a take on simulation

  • Thread starter Thread starter doormeister
  • 22 comments
  • 1,325 views
Messages
58
After starting GT4 over a couple of times, here is how I'm approaching a 'simulated' game:

Don't load money or licenses from GT3.

No nitro.

Manual transmission.

Any accident that would put me in the hospital, exit the game. No bumper cars. Try to avoid accidents.

B lic. events - use up to semi-racing mods, no racing mods.

B-spec.ing a long race for money is like borrowing - try to borrow as little as possible.

Go for highest win ratio, try to bring in the dough.

No restarting game without saving - auto save on.

Except for the Beginner Truck and 4wd races, don't use the Dodge Larame for building A-spec points.

Modify cars like I would if I was going to the track: put the best tires on I could afford (without going overboard), then throw out the back seats ($1000 weight loss). Clutch, suspension, air cleaner/pipes as needed. LSD on any front wheel drive.

Any suggestions to increase the simulation of the game? Like this approach?
 
Only one race a day would be realistic but I doubt anyone would do that.
 
i like ur approach, pretty much same as mine i dont use driving aids or nos always manual gears, i dont exit the race if i crash bad dont see the point if its a long race id get annoyed with the game that way, after all its just a game..

u can play bumper cars sometimes, just look at jason plato..

i cant turn my ps2 off coz the game wont load again lol,

i always drive with a car that best matches the other cars in the race to make it more exciting gets the adrenaline going with the exception of endurance races as i would rather win the race and not have to do it again.

but other than that i try and play it like i am in the car, a steering wheel would be nice but dont have the $
 
A steering wheel setup with a clutch and a 6 speed would make it better... only if
 
If you crash and get behind a lap in an enduro, don't even think about restarting, most of the time you can catch up, even with equal cars. AI don't go full throttle.
 
electroclash
Use a steering wheel and only 1 foot at a time you cheaters! :D

im a left foot braker and that causes a prob for me wen i practice real drivin (im 15 going fo ma license)

ill try though
 
how does it cause you problems? give urself whiplash? lol
 
nerd...

In dead corners (L shape ones) AIs stop almost fully but I don't because I like crashing into one and watch it slides through the sand and hits the wall while I shift up and let it smoke my exhaust. AIs are just too dumb in this game.
 
maybe cars like the Mercedes SL500, SL55AMG, SL600, SL65AMG and SLR Mclaren to my knowledge can only be driven in auto mode in real life, so thats what i do in the game, but for cars that can be manual driven, like a WRX i drive in manual

another, IMO a for simulation foot movement is lifting off the throttle for a fraction of a second before you shift gears in manual, time loss is really minimal and can make the racing a bit tighter, it is a slight handicap though, but gets me more involved and gives you a better sense of accomplishment. i think maybe it prepares you for real life driving too?
 
Nice approach, but I would hate to end up in the hospital for slighty scraping the side of a who-knows-what. I mean, a slam I can understand.
 
exhorst
maybe cars like the Mercedes SL500, SL55AMG, SL600, SL65AMG and SLR Mclaren to my knowledge can only be driven in auto mode in real life, so thats what i do in the game, but for cars that can be manual driven, like a WRX i drive in manual

another, IMO a for simulation foot movement is lifting off the throttle for a fraction of a second before you shift gears in manual, time loss is really minimal and can make the racing a bit tighter, it is a slight handicap though, but gets me more involved and gives you a better sense of accomplishment. i think maybe it prepares you for real life driving too?

i lift my foot off the gas when i shift....i pretend theres a clutch with my left foot :dopey: and sometimes hit the brake by accident....but seriously, if you want simulation then only use your right foot for brake and gas....oh and your right exhorst, ALL new Mercedes Benz use an AMG auto gearbox....gh3y...why would you use a 5 spd in a 600+hp car...look at the M5 with 7 LOL
 
Only using you're right foot for brake and gas doesn't make it more simulation. Plenty or race drivers will left foot brake.
 
electroclash
Use a steering wheel and only 1 foot at a time you cheaters! :D
I'm used to 125cc shifter go-karts, and left foot braking is a very useful technique especialy under low grip conditions, so I always use both feet when playing GT4. If I had a clutch, a more realistic feeling on the brake pedal and an H pattern gearshift, I would probably right foot brake because in this case I always "toe-heel" to get the lower gear in. In fact I never shift gears down one at a time, I go for the best braking I can do and then shift directly down to the gear I need.

PhM
 
doormeister
After starting GT4 over a couple of times, here is how I'm approaching a 'simulated' game:
I play pretty much the same way. I don't exit races after a serious crash, I consider that this race has turned into practice and keep going. It's also good for getting used to calming down and getting the concentration back as quick as possible. I always upgrade the car performance wise, rather than power wise. First modifications are always weight reduction first, then suspension, then tires. I'm doing it this way because it's useless to have wonderful tires if you don't have the suspension that will allow these tires to give their best, while it's always better to have a fine tuned suspension even with average tires. I have not B spec'ed any race until now, I might have to for the longest races unless I plan these to be done during vacation time.

PhM
 
live4speed
Only using you're right foot for brake and gas doesn't make it more simulation. Plenty or race drivers will left foot brake.


yea....formula 1 and rally....dude when you drive an auto, you dont use your left foot for braking, but logitech had to be stupid and not offer a DFP model for serious racers with a 6spd+R H Tranny and Clutch pedal option....
 
STiGoFLyBy
Only one race a day would be realistic but I doubt anyone would do that.

Going in that direction you should also take traveling time in consideration (including time to recover from jetlag :dopey: )
p.e. Schwarzwald Liga B:
race #1 Nurburgring
travel halfway around the globe to enter race #2: Tokyo
that's a long flight and one h@ll of a jetlag to recover from :ouch:
 
doormeister
Any suggestions to increase the simulation of the game? Like this approach?

Maybe ... complete all events of the license you have , before trying the following license tests.


Anyway , nice approach.
Limitations to engine and trasmissions parts ,and displacement too , should be included in the game.
 
Good ideas here. I like the one-foot thing, and lifting off the gas to shift. But a lot of races would have been lost with only one foot...

I have been completing all games in my current license before moving on. That just makes sense, unless there is a particular car needed that I can win in the next license.

I just recently started playing around with the B-spec dude, and he just won the Renault Megane championship for me(!). This doesn't fit into my game philosophy, but I just got tired of going through all those manufacturer races with fairly ordinary cars. He's actually coming along pretty good, but needs a little more work on passing.

And no, I have kept playing a few times lately even after a serious crash. Just a desire to keep the game moving so I can get to where I was in the last game I played and quit - past 60% I think. Today I'm at 47%.
 
If you want to play a real SIM the PC is the only place to. GT4 is pretty realistic but compared to some racers on the PC I cant really call GT4 a sim.
 
nismo4life
yea....formula 1 and rally....dude when you drive an auto, you dont use your left foot for braking, but logitech had to be stupid and not offer a DFP model for serious racers with a 6spd+R H Tranny and Clutch pedal option....
You'd be screwed in the F1, GT-R concept and G-R LM, M5 and Nike One then wouldn't you. Thoes 7th and 8th gears would be wasted. The clutch, I'd have liked, but Logitech didn't make GT4, GT4 doesn't have an option for a clutch, and if it was going to have had PD would have told Logitech when the wheel was being designed. I don't see the point in a H shifter on a gaming wheel because it'll only make it useless in certain cars or with certain games, a up/down sequential gets rid of any problems like what happens when you get in an 8 speed car, they won't make a H box for that it's be too big. Besides a H box has more chance of breaking, it'd have extra parts and cogs you don't really need. A clutch though is something I'd have liked to see.
 
Hey! that's about i'm going do the same thing!, but one more q's, if you're B-spcing at 24 hours, and ur b-spec suck and crashed... are you gonna quit and start again? or no?
 
Back