spawn it on another one.

More marketing BS.

Please, don't try tell those of us that are actually in the business how it works.

You have managed to throw a bunch of unrelated cool sounding terms into a disjointed sentence that actually has no correct technically meaning.

The bottom line is that the person asking the question need not worry as his game save (which is just data, not a server or service) will be available to his new console when he buys it.

There is really no need to pad the explanation with junk technical jargon.

And the 'cloud' actually got its nickname from the fact that we system architects have been using the puffy cloud symbol to represent 'some transient section' of the network design since the 1990's.

Anyway, I need to get back to managing the spinning up of a new farm of VM hosts just now - have a nice day :)

More marketing BS.

Please, don't try tell those of us that are actually in the business how it works.

You have managed to throw a bunch of unrelated cool sounding terms into a disjointed sentence that actually has no correct technically meaning.

The bottom line is that the person asking the question need not worry as his game save (which is just data, not a server or service) will be available to his new console when he buys it.

There is really no need to pad the explanation with junk technical jargon.

And the 'cloud' actually got its nickname from the fact that we system architects have been using the puffy cloud symbol to represent 'some transient section' of the network design since the 1990's.

Anyway, I need to get back to managing the spinning up of a new farm of VM hosts just now - have a nice day :)

You really need to relax. You are not the only one that works in the industry and yes Cloud has been used since the ATM days as a transient section of network.

You really need to relax. You are not the only one that works in the industry and yes Cloud has been used since the ATM days as a transient section of network.

I am relaxed. I am always relaxed.
How else do I find the time for family, business, fun and forums if I didn't have a relaxed approach to life.

Nothing fazes me - well, pointless spewing of hip jargon has been known to awaken my typing fingers :lol:

*ahem*
So, the answer to my question is "Yes, you can continue where you left off"? If so, good; because I still haven't done that race at Yas yet... I just merely took a photo before I had to leave.

*ahem*
So, the answer to my question is "Yes, you can continue where you left off"? If so, good; because I still haven't done that race at Yas yet... I just merely took a photo before I had to leave.

Yes, I believe so - I spoke to a M$ Live rep about what would happen if we had another XBone in the house over Christmas - would games follow or delete etc?

She indicated that the Gamertag is the be-all-end-all and that the saves follow you. But now that I think about it, I want to confirm this as I don't see at what point the game save is copied up.

Back