A really weird problem with my XInput/DirectInput Steering Wheel

Hungary
Bács-Kiskun
Writing this with my current English knowledge will be a pain, so there's a chance that somebody will not understand it.

So I have a cheap SPEEDLINK Drift O.Z. steering wheel. As I wrote in the title it has two options to choose from. The first one is DirectInput (for 32bit games), and the second one is XInput (for 64bit games, in this case the computer thinks it's a Xbox 360 Controller, but works with 32bit games as well). I play games in 64bit (because of performance reasons), so I always use the XInput option.

Here comes the problem:
When I enable the Force-Feedback option in games, after some seconds the steering wheel automatically changes to DirectInput mode, which will lead the game to not recognizing the steering wheel (in this case I have to restart the game), or crash. This happens in Assetto Corsa when I approach the Hoheneichen on the Nürburgring Nordschleife (At the exact same location!), and it happens in Euro Truck Simulator 2 when I touch a bump, so when I should feel the Force-Feedback.

When I turn off the Force-Feedback, the XInput mode won't change! And playing without Force-Feedback is quite lifeless you know. :indiff:
Has everyone encountered with problem like this? If so, do you have any idea what's causing it?

I have Windows 10 Pro on my computer (maybe not so important information, but knowing how many problems this OS can cause...)

Hopefully I wrote everything understandably. Thank you in advance!

Did it work before, or is it always like this?

Does is start in DI mode and you have to switch it to XInput every time? If so, that probably means it's getting reset, which could either be a problem with the driver or firmware, or the power supply. It might be worth trying with the FFB settings set very weak to see if the strength causes it or not.

I don't really have any ideas though, apart from the usual Windows USB stuff - uninstall driver, reinstall, try different ports, etc.

Did it work before, or is it always like this?

Does is start in DI mode and you have to switch it to XInput every time? If so, that probably means it's getting reset, which could either be a problem with the driver or firmware, or the power supply. It might be worth trying with the FFB settings set very weak to see if the strength causes it or not.

I don't really have any ideas though, apart from the usual Windows USB stuff - uninstall driver, reinstall, try different ports, etc.
Thank you for the reply!

Yes, it's always like this.
It always starts in DirectInput, and I have to switch to XInput every time.

Thank you once again, will try your advices later!

I guess so, but it isnt real FFB though. They are rumble effects, which work a lot different from how Proper FFB works. You wont experience over/understeer etc.

Yeah, true enough. It's easy to say that a little bit more (double?) would get 'proper' FFB... but then a chunk more would get my setup*... and then a couple chunks more would get your tempting list... where does it end? :)

* excluding entry ticket to PC Master Race, which never ends

Yeah, true enough. It's easy to say that a little bit more (double?) would get 'proper' FFB... but then a chunk more would get my setup*... and then a couple chunks more would get your tempting list... where does it end? :)

* excluding entry ticket to PC Master Race, which never ends

Rumble effects and ffb are a big difference.If OP is planning to do more simracing (especially Assetto Corsa) the Speedlink just doesnt cut it. But of course to each his own.

Rumble effects and ffb are a big difference.If OP is planning to do more simracing (especially Assetto Corsa) the Speedlink just doesnt cut it. But of course to each his own.
Oh, it's just okay for me (the 180° steering angle could be more though).

And, if I would buy a better steering wheel, I would buy a racing seat, a shifter, so I couldn't stop :lol:

Back