A Test Drive Unlimited Sequel is On Its Way From WRC Developer Kylotonn

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 976 comments
Seems like houses got replaced by upgradeable hotel room for Solar Crown based on the official website, that is quite dissapointing.
Would it be too much "trip" for me to think that at some point we could go to Hong Kong airport and take a flight to Ibiza? 😜️

Well it's not Japan, but it's great to see a driving game set in the far east for once. My only concern is, the roads will be far too narrow and gridlocked for the kind of high speed arcade racer this wants to be. I know from GRID that HK does have some really nice mountain roads though, so the drifters/touge runners will be happy at least.

Would be cool if they added Macau as an expansion pack down the line and allows you to fly between the two like Oahu/Ibiza. Just hope that the Guia circuit is faithfully modelled unlike the Laguna Seca in The Crew 😂

Edit: just checked google maps, the Gran Turismo 4 HK circuit is located on the mainland part and not the island so we can't drive it here. Boo...
I'm sure they'll buff the roads

I do wonder will they still keep the separate showrooms thing considering the size of the map or just cramp it in to be part of the hotel system.
Everyone that expects to get a TDU3 will be dissapointed. Its not a TDU3 and also from a different studio.
On the houses thing it will depend on how much you enjoy having them back then, my brother was glad they got rid of it for this TDU because he find it to be a chore in the past 2 games but I quite enjoy arranging cars in my garage when I revist the first game last year with the platinum mod.

*Edit
Seems like car showrooms will still be in game based on Discord community manager:

Last edited:
I'm sure they'll buff the roads
I don't know about that. Part of the appeal of previous TDU was the pretty faithful recreation of the roads. If you start playing with width and scaling, then might as well go the Forza Horizon/The Crew route and just make up your own roads with only the scenery inspired by the location. At least then you can design properly fun roads. HK is very small and dense so once you start widening roads, it will mess up the realism very quickly.

There wasn't any realism in street scales on Oahu or Ibiza 😄
Ok the dunce cap is on me for this one. I always thought they were 1:1 but upon closer inspection and comparing with google maps they definitely messed around with the smaller roads a bit. I only played TDU for a few hours and only tested TDU2 for a few minutes so I'm not that intimate with both games (not to mention having never been to Oahu or Ibiza).

Last edited:
Maybe just me... or does anyone have concerns about the game's setting given the geo-political climate of Hong Kong right now (especially post-Security Law passage)?

Last edited:
Maybe just me... or does anyone have concerns about the game's setting given the geo-political climate of Hong Kong right now (especially post-Security Law passage)?
Care to elaborate why or did you just happen to read someone asking something similar and decided to post it here? Not exactly sure what the correlation is to a game set in Hong Kong made by a French Developer.

Care to elaborate why or did you just happen to read someone asking something similar and decided to post it here? Not exactly sure what the correlation is to a game set in Hong Kong made by a French Developer.
If anything, Kylotonn will be smart enough to avoid any political references on TDUSC
True that, but one of issues I have would be potentially their moderation team dealing with players using certain protest slogans relating to the region (depending on how deep the customization are) and how it would cause a backlash from pro- or anti-mainland groups.

Mark my words, that would be headlines.

True that, but one of issues I have would be potentially their moderation team dealing with players using certain protest slogans relating to the region (depending on how deep the customization are) and how it would cause a backlash from pro- or anti-mainland groups.

The setting of that game has nothing to do with that, Animal Crossing got removed from sale in China because of players staging anti-mainland protest in it: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52269671

I don't think KT will want any of the pro or anti mainland related things in game to anger either side but if the players doing it, not much they can do to avoid it. At most they can try to censor whenever a car with protest slogan livery pops up.

What's going to be headlines? And again, what exactly would that change for the game?

What's going to be headlines? And again, what exactly would that change for the game?
I mean I think it’s pretty obvious that political censorship of a playerbase in a game that’s set in a part of the world with a turbulent political issue would be a pretty easy recipe for headlines, at least in the games journalism sphere. Possibly even mainstream journalism.

Well, everywhere except China. But they can hardly even play video games anymore anyways with all the laws and censorship surrounding them, and that’s if this game isn’t somehow banned in that country to begin with, which I can 99% guarantee it will be.

I mean I think it’s pretty obvious that political censorship of a playerbase in a game that’s set in a part of the world with a turbulent political issue would be a pretty easy recipe for headlines, at least in the games journalism sphere. Possibly even mainstream journalism.

Well, everywhere except China. But they can hardly even play video games anymore anyways with all the laws and censorship surrounding them, and that’s if this game isn’t somehow banned in that country to begin with, which I can 99% guarantee it will be.
Again , what does a law in a country have to do with a game made by a developer in a different country all together? What connection does said law have with the game and how would it change anything about said game? What is pretty obvious is the lack of a connection between these aspects. I doubt people making some kind of liveries in game or whatever is going to blow up as big as anyone is saying here, and I doubt Chinese Political slogans and what not are going to get banned unless they're somehow too explicit for the game itself - I would imagine that if they can don't have any curses and the typical things that would actually get banned, it'll likely get by without issues from the game developers.

Also, why would the game be banned in the country when literally nothing has happened? There's nothing in that article that can be linked to what's going on within the game.

Last edited:
Also, why would the game be banned in the country when literally nothing has happened?
China is an incredibly sensitive state when it comes to critisicm - just look at how they reacted to AUKUS. If the game is used by Chinese players for anything anti-CCP, the game gets banned. If the developers dare to make a single political reference in the game relating to China, the game gets banned. It's that simple. The easiest solution for KT is to just not bother releasing it in China.

China is an incredibly sensitive state when it comes to critisicm - just look at how they reacted to AUKUS. If the game is used by Chinese players for anything anti-CCP, the game gets banned. If the developers dare to make a single political reference in the game relating to China, the game gets banned. It's that simple. The easiest solution for KT is to just not bother releasing it in China.
Andwhat is being criticized for it to be immediately banned already? None of what is being said is connecting to the actual game itself and what it's doing. What is the game doing that has to pertain to that law that was posted?

And what is being criticized for it to be immediately banned already? None of what is being said is connecting to the actual game itself and what it's doing. What is the game doing that has to pertain to that law that was posted?
They banned Animal Crossing because of people using as an anti-China platform. They have done it before and will almost certainly do it again. It's one of the quirks of a communist dictatorship.

They banned Animal Crossing because of people using as an anti-China platform. They have done it before and will almost certainly do it again. It's one of the quirks of a communist dictatorship.
Ok, that answered nothing at all. I'm really not sure how to simplify the question any more than that, but the point is obviously being widely missed. You really didn't respond to a single thing that was asked there.

Last edited:
Ok, that answered nothing at all. I'm really not sure how to simplify the question any more than that, but the point is obviously being widely missed. You really didn't respond to a single thing that was asked there.
Yes, it did...
Again , what does a law in a country have to do with a game made by a developer in a different country all together?
The game gets banned in China.
What connection does said law have with the game and how would it change anything about said game?
I doubt people making some kind of liveries in game or whatever is going to blow up as big as anyone is saying here, and I doubt Chinese Political slogans and what not are going to get banned unless they're somehow too explicit for the game itself
China banned Animal Crossing for that very reason. The custom designs that can be made in that game were part of the protests. A livery editor would be a platform potentially used for political slogans, like in GT Sport when people used liveries to write messages to PD.
Also, why would the game be banned in the country when literally nothing has happened?
Nothing yet. As soon as political slogans are made in the game, or if the game has a single political message. The game gets banned. It's a simple as that.

China banned Animal Crossing for that very reason. The custom designs that can be made in that game were part of the protests. A livery editor would be a platform potentially used for political slogans, like in GT Sport when people used liveries to write messages to PD.
I still think that is not really a problem a devs can just fix it, unless they get rid of all customisation in game and probably text chat too.

The situation with Animal Crossing could happen to any game with a decent customisation but I do think Animal Crossing got caught in it since it is biggest thing during the lockdown last year and plenty of news around it about uniting people or even doing marriage in it or having virtual protest.

China banning games is not uncommon and it often have exclusive variants for China that removes skulls and blood since they don't allow those in games. They even banned Battlefield 4 for "cultural invasion and national security" because of a China DLC. China ban Plague Inc last year when coronavirus was at its peak in China, the devs wasn't even sure is it because of the theme of the game is the cause of the issue.

If China bans TDUSC there really not much KT can do to avoid it at all, setting the game in Hong Kong alone is not really an issue that will get it banned.

Last edited:
If China bans TDUSC there really not much KT can do to avoid it at all, setting the game in Hong Kong alone is not really an issue that will get it banned.
I agree, but if the developers have plot points in the game about the politics around Hong Kong, it won't be very good for the game.

I agree, but if the developers have plot points in the game about the politics around Hong Kong, it won't be very good for the game.
I don't see why KT will want to have any of that in game considering it will bring in more trouble. It is a racing game and story is the last thing anyone really care about it too. If they are planning on sticking to the previous 2 TDU games methods, the story will be nearly non-existant. Players just want a cool map to drive on, great variety of cars to use in it and a fun progression through the game.

But if it end up got banned because of virtual protest with protest slogan on cars made by players, that is really not the devs fault. Animal Crossing has no plot points on Hong Kong politics but it got banned because the players created them.

Last edited:
Even if they didn't release the game in mainland China or deal with HK politics plot/default content wise, I still feel there would be still consequences if the moderation team had to deal with user-created political messages (like what happened with ACNH), which was my primary point.

While in case of ACNH it was because of using what they had (imo), in case of TDU:SC I feel people making political messages in it would be doing so because they may find it appropriate/coincidental to put such messages in a game set in that region.

Even if they didn't release the game in mainland China or deal with HK politics plot/default content wise, I still feel there would be still consequences if the moderation team had to deal with user-created political messages (like what happened with ACNH), which was my primary point.

While in case of ACNH it was because of using what they had (imo), in case of TDU:SC I feel people making political messages in it would be doing so because they may find it appropriate/coincidental to put such messages in a game set in that region.
It really still depend on how big a situation it cause and I really doubt they can fully get rid of them even when actively looking for protest slogan on cars. Considering games like NFS and Forza has a ban on swastika and those still pops up every once a while.

I did remember that Nintendo put out statement on banning political messaging in their games but even then that didn't unban Animal Crossing for China. If China bans the game, it sucks for their local players but it is also not uncommon for them to just VPN out for the game too.

Yes, it did...
No, it literally didn't answer a singer questoin. Not sure how you're going to imply anyways. Go re-read them and point out how any of what you says is an answer to the specific questions I've asked.

I'm not asking that, everyone's already talking about it being banned yet it hasn't done anything. What is it doing within the game, and why would it get banned for doing it? I'm not asking about what may happen if a certain other thing happens. I'm asking what are they currently doing that they have to worry about?

That's in no way an answer. What exactly does that law posted have to currently do with the game and what they're doing. What is it that they're doing that is going to result in them getting banned before the game even comes out? This isn't a Dev issue, and what they are doing isn't the issue, it's the players, and that's why I asked why it's being put out that the Devs are going to be in hot water for some reason. What exactly is new about this predicament? Seems like a non-issue for devs to worry about in general, because the setting being noted by the original poster has nothing to do with how it can play out.

Yet the problem that was put forth about the games setting being the issue which if you would have read what was talking about, you would have known that's why I was asking. The actual in game location is irrelevant to the law, because it came happen to any game regardless of it's real life location, or not, hence Animal Crossing. The problem it self can present itself in most any game as simple using a games text/message options as it's said that they've even went out for games that were simply popular and caught their attention. Not sure how writing messages to PD is a political slogan, though.

Nothing yet. As soon as political slogans are made in the game, or if the game has a single political message. The game gets banned. It's a simple as that.
Which is literally what the questions were, about what's actually going on that you said you answered, that you absolutely didn't. Nothing can be done at that point if people decide to use the game how they're allowed to use the game. It's likely not a problem they're going to dig into either or worry about that much.

Last edited:
Back