Hi there,
This first part of the review is going to focus mainly in the menus, cars, glitches and general feel of the game. The online part of it is going to be added later since I’m a GT organizer of events and prefer to first explore all the possibilities offline and after look at the online mode.
The general feel to the menus is quite good. IMO, they are simple, easy to understand and work fast. Some features as easy access to your garage when you want to change your car and shortcuts to other menus by pressing start work quite well and especially fast when compared to gt5.
Museum cards are gone?
Oh well, I never saw then anyway. I know some users do but if I want to check automotive history there's always Google, Wikipedia and other sources of information.
I prefer having the game loading faster and, for example, the way paint chips are now organized serves as another example that some work was done to serve this purpose.
Glitches present in the game?
So what else is new?!? Nowadays you have recalls of thousands of real cars by brands with great rep like Mercedes and even Ferrari because the first units out of production have flaws they didn't anticipate. At least your copy of the game didn't caught fire like some Ferrari’s did (and trust me... I do love Ferraris!).
GT6 is not going to be different in a world where the gaming industry is very aggressive and GT series have to keep up or risk being ditched and forgotten. For my part I’m confident that kazunori is going to address the major issues but the fact is that I don't feel the GT6 is just a GT5.5 or a preview of the actual GT6 in PS4.
It feels like a game that, despite having some time pressing issues and flaws, is well balanced game and most important of all, built based on some of the feedback of its most loyal client, the GT gaming community. Of course not all of the feedback given but the community is going to be applied to the game but I feel quite happy that some of the changes made are undisputedly linked to the feedback given on what was wrong with the gt5 and what could be improved.
The money system is hard and thought out to make a buck to PD?
I have to agree on that. PD really made a statement here: "we're out to get some extra money like others do...” Others game of this sort are already working this angle and I don't agree with it but my answer is simple on this: Buy new tracks and maybe one or two cars okay. Credits? No way José...
I already paid good money for my 15th anniversary edition...
But at the same if you want to put a positive spin on this matter I’m quite happy that I have to "work" hard to get some of my favourite cars. Instead of just having them sent by someone to do a race or just to cruise around a track (only to put the car aside because no one else wants to race with it online) , now I have to be more "picky" about my choices and do a better management of my hard earned credits. If you think about this PD may just have given this game, without intention, the continuity some many gamers want because it's not just about finishing the career mode, it's also about having all your dreams fulfilled concerning your garage goodies.
AI behaviour?
It's not perfect and your opponents do stopies when braking (ROTFL...!) but the fact is that yesterday, for the first time in my GT history, I was overtaken doing one of the missions and imagine my surprise when the opponent pushed me off-track because I was squeezing him on a tight bend, so for sure improvements have been made and I suspect the level of challenge is going to be up as you progress in the career mode. For now I’ll keep saying that if you want a decent challenge in the career mode always choose a car with less 50 or more pp's than the maximum set. Your opponents cars are not going to reach the limit of pp's set so take that into consideration when choosing the car.
Garage
As a blogger/organizer of GT events I feel over the moon that all cars are for sale since it is one less thing to worry about. No more misses because the money's there but the car that isn't...
I liked the old configuration where you'd have bigger thumbnails but I’m willing to part it in order to have quicker access.
The driving...
This is for sure the subject where I have to play more and experience further cars to get a definitive opinion. For now I’m a bit disappointed that oversteer is less frequent or when it happens is so sudden that you don´t have reflexes to counter it.
But the braking is almost perfect! I've been doing all the racing, missions and goodwood events with the ABS and traction control turned off and let me tell you that the braking part has progressed significantly!
The overall feeling is much better than in GT Academy'03, which for me was truly disappointing because I got the feeling that you'd only be quick if your tires where screaming like a 5 year old when you take him off his favourite game.
In real life you know when you're losing grip you're losing time somehow GT6 feels better than GT Academy'03. Glad they got that sorted out...
NOTE: You have reached this part kudos to you because you didn't fall asleep!
For now I guess it's enough to get an idea of what my considerations are for the game. It's a good evolution, with nice new tracks and features included. Doesn't feel like a simple upgrade from the GT5 and there's lots to discover like waving flaps on rally cars and other small details that show attention to detail.
Cheers,
N.
This first part of the review is going to focus mainly in the menus, cars, glitches and general feel of the game. The online part of it is going to be added later since I’m a GT organizer of events and prefer to first explore all the possibilities offline and after look at the online mode.
The general feel to the menus is quite good. IMO, they are simple, easy to understand and work fast. Some features as easy access to your garage when you want to change your car and shortcuts to other menus by pressing start work quite well and especially fast when compared to gt5.
Museum cards are gone?
Oh well, I never saw then anyway. I know some users do but if I want to check automotive history there's always Google, Wikipedia and other sources of information.
I prefer having the game loading faster and, for example, the way paint chips are now organized serves as another example that some work was done to serve this purpose.
Glitches present in the game?
So what else is new?!? Nowadays you have recalls of thousands of real cars by brands with great rep like Mercedes and even Ferrari because the first units out of production have flaws they didn't anticipate. At least your copy of the game didn't caught fire like some Ferrari’s did (and trust me... I do love Ferraris!).
GT6 is not going to be different in a world where the gaming industry is very aggressive and GT series have to keep up or risk being ditched and forgotten. For my part I’m confident that kazunori is going to address the major issues but the fact is that I don't feel the GT6 is just a GT5.5 or a preview of the actual GT6 in PS4.
It feels like a game that, despite having some time pressing issues and flaws, is well balanced game and most important of all, built based on some of the feedback of its most loyal client, the GT gaming community. Of course not all of the feedback given but the community is going to be applied to the game but I feel quite happy that some of the changes made are undisputedly linked to the feedback given on what was wrong with the gt5 and what could be improved.
The money system is hard and thought out to make a buck to PD?
I have to agree on that. PD really made a statement here: "we're out to get some extra money like others do...” Others game of this sort are already working this angle and I don't agree with it but my answer is simple on this: Buy new tracks and maybe one or two cars okay. Credits? No way José...
I already paid good money for my 15th anniversary edition...
But at the same if you want to put a positive spin on this matter I’m quite happy that I have to "work" hard to get some of my favourite cars. Instead of just having them sent by someone to do a race or just to cruise around a track (only to put the car aside because no one else wants to race with it online) , now I have to be more "picky" about my choices and do a better management of my hard earned credits. If you think about this PD may just have given this game, without intention, the continuity some many gamers want because it's not just about finishing the career mode, it's also about having all your dreams fulfilled concerning your garage goodies.
AI behaviour?
It's not perfect and your opponents do stopies when braking (ROTFL...!) but the fact is that yesterday, for the first time in my GT history, I was overtaken doing one of the missions and imagine my surprise when the opponent pushed me off-track because I was squeezing him on a tight bend, so for sure improvements have been made and I suspect the level of challenge is going to be up as you progress in the career mode. For now I’ll keep saying that if you want a decent challenge in the career mode always choose a car with less 50 or more pp's than the maximum set. Your opponents cars are not going to reach the limit of pp's set so take that into consideration when choosing the car.
Garage
As a blogger/organizer of GT events I feel over the moon that all cars are for sale since it is one less thing to worry about. No more misses because the money's there but the car that isn't...
I liked the old configuration where you'd have bigger thumbnails but I’m willing to part it in order to have quicker access.
The driving...
This is for sure the subject where I have to play more and experience further cars to get a definitive opinion. For now I’m a bit disappointed that oversteer is less frequent or when it happens is so sudden that you don´t have reflexes to counter it.
But the braking is almost perfect! I've been doing all the racing, missions and goodwood events with the ABS and traction control turned off and let me tell you that the braking part has progressed significantly!
The overall feeling is much better than in GT Academy'03, which for me was truly disappointing because I got the feeling that you'd only be quick if your tires where screaming like a 5 year old when you take him off his favourite game.
In real life you know when you're losing grip you're losing time somehow GT6 feels better than GT Academy'03. Glad they got that sorted out...
NOTE: You have reached this part kudos to you because you didn't fall asleep!
For now I guess it's enough to get an idea of what my considerations are for the game. It's a good evolution, with nice new tracks and features included. Doesn't feel like a simple upgrade from the GT5 and there's lots to discover like waving flaps on rally cars and other small details that show attention to detail.
Cheers,
N.
Last edited: