A view of GT7s economy from a different angle (1.25) Updated.

Greece
Greece
Giorgos_Ferrari
  1. The thread was updated according to suggestions made by user @Dave A .
  2. Corrected some errors.
Im not copying a similar thread made by @Grimm6Jack a faw days ago, the idea came from a conversation i had on instagram under the controversial post with the multi million car grid. I have saved the post with all information censored but i don't now if im allowed to post it, so long story short this person argued the economy wasen't that bad because we got less money per hour on previous GTs. Now that wasen't right but it made a question pop up in my head : "Even if the payouts are bigger are they proportional to the total cost of buying every car in the game?" .

My approach to answering that question was insipired by @Samus's thread calculsting the total cost of all cars in GT7 but with a faw differences.
  1. i calculated the cost assuming everyone starts at 0 credits and the only available race to do is the highest paying/hour one.
  2. Prize car which are available for purchase in the car delership are included.
  3. All car price info for GT1-5 was taken from https://gran-turismo.fandom.com/wiki/Gran_Turismo_Car_List .
  4. Info for the credits/hour rates was taken from https://www.gtplanet.net/gt7-latest-update-has-outraged-fans-20220317/ .
  5. When a used car had a price range in its Gran Turismo Fandom page i added the cheapest one available.
  6. For cases i coulden't a price (Chevrolet SSR in GT5 for example) i added the next available price.
  7. Since this update gift cars for each game are taken into consideration .
  8. For Gran Turismo 1-4 the prize list is based of the PAL version, other versions may differ.
To address some of the criticism i reciaved last month.
  • I never claimed my scenario was/is realistic, like i say at the end of the thread 'This is a very rough calculation and of course not how things work exactly' . Thats why i urge potential future readers to check Grimm6Jack's thread as well.
  • If i was to consider the payouts given during the games i would have to factor in all possible play styles which is impossible .
  • I wiil continue to use the figures provided by Gtplanet because i cannot confirm Grimm6Jack's figures .
  • Originally i wanted to break down the cars into price ranges as suggested by @TonyLomas but this will take way too much time.
Without further ado lets begin.

Gran Turismo
Cars 161
Possible gift cars 29/161 (18.01%) (unlockable 15 Purchasable 14) .
Value of purchasable gift cars : Approximately 1,380,850 credits.
Total cost of remaining cars : Approximately 5,384,530 credits.

Gran Turismo 2
Cars 592.
Possible gift cars 95/592 (16.05%) (unlockable 90 Purchasable 5) .
Value of purchasable gift cars : Approximately 93,550 credits.
Total cost of remaining cars : 54,890,429 credits.

Gran Turismo 3
Cars 178.
Possible gift cars 108/178 (60.67%) (unlockable 55 Purchasable 53) .
Worth of purchasable gift cars : 11,084,930 credits.
Total cost of remaining cars : 10,629,700 credits.

Gran Turismo 4
EU
Cars 727.
Gift cars 157/727 (60.67%) (unlockable 142 Purchasable 15) .
Worth of purchasable gift cars : Approximately 11,752,876 credits.
Total cost of remaining cars : Approximately 102,299,821 credits.

US total car cost *without taking the purcasable gift cars into account Approximately 110,224,827 credits.

*The PAL version is more expensive due to the exclusive Esso Ultraflo Supra & Vauxhall cars.

Gran Turismo 5
Cars 1,075.
Gift cars 142/1075 (13.21%) (All are purchasable.) .
Total gift car worth : Approximately 146.297.274 credits.
Total cost of remaining cars : Approximately 347,384.668 credits.

Notes:

1. I didn't count the paid DLC cars .
  2. In cases where a cars was in the game both as a standard and premium model i counted the premium variant only.(Except in the case of the Jaguar XJR-9 because the premium model was paid DLC).
  3. I did not count the non DLC racing modifications.
  4. * I did not count the HPA VW Golf & Buick Special because i coulden't find any price.
Gran Turismo 6
Cars 1,245 .
Gift cars 41/1245 (3.29%) (All are purchasable) .
Total gift car worth : 25.637.280 credits.
Total cost of remaining cars : 540,667,221 credits.

Gran Turismo Sport
Cars 337 (*Excluding the Mercedes AMG Vision Gran Turismo) .
Cars purchasable with credits 324 .
Guaranteed gift cars 11/322 (3.26%) .
Guaranteed gift car worth : 8,250,000 credits. .
Total cost of remaining cars : 311,633,430 credits.

Gran Turismo 7 (1.25)
Cars 446.
Gift cars 96/446 (21.52%) (All are purchasable) .
Guaranteed gift car worth : 21,555,648 credits.
Total gift car value : From 22,771,848 to 25,209,348 depending on your luck with the championship rewards.

Total cost of remaining cars : Taking only guaranteed gift cars into account : 460.866.057 . Taking all gift cars into account 459.649.857 to 457.212.357.

Grind time

Gran Turismo

Purchasable cars 146.
Most expensive cars 500,000
Credits per car 368,880.
Max credits per hour 500,000.
Time to buy all purchasable cars 10,7 hours.
Average time per car 4,3 minutes .
Time to purchase most expensive car 1 hour.

Gran Turismo 2

Purchasable cars 502
Most expensive cars 2,000,000
Credits per car 109.343
Max credits per hour 1.350.000.
Time to buy all purchasable cars 40,6 hours.
Average time per car 4.8 minutes.
Time to purchase most expensive cars 1.4 hours .

Gran Turismo 3

Purchasable cars 131.
Most expensive cars 2,000,000.
Credits per car 81,142.
Max credits per hour 500,000.
Time to buy all purchasable cars 21,2 hours.
Average time per car 9.7 minutes.
Time to purchase most expensive car 4 hours.

Gran Turismo 4 EU

Purchasable cars 585
Most expensive cars 4,500,000.
Credits per car 174,871.
Max credits per hour 1,690,000.
Time to buy all purchasable cars 60.5 hours.
Average time per car 6,2 minutes.
Time to purchase most expensive car 2,6 hours.

*US 65.2 hours (previous method).

Gran Turismo 5

Purchasable cars 1,075.
Most expensive cars 20.000.000.
Credits per car 323,248.
Max credits per hour 870,000.
Time to buy all none gift cars 399,2 hours.
Average time per car 22,2 minutes .
Time to purchase most expensive car 22.9 hours.

Gran Turismo 6

Purchasable cars 1,245.
Most expensive cars 20.000.000
Credits per car 434.270.
Max credits per hour 3,550,000.
Time to buy all non gift cars 152,3 hours.
Average time per car 7.3 minutes.
Time to purchase most expensive car 5,6 hours.

Gran Turismo Sport
Purchasable cars 324.
Most expensive cars 20,000,000.
Credits per car 961,324.
Max credits per hour 2.000.400
Time to buy all purchasable with credits cars 155,7 hours.
Average time per car 28.8 minutes.
Time to purchase most expensive car 9.9 hours.

Gran Turismo 7 (1.25)

Purchasable cars 446
Most expensive cars 20.000.000
Credits per car. Taking only guaranteed gift cars into account :1.033.331,97. Taking all gift cars into account : From 1.030.605,06 to 1.025.139,81 .
Max credits per hour 1,650,000.
Time to buy all non gift cars
Taking only guaranteed gift cars into account : 279,3 ,hours. Taking all gift cars into account : From 278,5 to 277 hours
Average time per car from 37.5 to 37.2 minutes.
Time to purchase most expensive car 12.1 hours.

This is a very rough calculation and of course not how things work exactly, but it still proves the point. GT7s economy consists of PS3 era costs with PS3 era payouts (until yesterday) and PS4 grinding methods for a PS1 size car list. And to respond to part of TonyLomas's comment ; Quote 'I would expect every game to cost more to buy all the cars because hopefully there are more cars and a lot of the new cars are expensive'. Why should that be the case ?. Due to my disapointment with GT7 i bought Project Cars 2 a faw months ago and i was able to drive all cars immediately. I don't like that either maybe because im conditioned by Gran Turismo, however the big issue for GT7 is that in almost every racing game on PS4/5 you are driving the cars but in GT7 you are driving in order to get access to the cars you want to race.

'If GT7 took less time to buy all the cars everyone would complain that there's not enough content or cars in the game!.'

The thing is GT7 is having a content problem since the start, and given that in almost every racing game on PS4/5 you can drive better/newer cars making a large part of the content harder to obtain is not the way to go.

If people show enough interest i may do the same thing for GT7 version 1.07.

Last edited:
Those are one time rewards. When we talk about hourly rates of earning credits, we talk about repeatable events.
So it should be discounted from the overall 480m to get all cars? Because it is part of the game and basically where you will get money to buy super cars… that is where I got it to buy Legendaries.

Last edited:
So it should be discounted from the overall 480m to get all cars?
No? But it's not enough to buy them all, obviously, so you're going to need some sort of repeatable income afterwards. Hence, the listing of the best rates. I think most people understand those rates are end-game rates, once you've exhausted all one-time incomes.

No? But it's not enough to buy them all, obviously, so you're going to need some sort of repeatable income afterwards. Hence, the listing of the best rates. I think most people understand those rates are end-game rates, once you've exhausted all one-time incomes.
Yea but the time you need to get these cars are drastic decreased from what the OP says… that is why I’m saying it is not accurate or outdated.

When you exhausted all one-time incomes you don’t need 480m anymore.

Last edited:
I think that credit/hour rates very outdated.
I remember doing circuits experiences and getting over 1 million credits in less than 20 minutos… is that changed?
Good day, @Samus already answered the question but also as i point out.
i calculated the cost assuming everyone starts at 0 credits and the only available race to do is the highest paying/hour one.

I did it this way because in order to do what you suggest, i would
  1. Have to calculate the value of all prize cars which as i said i cannot at this time.
  2. Calculate the payouts from every race/challenge in every game, and although i can technically do that i have other things to do as well.
  3. Even if i do that it won't be 'accurate' because as you pointed out, people use thair credits differently and not just for buying cars.
Please keep in mind that i used the same method for every game so im not unfair to GT7. And as i said at the end of the post.

This is a very rough calculation and of course not how things work exactly,

I did it this way because in order to do what you suggest, i would
  1. Have to calculate the value of all prize cars which as i said i cannot at this time.
  2. Calculate the payouts from every race/challenge in every game, and although i can technically do that i have other things to do as well.
  3. Even if i do that it won't be 'accurate' because as you pointed out, people use thair credits differently and not just for buying cars.

I've done all this work for you already:

Your scenario is a lot more unrealistic, because it doesn't take into account prize cars and you don't have the best payout event at the start of each game.

The scenario I came up with it is about 95% or so accurate to how we would play the game and later grind (or grind in-between). The only thing that is not taken into account here is the tuning of cars for very specific events, but even then, the cost of such tuning wouldn't impact that much, as I stated, 5% or so since tuning is not nearly as expensive as full blown expensive cars and you also don't need to buy every single tuning part.

And speaking of tuning, it would only be worse in GT7's case because the chase the rabbit races that would make the average play need to tune for almost every race. Not to mention the tuning price in GT7 as well... There are cars that cost upwards of 500k to fully tune. In other Gran Turismos from 1 to 6 the max would be just a bit over 200k to fully tune a car.

Only thing I have left to complete is the price of all of the Standard cars of GT5 and GT6. And also take into account the seasonal events for those games. IIRC GT5 had about 200 of them, and one of them was an extremely great credit and XP grind, which was the Exper Ferrari Formula Challenge where you could get ~2.4 million in 14 minutes, which translates into over 10 million per hour.

I've done all this work for you already:
Good day, i noticed when you made your post but i have a question.

Your scenario is a lot more unrealistic,
Indeed , but i find a faw flaws in your methodology (besides not taking all cars for GT5/6 into account) .
  1. If WTC 600 in Tokyo offers 825.000 every 26 minutes meaning we can complete 2 runs in an hour how did you come up with 1.904.000 per hour? Im asking because due to this i cannot trust your other figures.
Not to mention the tuning price in GT7 as well... There are cars that cost upwards of 500k to fully tune. In other Gran Turismos from 1 to 6 the max would be just a bit over 200k to fully tune a car.
Did you check that yourself?.
Only thing I have left to complete is the price of all of the Standard cars of GT5 and GT6.
For GT6 you can take my figure for total cost if it helps.
And also take into account the seasonal events for those games.
Is that even posssible?.

A stat that I think is very important is grind time per car. Though the point is alluded to that GT5 and GT6 will take longer to earn all cars due to the sheer volume of them there's no truely comparable context there.

Gran Turismo:
6,765,380Cr
140 cars
48,324Cr per car
Max Cr per hr: 816,000Cr
Average time per car: 0 hours 3 minutes 34 seconds
Time to purchase most expensive car: 0 hours 36 minutes 46 seconds

Gran Turismo 2:
54,983,979Cr
650 cars
84,590Cr per car
Max Cr per hr: 5,500,000Cr
Average time per car: 0 hours 0 minutes 56 seconds
Time to purchase most expensive car: 0 hours 21 minutes 50 seconds

Gran Turismo 3:
21,694,630Cr
181 cars
119,859Cr per car
Max Cr per hr: 2,975,000Cr using the save/reload trick in the European Championship to win the Gillette Vertigo Race Car
Average time per car: 0 hours 2 minutes 26 seconds
Time to purchase most expensive car: 0 hours 40 minutes 21 seconds

Gran Turismo 4:
114,052,697Cr
721 cars
158,186Cr per car
Max Cr per hr: 4,393,750Cr
Average time per car: 0 hours 2 minutes 10 seconds
Time to purchase most expensive car: 1 hours 1 minutes 28 seconds

Gran Turismo 5:
493,681,942Cr
1074 cars
459,666Cr per car
Max Cr per hr: 1,464,000Cr
Average time per car: 0 hours 18 minutes 51 seconds
Time to purchase most expensive car: 13 hours 39 minutes 40 seconds

Gran Turismo 6:
566,304,601Cr
1247 cars
454,133Cr per car
Max Cr per hr: 4,048,000Cr
Average time per car: 0 hours 6 minutes 44 seconds
Time to purchase most expensive car: 4 hours 56 minutes 27 seconds

Gran Turismo Sport:
319,883,430Cr
338 cars
946,400Cr per car
Max Cr per hr: Struggling to find an accurate figure for this one

Gran Turismo 7:
480,364,715Cr
444 cars
1,081,902Cr per car
Max Cr per hr: 1,904,000Cr
Average time per car: 0 hours 34 minutes 2 seconds
Time to purchase most expensive car: 10 hours 29 minutes 04 seconds

It's clear from GT5 onwards the grind took a significant upturn and that's where people really began complainng about the ingame economy in Gran Turismo games. It's certainly when i did.

It did surprise me that GT7 wasn't quite as bad as GT5 to purchase the most expensive (I expected it to be worse), though we have to remember, back in it's day you could earn Cr from races twice as fast in GT5 with the daily login bonuses. This would half the time taken to buy not only the most expensive car but also the average pricd car which is already faster than GT7, putting GT7 firmly in last place on both counts.

I don't mind a game simply having so much content it takes twice as long to play through, but I want to feel like I am getting somewhere, progressing and not repeating the same parts of the game over and over again. If I have to grind the same event for over 10hrs to buy one car I'm just not going to do it. But I could spend 10hrs working through the game, buying cars and making progress.

Last edited:
Indeed , but i find a faw flaws in your methodology (besides not taking all cars for GT5/6 into account) .
  1. If WTC 600 in Tokyo offers 825.000 every 26 minutes meaning we can complete 2 runs in an hour how did you come up with 1.904.000 per hour? Im asking because due to this i cannot trust your other figures.

I stated that I would do it for the standard cars as well. And I've pretty much updated, right now, the OP with all the GT5 cars. Only GT6 left.

That value is an "average".

825k ------> 26 minutes
X ------> 60 minutes (1hour)

X = (825k x 60) / 26 = ~1.904 million

I did this for all Gran Turismos. There's no flaw here.

Did you check that yourself?.

I played all the games, so yes, I know... In GT5 and GT6 the most you would waste upgrading a car fully would be over 200k. Only the RM (racing modifications) cars would cost more but those are STAND ALONE cars, which have their own price (which I considered in the car list for GT5).

I actually do have a sheet with ALL the tuning parts costs of GT7. Some cars do take 500k to fully tune in GT7.
I do however, not have for any of the other Gran Turismos... And probably won't bother with it due to the sheer amount of time I would waste in doing so.

Is that even posssible?.

Can't say it's impossible, but it's really hard to find all that information...

Personally, I think the main stats missing from here are the total number of cars and a break down of numbers of cars in price ranges. Under 1 million, 1 million, 1.1 to 5 million, more than 5 million for example.

I would expect every game to cost more to buy all the cars because hopefully there are more cars and a lot of the new cars are expensive. If GT7 took less time to buy all the cars everyone would complain that there's not enough content or cars in the game!

The amount of time to make money is important. Even more important is the fact that you can't make money from other means like selling cars, winning cars repeatedly, b spec racing, selling liveries, receiving gift cars from other players or racing in a slower car for a bonus etc.

'Generally' speaking the cars are a similar price to GT6 and GT Sport. There's just more expensive cars to buy and less ways to make money than previously.

A stat that I think is very important is grind time per car. Though the point is alluded to that GT5 and GT6 will take longer to earn all cars due to the sheer volume of them there's no truely comparable context there.
Indeed, i wanted to do that but ill have to calculate the prize car values first, and although @Grimm6Jack did it already, i suspect its not in the way i wanted to , and i doubt he would've gone through the trouble in order to assist me.
825k ------> 26 minutes
X ------> 60 minutes (1hour)

X = (825k x 60) / 26 = ~1.904 million
Im not the best in math but if an hour is 60 minutes and a run at tokyo takes roughly 26 minutes (2 completed races per hour) shoulden't it be 825.000 x2 = 1.650.000 per hour ?.
played all the games, so yes, I know...
Fair.
I do however, not have for any of the other Gran Turismos... And probably won't bother with it due to the sheer amount of time I would waste in doing so.
Understandable, however In that case your previous statement about the tuning prices is at least very doubtful .
Personally, I think the main stats missing from here are the total number of cars
I could include that
and a break down of numbers of cars in price ranges. Under 1 million, 1 million, 1.1 to 5 million, more than 5 million for example.
I don't thats neccesary , and besides that would take too much time when the point will remain the same.
I would expect every game to cost more to buy all the cars because hopefully there are more cars and a lot of the new cars are expensive.
The problem isen't the car pricing necceserily but the event payout in proportion to the increased prices.
If GT7 took less time to buy all the cars everyone would complain that there's not enough content or cars in the game!
Thats a legitimate issue since the start and dragging the game out in order to cover it its not the solution.

Im not the best in math but if an hour is 60 minutes and a run at tokyo takes roughly 26 minutes (2 completed races per hour) shoulden't it be 825.000 x2 = 1.650.000 per hour ?
No, that's 1,650,000Cr in 52 minutes, you could put the remaning 8 minutes towards completng another run. The maths is sound on that calcualtion.

No, that's 1,650,000Cr in 52 minutes, you could put the remaning 8 minutes towards completng another run. The maths is sound on that calcualtion.
Yes but still with a 3rd run we will go beyond 1 hour (1.18 if im not mistaken) so should it count since we won't reciave the extra 250.000 without going beyond 1 hour?.

Yes but still with a 3rd run we will go beyond 1 hour (1.18 if im not mistaken) so should it count since we won't reciave the extra 250.000 without going beyond 1 hour?.
The maximum Cr per hour is an average, there's no reason to assume the player plays for 60 minutes then switches the game off.

It's all about averages, if a person completes that race 3 times taking 1hr 18 minutes to do so and earning 2,475,000Cr in the process, they have earned 1,904,000Cr per hour on average.

Last edited:
I’m liking all these stats. I don’t recall GT5 being a massive grind to get the highest priced cars but that may be down to…. car trading?

This just made me think of all the exploits I used to skip the grind in previous GT games.

Was it GT5 where you could gift cars to freinds?

Cos I remember I figured out an exploit when I copied my game save to a usb, then traded the car out to an alt account… then copied my usb save back to my ps3… this duplicating the high value cars. This was later patched as they reduced the maximum value of the cars you could trade.

And gt6… I think… there was a weird glitch with loading the game up… pre-patches (without updating it)and you could buy a certain dlc car for real cheap, update the game and then sell it for loads of money?

(Maybe I got those 2 games mixed up?)

And gt sport…. There was a glitch where you could earn loads of xp and money by running certain settings.. 1 lap of nurb and entering the pit backwards meant you could complete the race in like 30 seconds.

I don’t recall finding exploits for earlier games and gt7 doesn’t really have anything quite comparable to them imo
There’s afk methods and the roulette ticket glitch but the tomahawk thing stil left you competing many many races

Last edited:
GT6 had weekly A-Spec events that mostly paid good. Good selection of weekly events so you actually enjoy the game racing instead of grinding the same event over and over for months now.
I've managed to get almost all cars in GT6 (didn't buy the lower spec versions) without feeling I was grinding to get credits.

First of all my apologies for the late reply, i didn't get a notification.

. I don’t recall GT5 being a massive grind to get the highest priced cars but that may be down to…. car trading?
I think it was mostly to the seasonal events as @salvananez said.
GT6 had weekly A-Spec events that mostly paid good.

Was it GT5 where you could gift cars to freinds?
Yes
Cos I remember I figured out an exploit when I copied my game save to a usb, then traded the car out to an alt account… then copied my usb save back to my ps3… this duplicating the high value cars. This was later patched as they reduced the maximum value of the cars you could trade.
Never heard of that one.
And gt6… I think… there was a weird glitch with loading the game up… pre-patches (without updating it)and you could buy a certain dlc car for real cheap, update the game and then sell it for loads of money?
Yes you are refering to the Mercedes Vision Gran Turismo.
And gt sport…. There was a glitch where you could earn loads of xp and money by running certain settings..
You must mean the lobby rubber band.
1 lap of nurb and entering the pit backwards meant you could complete the race in like 30 seconds.
Ah yea i've used this one.

Latest Posts

Back