About the penalties in daily races.

• Thread starter Tomsoft
  • 9 comments
Germany
Germany
tomsoft
I see a lot of people complaining about unfair penalties, loss of SR almost daily. However, it's a bit weird to me.

My current DR and SR is A and S, in the daily races (where most of the complaints come from) I see people getting penalties for good reasons, these being...

• Divebombing
  • Running past the track limits
  • Cutting corners.
  • Hard battling (with bumping off the track etc.)
  • Going for ridiculous overtakes. (Why are you going 3-wide into hairpins and chicanes?)

Out of the 5 C-Races i've done yesterday, only one went downhill in terms of penalties.

So, what are the most people thinking, when going for such ridiculous overtakes?
There's a 80% chance of getting a penalty, because...

A: You cut the corner
Or
B: You hit someone else.

Why not slow down and try to get a faster exit?

Would be interesting to hear from other people on this forum about their thoughts on this.

The poll results here say it all https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ts-involving-you-are-you-at-fault-for.377385/

It's always someone elses fault :lol:. Yes the penalty system certainly isn't perfect, but most times people upload videos on here of 'unfair' penalties I often find myself just nodding in agreement at the penalty given out!

I think PD made the penalties stricter back in February to try and encourage people to leave more space like in real life racing, where even small contact can result in punctures/aero damage. Even after 4 months though people seemingly just refused to adapt, still needlessly hitting cars either by braking too late whilst up someone's bumper or trying to accelerate too early out of corners whilst the car immediately ahead still isn't fully on the throttle. Now it's gone back to being too lenient except for those 10 seconds penalties for when 1 tyre strays just mm out of the white line.

People seem to forget most overtaking moves are straightforward in that you slipstream alongside someone and outbrake them, or brake earlier and cutback underneath for a better exit. Instead they go full *insert that hateful Senna quote* and wonder why they keep crashing :lol:

So, what are the most people thinking, when going for such ridiculous overtakes?

Or

Would be interesting to hear from other people on this forum about their thoughts on this.

If only!!!! There's not 80% chance of a penalty. There's 80% or more chance of success / giving the other car a penalty. That's the whole problem! Even when there's a penalty, it's too easy to get rid of it while the other car is in the sand trap. Besides that, lower SR, then DR reset, means easy wins. Some people just want to win at all cost and the penalty system is perfect for just that.

Btw, you can dive into a chicane, tap the other car in the right spot, give him a penalty and get a free shortcut all at once. Cut the corner check. Hit someone check. Penalty to victim, check.

I see a lot of people complaining about unfair penalties, loss of SR almost daily. However, it's a bit weird to me.

My current DR and SR is A and S, in the daily races (where most of the complaints come from) I see people getting penalties for good reasons, these being...

• Divebombing
  • Running past the track limits
  • Cutting corners.
  • Hard battling (with bumping off the track etc.)
  • Going for ridiculous overtakes. (Why are you going 3-wide into hairpins and chicanes?)

Out of the 5 C-Races i've done yesterday, only one went downhill in terms of penalties.

Or

Spot on. Now insert that post in here https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/penalty-system-is-still-a-piece-of.378725/unread and feel the hate.

In one of the Daily B Races for GR.4, in a hairpin corner, someone tried divebombing me. They missed though. A tip for avoiding dirty drivers is to have a fast entry.

The poll results here say it all https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ts-involving-you-are-you-at-fault-for.377385/

It's always someone elses fault :lol:. Yes the penalty system certainly isn't perfect, but most times people upload videos on here of 'unfair' penalties I often find myself just nodding in agreement at the penalty given out!

I think PD made the penalties stricter back in February to try and encourage people to leave more space like in real life racing, where even small contact can result in punctures/aero damage. Even after 4 months though people seemingly just refused to adapt, still needlessly hitting cars either by braking too late whilst up someone's bumper or trying to accelerate too early out of corners whilst the car immediately ahead still isn't fully on the throttle. Now it's gone back to being too lenient except for those 10 seconds penalties for when 1 tyre strays just mm out of the white line.

People seem to forget most overtaking moves are straightforward in that you slipstream alongside someone and outbrake them, or brake earlier and cutback underneath for a better exit. Instead they go full *insert that hateful Senna quote* and wonder why they keep crashing :lol:

Just today in the 1 race I ran I got a penalty because 2 cars were bumping and banging, when I went by (there was plenty of room) one of them hit the side of my car, I got 4 seconds of penalty for that one, I can only assume they thought I was at fault because there was contact and I was the one offline. Now it seems like there are players braking very early or braking at the apex to try to give the car behind a 10 second penalty. All that PD needed to do to make the penalty system better was to quit handing out the bulk or whole penalty to the higher ranked driver whenever there was contact, it seems they made more changes than that. If you watch replays some cars are almost impossible to pass because they are so unpredictable, take unusual lines, and are constantly correcting their line, you can never be sure where they are going.

The majority of my penalties have been in the braking zone. It's so hard to avoid, because when adjusting my brake bias, I have to decide between front or rear collisions. Here's what I mean: With the bias towards the rear, I'm less likely to be rear-ended, because I won't stop as quickly, so I'm gonna be more likely to rear-end someone in front of me who can stop better. With the bias to the front, I'll stop better, and be less likely to hit the guy in front of me, but more likely to be hit from behind by someone who can't stop as well (no need to re-debate the front/rear brake bias stopping distances). Only thing that seems to help the situation is to choose a different line, which normally isn't a better line.

So for me, braking is definitely is where I get the most penalties/punts.

my input, a lot of the problems are when penalties are handed out because you are running close and then the driver in front wants to hit the brakes into the corner way before the braking point, so you tap up the rear bumper and get a 10sec penalty - 2 arguments here one being that you should be able to anticipate this poor driving behaviour and two there are just some guys determined to pull of brake checks to catch you out.

I often find myself taking corners completely wrong at the beginning of races to avoid being punted and penalised. Once I get some breathing room then I drive my preferred line. I hate having to lose so much time on the leaders due to this. I always try to be the bigger man in situations and watch my six at all costs. This usually results in people getting frustrated and shunting themselves or taking up enough penalties that I get their spot when I finish. I'm just thankful that there is a penalty system and I haven't ever had much trouble adapting to the updated systems.

Back