A way to reorganize classes & race rulings in a future title.

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 0 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
1. What cars are generally included in each class?

-I'm not sure how much each class follows a motif of a certain car archetype, versus being based on a general window of time. In other words, I wonder if a car that seems like it'd clearly follow the motif of one group would go into another if it has a sufficiently high/low average laptime compared to the other cars of that initial class.

-Gr.1 continues to keep LMPs, some VGTs, and Group C racers, keeping in line with its "Sports Prototype" motif. However, it also would include the new hypercar racers from the WEC. I would also include LMP2 cars here, too, as well as WSC, LMGTP, and DPi cars, respectively such as the Ferrari 333SP, Toyota GT-One, and Cadillac DPi.

-Gr.2 continues to include GT500-spec cars, as well as DTMasters. (And not DTMeisterschaft.) Might also include JGTC GT500, but I'm not sure. The key motif seems to be "silhouette racers," so I'd imagine that older Group 5 cars would go here - at least potentially. I am also unsure if FIA GT1 cars of any variety would go here, as I recall that they mostly performed poorly when alongside GT500 JGTC cars, despite racing in the same class.

-Gr.3 continues to include FIA GT3, the similar made-for-game racers like those from Alfa Romeo, and FIA GTE. Likely will also include GT300 from both Super GT and JGTC, but I'm not sure about the power. It could very well also include FIA GT2 cars, as they were a predecessor to GTE. At the very least, it also seems like it'd include BPR-era GT1 cars. Though for SRO-era GT1 cars, I'm not as sure. They seem like the could very well be too fast, such as the Nissan R390 GT1 and Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR.

-Gr.4 continues to follow FIA GT4 cars, as well as the respective made-for-game racers. Overall, race cars that have light modifications compared to their road cars could go here, such as the Nurburgring 24h Lexus LF-A.

-Gr.B continues to include Group B rally cars as well as the respective made-for-game racers.

-Gr.X mostly focuses on truly unique cars, like the various VGTs, as well as formula and formula-styled cars, like the W08 and the Red Bull cars, as well as the kart(s).

-Gr.1-V is for historic prototypes from 1979 or earlier, like the Ferrari 330P4, Ford Mk.IV, the Jaguar XJ13, and Chaparral 2D.

-Gr.3-V is for historic grand tourers from 1979 or earlier, like the Shelby Daytona Coupe.

-The N-Series is changed slightly - note that many of the cars you use in the N-Series are already modified, such as being able to tune TCS/ABS/BB/FM in cars where that isn't a stock feature, or being able to use full-customize parts when tuning is enabled. In this regard, the N-Series is not for stock cars, but any car with modifications, even if it's with just a single additional part. This, I believe, would make things more balanced when you account for being able to add aero kits and rear wings, especially when many cars cannot compete with cars that come stock with aero, such as the S-FR Racing Concept. Many events in the campaign would follow this format, allowing for modified cars, such as the Race of NA Sports, or the Clubman Cup.

-In addition to the N-Series, there is an NE-Series, for alternatively-fueled cars with modifications, like the Tesla Model S or BMW i3.

-For cars that are indeed stock, instead of BoP being enacted, there are several motifs for various sorts of vehicles. When you pick a motif, only those cars will be eligible, such as a group for trucks & SUVs, or the "Gentlemen's Agreement" cars. There would be events in the campaign that also follow these rules, where only stock-spec vehicles are permitted. Tuning will always be enabled, but this is because many cars do not have many tuning options as-stock, and I think this makes the option of having tuning be enabled/disabled be redundant, especially since BoP will not be applied to these stock vehicles, either. The groups you may see in a ranked race or you can pick in a lobby will likely be modeled after regulations in campaign events, such as the Lightweight K Cup. This stock group would also include concepts and tuners, albeit without any additional parts installed. Some cars may become one-make classes, in this regard, and won't have a separate group for itself listed in various drop-down menus. However, for the S-FR Concept in particular, I'd group it with similarly-powered cars that are modified as-stock (and thus not in my hypothetically redefined version of the N-Series) such as some of the Touring Cars, or the cars picked from SEMA or the Tokyo Auto Salon. You also could create your own group in lobbies, if you wish, selecting cars from your garage to be on an eligible list of cars.

2. General rules for each class.

-For road cars, there are a few options: an event might only permit stock cars within a pre-defined group, (e.g. Lightweight K Cup) or perhaps a selection that doesn't follow one of those groups. Either way, events that feature stock cars will never have BoP (to keep the stats stock) and always permit tuning, as not many options are there without adding parts. It still could be fun for tuners (e.g. SEMA winners) where many options will indeed be open even without additional parts. Alternatively, it will be an N-Series event where you bring a modified car, and the event may have a minimum weight and/or maximum power; tuning will often be disabled for these, but on rare occasions, they could open up, and sometimes not all settings at once, but only some. Because there are so many changes one can make to a car, BoP will make the power/weights of the cars in the N-Series class relatively uniform, rather than trying to account for all the changes one can make to each eligible car. You can still have "inter-class" N-Series cars in this scenario, too.

-For a "staple" group, such as Gr.1, it will be rare that every car in that class will be permitted, as typically, a limited selection of cars within each class will be allowed, such as the Group C cars within Gr.1. However, in the situations where all cars in a class are permitted, then tuning will often be permitted, albeit in a limited capacity to make things accessible. Specifically, downforce and final gear ratio will be the only permitted settings, with settings such as "Top Speed (Auto Set)" and the individual gear ratios being locked. I am of the belief that this will allow players to "patch-up" anything BoP cannot account for, especially since some cars may remain overly-popular on some courses depending on their unmodified settings, even with BoP enabled.

3. Other notes.

-"Major" group (e.g. Gr.1, Gr.2, etc.) cars would not be able to have any parts added, as they're already fully-outfitted for their class.

-I also was thinking of adding the anti-roll bar to the final gear ratio and downforce settings, as the tunable options for when all cars are permitted for a given class, especially for when a car may be overly-prone to understeer/oversteer.

-I don't think adding tuning, especially in an often very limited capacity (when it's enabled at all), will alienate players, as many races will have rulesets that entail tuning being disabled - such as with events with the "major" groups that further limit your selection of cars within the class - or even my hypothetical, minute changes to the N-Series. On top of this, I don't think a particularly large amount of players would be playing the competitive modes insofar that there could be a large exodus; I'm pretty sure most players who play these ranked modes are also aware of various tuning parameters.

Latest Posts

Back