About the new driving modes

• Thread starter dark_ruffo
  • 18 comments
DrKrFfXx_
I don't know if this has been discussed before, if so, I'm sorry.

Tonigth I wanted to do some hot laps, I picked up my EVO IX and headed to Eiger Time Trial on the B Class league.

I started a 10 minutes session with the professional mode (as I always drive in pro), when the session ended, my best lap was a 1:16.6. I needed 1:15 to grab the gold so I thougt it was just OK.

Then, just for curiosity, I selected beginner mode or whatever the translation is, and started a new session, I did a 1:14.6 lap almost effortless, with some room for improvements. Hell, I even ended up with 5 or 6 minutes of the session to spare.

¿Do the different driving modes have the same potential laptimes?

I mean... Same driver, same tyres, same car, even same driving techniques. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the pro mode, but still... There's a big 2 seconds gap to shave...

How it seems to me, is the professional mode removes the minor 'built-in' aids that are there to make amateur mode easier/more fun.
i.e. Slightly gripier tyres, less diff-lock effect, better brakes, etc.

They are there, but built in to make amateur mode easier.

So, I would say that the same lap times are not possible in pro mode as you can do in amateur.

Neil

So what you mean is that the pro mode is slower than the beginner mode in anyway, and you can't make the laptimes up by "driving better", huh? That's a reliefe in some ways, I thought I was being just plain slow.

But on the other hand, it is a real shame if you ask me. Getting every gold license/time trial would be way too easy in beginner, while in pro mode would be hard as hell... Or physically impossible if the times to beat are set with the beginner mode in mind.

Online would be a real pain in the ass too, it would be like having a 2+ seconds handicap. I like winning/lossing in the same conditions, so no excuses can be used.

Anyway, I will be sticking to pro mode, I like it better. And all my online friends will be forced to do the same lol

So what you mean is that the pro mode is slower than the beginner mode in anyway, and you can't make the laptimes up by "driving better", huh? That's a relief in some ways, I thought I was being just plain slow.

But on the other hand, it is a real shame if you ask me. Getting every gold license/time trial would be way too easy in beginner, while in pro mode would be hard as hell... Or physically impossible if the times to beat are set with the beginner mode in mind.

Online would be a real pain in the ass too, it would be like having a 2+ seconds handicap. I like winning/losing in the same conditions, so no excuses can be used.

Anyway, I will be sticking to pro mode, I like it better. And all my online friends will be forced to do the same lol

I wouldn't say it is slower, per se, it just doesn't have the built in aids to make it easier is all. And none of these 'aids' are in-of-themselves dramatically better, it's more of a gestalt effect. The effect of them all being that 'little' bit better, results in a much easier drive.

But, of course you should be able to match your times pro/arcade eventually, as you adjust to the different handling. It'll just take practice, just as it will for all of us that have to work at our GT4 driving for series. (un-like some, who, to whome it comes naturally :irked: )

And (If PD have a single working brain amongst them? ) the online play will have set parameters for each race that forces all drivers to have the same sim-level, tyre choice and driving aids available. Just like all the other online games such as counter-strike et 'al.

Neil

Actually, driving aids (ASM and TCS, IIRC) made you slower on previous GT... They were no help at all.

I think this beginner stuff is the worst thing that ever happened to GT. It makes no sense, at least not for me.

Maybe it makes the game more apealable (apealing? lol) to the masses, but I don't like it at all.

Actually, driving aids (ASM and TCS, IIRC) made you slower on previous GT... They were no help at all.

I think this beginner stuff is the worst thing that ever happened to GT. It makes no sense, at least not for me.

Maybe it makes the game more apealable (apealing? lol) to the masses, but I don't like it at all.

I agree, but these aren't aids like ASM/TCS/IIRC they are tweaks like mildly better suspension, graphite brake pads instead of std ones, same compound tyres but better construction.

And, of course it's to attract the masses into the series/hardware up-grade path that Sony, logitech & PD want, i.e. more PS3's sold, more GT5 wheels sold, more copies of GT5 sold.

But, also it smooths the transition between GT4 & GT5 for us more serious racers, and improves our skills. The Gran Turismo series has had both GT and arcade modes for ages and that is a similar system, but from a different perspective.
GT mode is harder to play, and the cars need to be upgraded and tuned. But Arcade doesn't and is, let's admit it, easier to drive the cars in.
So, it's the same thing, really.Just,,,,,,,different!

Neil

I agree, but these aren't aids like ASM/TCS/IIRC they are tweaks like mildly better suspension, graphite brake pads instead of std ones, same compound tyres but better construction.
Neil

I don't think that mode is that complex, I remember Kaz saying it was a "more forgivable mode" for the masses. So I think is more like "any mistake you make will be corrected by software", but I still have to find out where does that infinite grip come from lol

But then again, I don't know, that's why I opened this thread. Thanks for lighting my way.

What I hate the most is you have to try and make beginner mode lap times with pro mode.

beginner mode not only seems to have more micro-aids but it straight out has more grip, corner speeds are higher. IMO if you choose pro mode (like I and many would do) the target lap time should reflect this mode.

As we are now you are forced to go into standard/beginner mode just to finish the game. :(

the standard mode is much more forgiving
you dont notice that with the ''average'' cars
its once you get too the high HP cars that you really notice the diference
you cant just go full on the gas comming outta corners when ur in a ferrari/gt-r etc...

Thats what I was thinking, seems like it would have been easy for them to have different pro mode times rather than forcing you to run in standard mode to get gold for some things. Guess we should just be glad the pro mode physics exist lol.

there is definitely no way to get lap times in pro mode as fast as standard. best demonstration of this is just the daytona corvette trial. there is no way possible to get a gold time in that race in pro mode. the car simply cannot hold enough corner speed to make the time. run it in standard mode though and its possible

Man, I'm so with you guys on this one. These missions are driving me insane! The early ones are sometimes first go golds, but get into A Class and you begin to get ulcers, and then there are the S Class above that. Gah. Kaz really needs to rethink these. I love a challenge, but for carp's sake, don't make them just about impossible to achieve.

Dave A complained for a couple of years that sports tires in GT4 were too grippy. Well, he should fall in love with these. I spun out my Viper at about 30mph on those slippery eelskins.

Oh well, tomorrow it's baby mode for me. :P

I don't mind the goals PD have set in the races for standard mode, but the problem is they are not adjusted for reflect prefessional mode when used.

I have finished all the races bar a couple dealer races.

So what you mean is that the pro mode is slower than the beginner mode in anyway, and you can't make the laptimes up by "driving better", huh? That's a reliefe in some ways, I thought I was being just plain slow.

Online would be a real pain in the ass too, it would be like having a 2+ seconds handicap. I like winning/lossing in the same conditions, so no excuses can be used.

Well hopefully PD will have 2 different main lobbies...one for amateur mode, and then a lobby that automatically adjusts the user settings to race in professional mode.....if not done in the lobbies, then i'm sure PD will allow the host racer to make the settings professional mode only or something like that...or at least i hope they're smart enough to do that :nervous:

Some race's are imposible to complete in professional mode, i coulden't even get third place in the suzuka 10 laps (i thing its S6). I had to swith to arcade mode to get third.

Some race's are imposible to complete in professional mode, i coulden't even get third place in the suzuka 10 laps (i thing its S6). I had to swith to arcade mode to get third.

Yeah, I golded all of them (I can't settle for anything less :( ) and there is no way that could be done all on professional setting.

The IA always drive in beginner, doesn't it?

I bought the Elise 111r and went to the makers cup. I'm faster than the IA in almost every corner in London, specially outbraking them. But I noticed that I can barely match their pace in the fast left-right-left corners, it's like they never take their foot off te gas, while I'm struggling, countersteering and cutting gas to keep my car balanced.

The AI always drive in beginner, doesn't it?
It sure seems that way. I was getting mad, seeing the bots passing me on the grass while I thought I was doing pretty good on turns at Fuji. I do hope the challenges in GT5 itself are well ironed out, and we don't have to drive stupidly or resort to Noob Mode to get our golds and silvers.

Oh, and the bots weaving back and forth on the straights so we can't get a decent draft? GAH! I hate that. :grumpy:

Back