A question about tires

  • Thread starter Thread starter NinjaDesignz
  • 10 comments
  • 825 views
Messages
1,140
United States
Michigan
Messages
NinjaDesignz_
Before I have people coming here and hating on me to use the search button, I did. I searched "tire" and couldn't find the answer to my question.

Anyways now to my question. I have a praiano63 tuned 550pp Diablo GT2, and I joined an online lobby with people using racing softs. So I bought some RS tires and got onto the track(Mazda Leguna Seca) for practice. Going into the first turn the car felt like it was not sticking to the road surface like it should be. After driving the first lap, I came to conclusion that the car was just incredibly lose in the turns and very difficult to control. So I put on the SS tires that the car was tuned to use and it felt noticeably better. I was a bit confused that RS tires were not as grippy as SS tires. I remember from GT5 that putting on RS tires on any car would make it handle better. Is this because the Diablo is a MR car? If so, does this same problem exist on AWD, FF, and FR cars?
 
The problem exists with all street cars - since you used Praiano's tune you should look through his thread re this.
 
The problem exists with all street cars - since you used Praiano's tune you should look through his thread re this.
The people in the lobby seemed to be driving just fine with RS tires.
 
The people in the lobby seemed to be driving just fine with RS tires.

Then they had a different tune.

Like I said - look through Praiano's thread - he's mentioned why he hasn't tuned road cars with race tyres a few times.
 
Then they had a different tune.

Like I said - look through Praiano's thread - he's mentioned why he hasn't tuned road cars with race tyres a few times.
So it's all about the tune. I hope I can find lobbies with people using only Sports tires
 
So it's all about the tune. I hope I can find lobbies with people using only Sports tires

@Thorin Cain has made plenty of tunes for road cars with RS tyres - and if that's how you prefer to race then that's fine.

I only ever use street tyres on street cars and race tyres on race cars. There's a lot of lobbies that are like this as well. The people that race with RS tyres on street cars may find that they're faster, but at the expense of feedback. They will never learn how to go fast without RS tyres.

If you ever find yourself in a lobby where everyone is using RS tyres on street cars then don't just stick RS tyres on your car. You might find that you can still beat them with SS tyres. 👍
 
I was a bit confused that RS tires were not as grippy as SS tires

I've had the exact same result. The Diablo GT2 rejects slicks,period.
It's beautiful on sport tires.
 
@Thorin Cain has made plenty of tunes for road cars with RS tyres - and if that's how you prefer to race then that's fine.

I only ever use street tyres on street cars and race tyres on race cars. There's a lot of lobbies that are like this as well. The people that race with RS tyres on street cars may find that they're faster, but at the expense of feedback. They will never learn how to go fast without RS tyres.

If you ever find yourself in a lobby where everyone is using RS tyres on street cars then don't just stick RS tyres on your car. You might find that you can still beat them with SS tyres. 👍
Thanks for the advice. In the lobby I joined with the other people using RS I used SS tires for the remainder of the time I was in the lobby but sadly I was getting beaten by 2 or 4 seconds per lap.
 
Thanks for the advice. In the lobby I joined with the other people using RS I used SS tires for the remainder of the time I was in the lobby but sadly I was getting beaten by 2 or 4 seconds per lap.

Yes, sometimes you can win but it depends on the people using RS tyres.
 
@Thorin Cain has made plenty of tunes for road cars with RS tyres - and if that's how you prefer to race then that's fine.

I only ever use street tyres on street cars and race tyres on race cars. There's a lot of lobbies that are like this as well. The people that race with RS tyres on street cars may find that they're faster, but at the expense of feedback. They will never learn how to go fast without RS tyres.

If you ever find yourself in a lobby where everyone is using RS tyres on street cars then don't just stick RS tyres on your car. You might find that you can still beat them with SS tyres. 👍
Thanks for the tag. Quite the little discussion here. Mind if I chip in?
Firstly, yes I do tune most cars for online use with soft racing tyres. This is partly because most the the rooms I join allow any tyre and the RS is the one which offers the most grip, which in turn should lead to quicker lap times. And partly because there are not enough tuners who cater to this need. In GT5 a lot of tunes were available for road cars on racing tyres and being fair, most of the time if you stuck racing tyres on a tune that was made for sports tyres it would work really well. However I have noticed that due to changes in physics for GT6 that the tyres are not nearly as interchangable as they were before.
I have found that the main reasons here are that the suspension model and tyre model used work really well. So it is much more important now to match the spring levels and braking balance to the grip levels of the tyre you are using. A faster more powerful car on really grippy tyres needs stiffer suspension and can use stronger brakes. This is why @praiano63 's Diablo wouldn't work as well on racing tyres, he has the the settings spot on for this car on sports tyres(hardly a surprise...lol) but if you want to put racing tyres on then you would need to adjust the suspension , braking and LSD settings to suit the tyre.

As for the comment about people who use RS tyres not being able to go so well on sports tyres, I do just fine in the seasonals thanks very much:lol:
I think for a guy as blind as me that still uses the DS3 and X and square to do the important stuff, top 1000 in his first lap or two is not too shabby.

A Little Secret I have learned over the years, Fast guys are just fast! Whatever tyres their vehicle is on, or for that matter, however many wheels their vehicle has. Just ask Schumacher or Valentino Rossi
 
Before I have people coming here and hating on me to use the search button, I did. I searched "tire" and couldn't find the answer to my question.

Anyways now to my question. I have a praiano63 tuned 550pp Diablo GT2, and I joined an online lobby with people using racing softs. So I bought some RS tires and got onto the track(Mazda Leguna Seca) for practice. Going into the first turn the car felt like it was not sticking to the road surface like it should be. After driving the first lap, I came to conclusion that the car was just incredibly lose in the turns and very difficult to control. So I put on the SS tires that the car was tuned to use and it felt noticeably better. I was a bit confused that RS tires were not as grippy as SS tires. I remember from GT5 that putting on RS tires on any car would make it handle better. Is this because the Diablo is a MR car? If so, does this same problem exist on AWD, FF, and FR cars?

More grip will bring the quirks out of a tune, the quirks get faded into the grey with sports tires.
 
Back