About Donut Media's Latest Video: Are Racetracks/Motorsports Really in Dire Straits?

United States
Houston, TX
Hey all,

Earlier today I came across this concerning and rather worrisome video by Donut Media, which was uploaded today:

Is the current motorsport situation really as dire and on the verge of catastrophe as Nolan is saying it is? I can't be the only one very concerned about this, but now I feel more motivated than ever about almost completely sacrificing my health and well being to keep our passion and way of life.

On a related note, I think it's safe to say that as a community here, our passion for cars/racing knows no bounds. It's what we live for, and it gives us a sense of self, it's what we build our lives around. It defines who we are as people. It's also what keeps me from sinking into total depression and gives me a reason to get out of bed and doing things. If my one true passion in life is taken from me, I would have nothing to live for; i would lose my sense of self, like one who's lost his memory. I wouldn't be able to get up in the morning without feeling completely demoralized and empty inside all the time, knowing that what defines me as a person and gives me life is gone forever. My passion gives me a fighting spirit and untold amounts of determination and inner grit, which wouldn't exist without it.

Ok that last paragraph is a bit of a heartfelt expression, but it doesn't make it any less true to me, probably to many of you as well. Here's to a better and brighter future to all of us.

I think it depends on the motorsport in question. Formula E, while widely mocked and unloved by motorsport fans, keeps on trucking, rallying is doing fine. Monster trucks are still going strong with no signs of stopping, and short course racing is growing quite well. Also, drifting is growing BIG TIME with no signs of stopping

Motorsport is always going to be an expensive affair, and if the money doesn't go round, then it will eventually stop. Just like anything in life and universe it has a cycle. We've only had cars for 100 or so years, and motorsport a little less. That might sound like ages but in the grand scheme of human history it really isn't. That's why I feel esports racing has such a bright future. It's pretty much the closest esports to the real thing, and technology will keep improving to make it better and more realistic. If ICE cars are outlawed due to emissions, and racetracks are gone due to money/land usage/whatever, we will still be able to race their digital counterparts in the future.

Of course, I'm talking of the long long future here. I think motorsport IRL will still exist for quite some time, so don't worry about it too much now :)

Motorsport is always going to be an expensive affair, and if the money doesn't go round, then it will eventually stop. Just like anything in life and universe it has a cycle. We've only had cars for 100 or so years, and motorsport a little less. That might sound like ages but in the grand scheme of human history it really isn't. That's why I feel esports racing has such a bright future. It's pretty much the closest esports to the real thing, and technology will keep improving to make it better and more realistic. If ICE cars are outlawed due to emissions, and racetracks are gone due to money/land usage/whatever, we will still be able to race their digital counterparts in the future.

Of course, I'm talking of the long long future here. I think motorsport IRL will still exist for quite some time, so don't worry about it too much now :)

Well, I think that e-sports racing and real racing can co-exist, and esport racing (specifically Gran Turismo) has already been developing a reputation for preparing determined amateurs to become professional-grade drivers.

Also, now that my mind is clear, I believe there will always be at least some race circuits for motorsports to flourish on. There may be less tracks than there used to be, and there might be fewer tracks than ones today, but I believe at least some will always be around. I just can't imagine motor racing ever disappearing, especially not after a approx. a century of history behind it. The world changes, and racing changes/evolves too. That I can accept.

I think so. More people on the planet means less land available for permanent tracks.

Sydney in the last 20 years has seen the disappearance of Amaroo Park and Oran Park to housing development, both once staples of the ATCC and V8 Supercars. Sydney Motorsports Park (Eastern Creek) survives because noone really wants to develop in an area that reeks of sewage when the wind blows.

Golf courses survive because theres more people with a lot more disposable income that goes straight to the course through memberships, and also because they dont have the absolute scourge of NIMBYs complaining when they move in next to them.

There will be more street circuits so long as it doesn't cost a town or city more than they gain from shutting down arterial roadways.

I don't mind new street circuits now as any new permanent tracks are seemingly deemed too dangerous if a driver can crash into anything without a mechanical failure.

Back