A request for community opinion

• Thread starter Ialyrn
  • 10 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, not really been around too much; both on the forums and especially in Forza. But I have a bit of a quandary at the moment. I have been running rivals laps in FM6 for the past week or so at the request of someone, and after a couple of months off them asking me; I decided to setup my wheel and have at it. Things have been going ok, and it has been quite fun..... till today that is.

I set a lap time on Sonoma GP in R class rivals using the BMW M3 GT2, the time itself is immaterial, what isnt though is this person has since accused me of corner cutting on this particular lap. After reviewing the lap after they told me, I can honestly say that the only place where I feel I pushed perhaps a tad too far, was at the final chicane before the last corner. I even admitted that via xbox live messages when they brought it to my attention. The rest of the lap is where I fail to see anything else that could be construed as corner cutting, and I apparently cut a few more corners on this lap. But I am not without humility, so I wanted to put it to the people on here and ask for a wider scope of opinion and judgement on the matter; and more than happy to be proven wrong. Last thing I want to do is become a cheater, and more than happy to adjust my lines in future if the needed.

Here is the lap:

Its been a long time, hope all is well!

As for the vid, You rode the curb on maybe two turns early on, but your tires never exceeded that. Looked to be more of the inside line of the curb anyways. That's not severe at all, and wouldn't call that an issue. I do agree with you about the Chicane, but with how restrictive that turn seems, its can be tricky. To be honest, I believe the person is just over-reacting.

Its been a long time, hope all is well!

Im doing ok, cant really complain; definitely better than I was this time last year. How are you?

As for the vid. You rode the curb on maybe two turns early on, but your tires never exceeded that. Looked to be more of the inside line of the curb anyways. That's not severe at all, and wouldn't call that an issue. I do agree with you about the Chicane, but with how restrictive that turn seems, its can be tricky. To be honest, I believe the person is just over-reacting.

That was pretty much my view. I really did push the limits on the chicane, though I do admit I never noticed during the run how much I took on it; so I am glad in that instance it was pointed out to me. But with regards to the rest of the lap, I just cant see myself.

Im doing ok, cant really complain; definitely better than I was this time last year. How are you?
Good to hear! This year seems to be picking up at a nice pace for me, work wise and just everything in general.

That was pretty much my view. I really did push the limits on the chicane, though I do admit I never noticed during the run how much I took on it; so I am glad in that instance it was pointed out to me. But with regards to the rest of the lap, I just cant see myself.
I do that often too, and because I don't bother to watch replays I don't really even notice it most of the time, especially since I use interior view religiously lol. I would say don't let it bother you, it was very minor, not intentional, and the very slight cut wasn't going to make your time unbeatable. If anything the person is using it as an excuse to make himself feel better about the fact that he couldn't beat your time.

That was, in my opinion, a really nice and smooth lap.

Yes, you may have cut the curbs in the chicane a tad more than "real race car drivers" would have, but you didn't break any of the rules in the Forza game. 👍

It was a great lap, and the person in question is probably a bit jealous. :dopey:

Good to hear! This year seems to be picking up at a nice pace for me, work wise and just everything in general.

That's good to hear, we shall have to try and run some laps on Forza when we both have a chance.

I do that often too, and because I don't bother to watch replays I don't really even notice it most of the time, especially since I use interior view religiously lol. I would say don't let it bother you, it was very minor, not intentional, and the very slight cut wasn't going to make your time unbeatable. If anything the person is using it as an excuse to make himself feel better about the fact that he couldn't beat your time.

I can certainly modify my line on the chicane, which I intend to do anyway.

That was, in my opinion, a really nice and smooth lap.

Thank you for the compliment.

That's good to hear, we shall have to try and run some laps on Forza when we both have a chance.
Funnily enough, I actually started playing it a little this past couple weeks too. If I ever see you online I'll send an invite if I'm going to play.

I can certainly modify my line on the chicane, which I intend to do anyway.
Yeah, make a faster lap without that last chicane, and then message that person back. Would be funny considering that they probably thought it would have been a slower lap without it lol.

That's some excellent driving, real fast and smooth.

I would consider that lap 100% clean. I try to drive and form my opinion on what's clean based upon what the game considers clean combined with the GT5/6 WRS rules, specifically this part:

• At Least 2 Tires must be in contact with track at all times.
    • In situations where contact with the track is not possible because tires are airborne (above the ground), then the run is only legal if at least two tires in-line would have made contact with the track if the car were not airborne.
    • If track contact cannot be 100% determined, then consider it dirty.
  • Rumble/ripple strips are part of the track.
  • No contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible

Unless I'm taking part in a series with it's own rules on what is legal, in which case their rules overwrite everything.

If there were no agreed upon rules with this person as to what stops a lap being clean, for them to call you out on that (IMO) completely reasonable corner is ridiculous.

--

I've been running the Oldsmobile at VIR Grand West for fun recently and can only fear what this person would say if they saw my fastest lap :D.

That's some excellent driving, real fast and smooth.

Thanks Lukas, I do like to be as smooth as I can with my inputs.

I would consider that lap 100% clean. I try to drive and form my opinion on what's clean based upon what the game considers clean combined with the GT5/6 WRS rules, specifically this part:

Unless I'm taking part in a series with it's own rules on what is legal, in which case their rules overwrite everything.

If there were no agreed upon rules with this person as to what stops a lap being clean, for them to call you out on that (IMO) completely reasonable corner is ridiculous.

See this is the part I am really struggling to understand, as no matter how many times I look at that lap; I still cant see where else he is having an issue. According to this person, if you kick up dirt, then it is a corner cut. Not even making that up:

dirtt_by_ialyrnaeloria-dbaj0g6.jpg

Yeah, make a faster lap without that last chicane, and then message that person back. Would be funny considering that they probably thought it would have been a slower lap without it lol.

Took your suggestion on board and set a new lap time:
my_great_capture_screenshot_2017_05_26_21_39_11_by_ialyrnaeloria-dbaj0iu.png

Changed the line at the chicane, still ran the kerbs though; just not as much as I did before.

Very neat and tidy. Second lap was fine through the chicane too.

Outside of that last chicane in the first run, it was all good to my eye. Just managing the kerbs well and making the most of the available track. Unless the expectation is to not use the kerbs at all, I'm not sure what you could have been accused of (because on tracks like Sonoma, the kerbs seem to be a little short, meaning you drag up a bit of dirt on the way out of the apex).

Very neat and tidy. Second lap was fine through the chicane too.

Outside of that last chicane in the first run, it was all good to my eye. Just managing the kerbs well and making the most of the available track. Unless the expectation is to not use the kerbs at all, I'm not sure what you could have been accused of (because on tracks like Sonoma, the kerbs seem to be a little short, meaning you drag up a bit of dirt on the way out of the apex).

Aye, not really sure what he is trying to get too in all honesty.

Latest Posts

Back