A wheel for a friend (T300 vs CSL)

• Thread starter OJT6627
  • 13 comments
Germany
Germany
Hello fellas

A friend of mine owns a Logitech G29 and plans to upgrade in the near future. He plays on PS4 (mostly GT Sport), so console compatibility for him is a must. He currently chooses between T300RS and Fanatec CSL Elite

T300RS with 3 pedal set comes out cheaper than CSL with 3 pedal set. However, CSL's pedals have load cell brake, unlike stock T3PAs. And apart from pedals, there isn't really much difference between them. On the paper anyway: both have 1080 degree rotation, both are dual belt driven, both are compatible with PS4. I only own a T300, so i can only tell from one perspective

Any of you guys owned both wheels for a long period? Is CSL worth the extra price over the T300RS (wheel-wise)?

And apart from pedals, there isn't really much difference between them. On the paper anyway: both have 1080 degree rotation, both are dual belt driven
T300 4 Newton meters of torque.
CSL Elite 6 Newton meters of torque.
T300 is dual belt drive.
CSL Elite is single belt drive with a more direct gear ratio and less friction leading to more details in the FFB.
I have CSL Elite and also have good experience with T300. If the price of the CSL Elite is a lot of money for your friend then buy T300, it's a pretty good wheel. If the price is not too high buy CSL Elite because it's just better.

I would never recommend a T300 to a friend. Too many reliability concerns - if you open it up and have a look you can see why. Shoddy design and build throughout.

Hello fellas

A friend of mine owns a Logitech G29 and plans to upgrade in the near future. He plays on PS4 (mostly GT Sport), so console compatibility for him is a must. He currently chooses between T300RS and Fanatec CSL Elite

T300RS with 3 pedal set comes out cheaper than CSL with 3 pedal set. However, CSL's pedals have load cell brake, unlike stock T3PAs. And apart from pedals, there isn't really much difference between them. On the paper anyway: both have 1080 degree rotation, both are dual belt driven, both are compatible with PS4. I only own a T300, so i can only tell from one perspective

Any of you guys owned both wheels for a long period? Is CSL worth the extra price over the T300RS (wheel-wise)?
owner of t300. almost 4 years. changed to csl, there’s a gap between them. thrustmaster peddled any complete nonsense. csl is stronger than t300. Csl is practically not heated. But it is noisier than the t300. There is such a parameter as Fei, he is responsible for a trifle if you turn it on 70% or more, then the belt jumps along the guide, this is how csl works - this is the only minus for me. Buy safely do not regret it in general. and take the three pedal block.

I would never recommend a T300 to a friend. Too many reliability concerns - if you open it up and have a look you can see why. Shoddy design and build throughout.
and I have 4 friends whose t300 works fine. me including. minus t300 overheating and ffb falls. and in drivers the total strength above 70% should not be raised. so the steering wheel shows where the line graph is.

Hello,
I owned both (now sits with the Fanatec CSL Elite PS4) , switched progressively from the T300 to the Fanatec. (first V3 pedals, then the wheel, then the gearbox). Before that, had already upgraded to a 30 inches rim and the 3 pedals T3PA from Thrustmaster. So I tested quite a lot of combinations from both manufacturers.

I've been really satisfied with the T300 which was miles ahead of my G25 when I bought it. Enjoyed hours of racing with it, have friends who still enjoy it also. Overheating issues impacting the FFB occurred after some time of driving, but were mostly corrected through the permanent fan mode.

That said, the CSL Elite is really a significant step up that in my opinion justifies the higher price tag. Regarding the wheel itself, there is not a huge leap, the wheel is not so much stronger, but smoother, with no loss of FFB whatever the time of driving. It also comes with a 30 inches rim which in my opinion is definitely the way to go. Which means the Thrustmaster has to take into account an additional rim to put things equals.

The pedals of the Fanatec (at least the V3, can't say for the LC model) is a no brainer, especially if driving old cars with manual gearbox, touchy brakes is your / his taste. This is where the difference is the largest compared to the Thrustmaster. (T3PA)
The "on the fly" settings on the wheel, with 5 personnal possible presets at disposal is also a welcomed feature.
I 've just replaced the gearbox and while I was also satisfied with the TH8A, the SQ1.5 from Fanatec is just better everywhere, much better build and more realistic.

So, overall I would say it depends on your friend's mindset. If he is the type of guy really invested in what he does, who likes finding continuous improvements, my guess is he will sooner or later want the Fanatec which gives more options with higher performance (on the realistic side of things, not necessarily on the lap times), and is a more complete, better thought, ecosystem.

On the other side, if having a very good wheel at the best possible price is what matters most, he will probably be pleased with the T300, especially with an additional 30' rim (Sparco or Ferrari599 are good options)

Regarding failures, having seen users complaining on both forums dedicated to theses respectives wheels, I think it is quite difficult to put an objective statement on this, without any official rate failures figures from the manufacturers. (Which they won't give, obviously). No failures for me, on both systems.
A good way to guess what kind of a user he is is to ask him if he plans a dedicated rig to play ......that would give you / him an insight.

If your friend is unsure, he can also take the progressive upgrading path like me, it's quite a smooth transition with the driveHub (great device by the way), but it costs more on the long term of course.......

Last but not least : I find the purple mode on the Fanatec gives me better feeling than the Blue mode, on GT Sport.

Hope it helps and it's not too late,

Nicolas

Last edited:
let me correct you! I do not recommend using a 30-inch steering wheel, since in a race the base loses its ffb after 30 minutes

let me correct you! I do not recommend using a 30-inch steering wheel, since in a race the base loses its ffb after 30 minutes

anybody want a 30 inch steering wheel?:lol:

s-l300.jpg

No thoughts on handbrake or shifter now or in the future? If you add the ebrake into the equation, the CSL actual comes out cheaper. The Fanatec ebrake is about 120 (and it's awesome), and the TM one is $290. Fanatec shifter is $199 (H and Sequential configurable) and TM is $150. If you buy a the TM setup with 2 pedals, you have to throw it away if you buy 3 pedals, but with Fanatec you can start with 2 for $99 then add the load cell kit for the brake, and use the previous brake pedal as the clutch.

So yeah, TS looks cheaper if you're looking at minimum setup, but if you start to add stuff on, the Fanatec stuff comes out cheaper in the end.

K

Last but not least : I find the purple mode on the Fanatec gives me better feeling than the Blue mode, on GT Sport.

Hello Nicolas. Could you express more about purple mode advandages? Why and what you feel better? Btw what FW do you have installed and motor FW version? And what settings do you use on GT Sport aswell as Fanatec tuning menu.

Thanks Domas

Hello Domas,

FW version is V311. I won't be able to tell you the motor FW version.....where / how is it visible ? (just for information I bought my wheel around one year ago, if this helps)
I know there is a newer firmware but as I'm a Mac user the updating process is a pain. So as I'm satisfied with my current setting I keep it as it is.
Here are the settings :

Fanatec :
SEN 072
FF 100
SHO OFF
ABS OFF
DRI -03
FOR 100
SPR 020
DPR 050
BRF 050
FEI 100

GTS :
Torque 7
FFB Sensitivity 3
No driving aids.

You probably guessed from my settings that I'm leaning toward some direct and quite robust feeling. What I would dislike most about a wheel would be a big deadzone / softness around the center. Second would be the lack of responsiveness.
I found (at least for me) that in purple mode I have more FFB and much less deadzone than on blue mode. Hence my choice, which is purely personnal and may not be somebody else's taste.

Don't know if it's valuable information, but I'm equipped with a RSeat rig and a buttkicker attached (equipped with dedicated cooling fans), which adds tons of feeling.
I Play mostly in VR, I find it's amazingly immersive, despite the lack of opposition and the so so graphics. Would really love a one vs. one multiplayer option in VR....and patiently waits for the next PS5 & VR2 combo.....

Hope this helps,

Nicolas

Latest Posts

Back