A problem with Elise 111R/Tuned

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wolf-M
  • 8 comments
  • 1,105 views

Wolf-M

Wolf on wheels
Premium
Messages
234
Messages
BlackWhiteWolf; GTP_DeadlyWolf
Is it only my problem but I simply find it impossible to control this car. I've been doing much practising with my F430 in the past weeks and got accustomed to hard brakes when cornering. This works fine with most of my other cars but when I get into my Elise 111R the car goes spinning easily. I tried releasing the accelerator yet it still doesn't work. Moderate braking seems to be fine but then you've got to brake real early.

I've also tried the NSX-R and similar problems arise (though it's a bit easier to handle)

Are there any suggestions as to how I should drive this car? I'm desperate to clear all S class events and unlock the F2007. (Since many suggest using this car to clear the PP630 and the last PP700 event)
 
Stiffen up the front and add a bit of toe to the rear.

Should stabilize the car quite a bit.
 
Lowering the rear ride height and toeing the front wheels out will help with the twitchiness of the nose of the car, and also stabilize the rear.
 
Is it only my problem but I simply find it impossible to control this car. I've been doing much practising with my F430 in the past weeks and got accustomed to hard brakes when cornering. This works fine with most of my other cars but when I get into my Elise 111R the car goes spinning easily. I tried releasing the accelerator yet it still doesn't work. Moderate braking seems to be fine but then you've got to brake real early.

You can actually brake very late in the Elise, as long as you do it mostly in a straight-line. I can often out-brake others using this fine machine. But, as a general rule, the further back the engine is in a car, the more important it is to brake in as straight a line as possible. Remember the Yellowbird from GT4? (And, might I add, I can't wait to get my hands on the GT5 version of that beauty!).

At any rate, by all means play with the car setup if you wish, but overall you are better off just practicing until it comes naturally.

If you do want to tune that out the easy way, just adjust the brake balance. You'll lose maneuverability under braking, but you can make her stay straight with very little tweaking that way.
 
You can actually brake very late in the Elise, as long as you do it mostly in a straight-line. I can often out-brake others using this fine machine. But, as a general rule, the further back the engine is in a car, the more important it is to brake in as straight a line as possible. Remember the Yellowbird from GT4? (And, might I add, I can't wait to get my hands on the GT5 version of that beauty!).

At any rate, by all means play with the car setup if you wish, but overall you are better off just practicing until it comes naturally.

If you do want to tune that out the easy way, just adjust the brake balance. You'll lose maneuverability under braking, but you can make her stay straight with very little tweaking that way.

Two big problems with the Elise. Trainling throttle oversteer and a vERY light car. If you lighten the car even more, if you don't get the rest of the setup right, the car seems to get unbalance and easy to spin. To overcome much of this problem, brake before turning into the turn, then settle the car down with the accelerator - but be careful, because you can induce a big push.
 
Stiffen up the front and add a bit of toe to the rear.

Should stabilize the car quite a bit.

Listen to his guy. :) The Faster the wieght in the rear goes to the front the more it will want to brake loose on you.. The same goes for accelerating in this car.. The faster the weight is moved to the rear of the car the more it wil want to break loose. The key is to find a balance in the shocks compression and the rebound.

Also listen to Panjandrum..his words go forth with any Car with its engine in the back. Try not to turn the wheel alot underbraking. An easy was to do this is to choose a line that starts high and brake diagonally into the Apex.

There is also one more thing you can do..Keep some throttle on while braking..

Just play around.. Have fun.
 
Heel and toe is almost essential in most mid-engined cars. Especially one as light as the Elise. The yaw inertia is very low, so the car will yaw easily. Smooth on brakes and throttle, and very little trailbraking and you're set. It's a very nicely balanced machine and I love her, but she can bite, and bite hard if you treat her wrong.
 
Try the AC Cobra in Enthusia. After that, the Tuned Elise in GT5P will be a cakewalk! :)
 
Back