A proposal for the memory of the greats

  • Thread starter Thread starter thestig11
  • 12 comments
  • 1,019 views
Messages
182
England
England
Messages
glider1198
Hi all

As the month of may is upon us, I would like to just say a few words.

Today April 30th is 20 years since Roland Ratzenberger passed away after his fatal crash at Imola in 1994. This tragedy as we all know did not cease the race from going ahead, and as is in our vivid memories the passing of Ayrton Senna came the next day, which is 20 years tomorrow May 1st.
As the community of GTPlanet I make this thread, so that everyone can say a few words to remember these all time greats, not only as drivers, but as people aswell.



Thank you. #remembersenna
 
Last edited:
Hi all

As the month of may is upon us, I would like to just say a few words.

Today April 30th is 20 years since Roland Ratzenberger passed away after his fatal crash at Imola in 1984. This tragedy as we all know did not cease the race from going ahead, and as is in our vivid memories the passing of Ayrton Senna came the next day, which is 20 years tomorrow May 1st.
As the community of GTPlanet I make this thread, so that everyone can say a few words to remember these all time greats, not only as drivers, but as people aswell.



Thank you. #remembersenna
A nice sentiment. Not sure if the GT6 sub-forums are the place for it but hey. Apparently there's been call for a statue of Roland to be placed next to Ayrton's at Imola recently. That would be nice I think. They should do that.
 
It was definitely a horrible weekend, I remember Ayrton was very upset with Ratzenberger's passing. He planned to honour his passing by flying the Austrian flag at the end of the race, but unfortunately didn't get the chance. Ayrton was and still is my favourite driver of all time, and defines F1 for me. He was very smart and caring, except in the car, he was ruthless. It was a tragic loss. I'm glad Senna's foundation is still changing lives today, in that way, he lives on. RIP Boss Senna, RIP Ratzenberger.
 
Also you put 1984, its supposed to be 1994 (sorry) anyway. Im sure Senna will be remembered for years to come and hopefully so will Roland. Both did not deserve to lose their lives this way and I am sure they are in a better place now. Ayrton was an inspiration to all and aswell for me, he was brave and courageous and took every chance he could to squeeze that half a second or so out of every lap he did at any track. Roland though unfortunately unknown compared to Senna didnt deserve this either. They both died doing what they love and are certainly missed and just for the sake of respect I will post this video of Roland racing in a Formula Ford at Brands Hatch in 1986



RIP Ayrton and Roland, we miss you both
 
Watching the Senna documentary on tv right now. Part of Imola gives me the chills still after 20 years because I can remember that weekend still very well even being 10 years old at the time. Horrible black weekend for f1.
 
"Would we still be talking about Roland 20 years on if only Roland had died? The fact he died on the same weekend as Senna means he will always be remembered." - Jack Brabham

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/27068212

Interesting viewpoint. I quite like that way of looking at it.
Just a note: that should be David Brabham, Sir Jack's son.

And I agree, it serves both their memories that they be remembered together. 👍
 
Just a note: that should be David Brabham, Sir Jack's son.

And I agree, it serves both their memories that they be remembered together. 👍
I know that. Brain fart. Thank you. Amended.

- - - - -​

Watching the Senna documentary on tv right now. Part of Imola gives me the chills still after 20 years because I can remember that weekend still very well even being 10 years old at the time. Horrible black weekend for f1.
I remember it too. I was a little young at the time to fully understand the significance of what I was seeing but my Dad's silence was enough to let me know something very bad had happened. I can remember Murray Walker's hopefulness as Senna momentarily moved his head in the cock pit some time after the incident but before Sid Watkins (R.I.P.) arrived on scene - the cameras still fixed on him. And the way he was obviously holding back his emotion as he was forced to commentate on his friend's passing, as it was happening. How strange it must have been for Walker to do that. Very dark moment indeed.

(This post got a "like" pre edit - I feel that should be made clear)
 
Last edited:
As tragic as Senna's fatal accident was and always will be, It's a shame that the death of Roland Ratzenberger's is usually reduced to a sidenote. Each and every human beeing passing away, no matter if a 4 times world champion or a homeless, no matter if he or she is the biggest freak on earth is a lost of immesurable worth.
 
I forgot to mention that I really enjoyed the "empty front row" tribute at the next race in Monte Carlo, very touching...
 
Back