About to buy a G29 - need your feedback.

• Thread starter Infernuz
  • 28 comments
Greece
Athens
Hi. I'm interested in buying a wheel. Found a bundle at a store including the Logitech G29 + Project Cars 2. It'll be my first (proper) wheel and i'll be using it mostly on GT Sport , Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa.
Now, i would like some feedback about the wheel. Is it good for that price? Are there any possible upgrades? Any other suggestions?
Also, should i buy the G29 standalone shifter or find a used G25/27 shifter?

That seems expensive. You can get the bundle including shifter for £199 (€230) in the UK and is often discounted well under €200.
I envy you very much about prices in the United Kingdom.Here in Bulgaria the lowest price for G29 is 250€ without shifter.:)
Now, i would like some feedback about the wheel.
G29 is good wheel with very direct force feedback thanks to single gear drive mechanism.But this mechanism creates rattle.This does not bother some people at all but others prefer belt driven wheels which do not have such a rattle.
Here is a very detailed review:

That seems expensive. You can get the bundle including shifter for £199 (€230) in the UK and is often discounted well under €200.
Different taxes, 24% to be exact. 245€ is the cheapest i could find in retail price(without the shifter).
I envy you very much about prices in the United Kingdom.Here in Bulgaria the lowest price for G29 is 250€ without shifter.:)

G29 is good wheel with very direct force feedback thanks to single gear drive mechanism.But this mechanism creates rattle.This does not bother some people at all but others prefer belt driven wheels which do not have such a rattle.
Here is a very detailed review:

I've used this wheel couple of times in a shop when it was on display(while it lasted because it got removed due to being abused by everyone) and i had a really positive experience. The wheel felt great, the rattle didn't bother me that much. But i just couldn't use the brake pedal because it was not well mounted, so the whole pedal set was slipping. The clutch also felt great, even tho i used it while using the sequential shifting(realism :lol:).
The review was great. Watched every minute of it. Thanks for sending it! Now i've probably made my choice.
One more thing. Since the Playstation cap in the wheel can be removed, if i remove the sticker will the warranty be voided? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_20180417_205551.png
    IMG_20180417_205551.png
    156 KB · Views: 50
I kept trying to get that off but even after taking the small screws out it wouldn't budge. How did you do it? I think the warranty is voided just for breaking that off in the first place though :(

I kept trying to get that off but even after taking the small screws out it wouldn't budge. How did you do it? I think the warranty is voided just for breaking that off in the first place though :(
Dunno, the guy in the video did it, not me(yet :P) That's why im asking. I don't really like that cap :yuck:

290 Euros (the whole bundle)
Silly me forgot to mention it.
Here in the Netherlands € 249,- is a fair price. I had one and in retrospect the G29 was a great wheel. If logitech had built an ecosystem around it... I wouldn't have moved to TM.. No removable rim, toylike shifter, no LC brake etc. Technically you can mod it (I modded the pedals), but you do need diy skills.

The FFB is actually strong enough for most games and only a bit slow if you like drifting. For everything else it is strong enough.

Last edited:
Just a heads up. The G25 shifter won't work with the G29 wheel without faff afaik. Tried it myself and failed. I think Sony/Logitech between them made certain of even that simple combo not working.

Double checked yesterday. Deffo a G25 item (had to check that too) and plugged in to G29 base doesn't light up. Didn't go any further than that. Disappointing as it looks to be exactly the same as a G29 shifter.

Double checked yesterday. Deffo a G25 item (had to check that too) and plugged in to G29 base doesn't light up. Didn't go any further than that. Disappointing as it looks to be exactly the same as a G29 shifter.
The G25 shifter is not the same as the G27/29 shifter. The G25 had a switch that could make it go from sequential to an H-shifter. The G27/29 is H-shifter only.

It's a fine wheel (not even close to wheels like the T300 though). Just make sure that it the paddle shifters work. I bought a ever so slightly used one for cheap and the right one is dead.

I’ve used my g29 pretty much daily since I got it over Christmas and it’s just died on me!

Get the flashing green light at the top of the wheel and it won’t calibrate. Can’t seem to find any fixes so have had to contact Logitech... will let you know what they say but to say I’m gutted would be an understatement!

I’ve used my g29 pretty much daily since I got it over Christmas and it’s just died on me!

Get the flashing green light at the top of the wheel and it won’t calibrate. Can’t seem to find any fixes so have had to contact Logitech... will let you know what they say but to say I’m gutted would be an understatement!
I've just had the same issue but after just a few weeks of getting my G29, what was the outcome for you ?

Sorry but logitech wheels are wasted money. They are toys and have the lowest power from all wheels you can buy. Only 2nm, that is nothing :) Also you cant upgrade it with other rims or shifters or handbrakes or padals ect ect

I just can speak from my own experience over the last 18 years of simracing with wheels. I started with the microsoft sidewinder and ended up now on a t-gt, had a lot of wheels. Was buying almost every wheel released since then, some of them even 2-3 times :) Maybe it is evolution and for the first few times a g25/27/29 makes you happy but why people buy better wheels, if the old ones are good enought? :) Logitech wheels are out of date, with their crappy mechanical potis and gears. You cant even drift with that wheel because it is to slow for turning itself fast enought. :)
It looks attractive to someone with no clue. Wheel, pedals and a shifter for just 250€
But its wasted money, like a super pan from tv´s shopping channel. :)
All in all, maybe everyone need to make this experience by himself.

Sorry but logitech wheels are wasted money. They are toys and have the lowest power from all wheels you can buy. Only 2nm, that is nothing :) Also you cant upgrade it with other rims or shifters or handbrakes or padals ect ect
I don't have the G29 but it is still the best entry level setup in my opinion - especially in the UK where it is regularly discounted down below £150 for the full setup including shifter. Some of the fastest guys I know are running with G25,27 or 29. In fact some of the fastest racers on the planet still use those wheels.

I just can speak from my own experience over the last 18 years of simracing with wheels. I started with the microsoft sidewinder and ended up now on a t-gt, had a lot of wheels. Was buying almost every wheel released since then, some of them even 2-3 times :) Maybe it is evolution and for the first few times a g25/27/29 makes you happy but why people buy better wheels, if the old ones are good enought? :) Logitech wheels are out of date, with their crappy mechanical potis and gears. You cant even drift with that wheel because it is to slow for turning itself fast enought. :)
It looks attractive to someone with no clue. Wheel, pedals and a shifter for just 250€

I do have a G29, and I'm having great fun with it. It totally changed my appreciation and enjoyment of driving games, and I can tell you it's not wasted money.

You speak of 18 years experience in sim racing, and that's great - I totally understand why you would want the best available kit for your hobby. However there are 2 reasons why I would recommend the G29:

1) Not everybody has the financial means to blow nearly $1000 bucks on a wheel, and if somebody wants into the sim racing hobby, but has limited funds then the G29 is great for the money, especially when you can find it discounted.

2) Not everybody is as serious about sim racing as you. Maybe some people just want a wheel to play a few titles and have some occasional fun, or maybe they simply don't have a lot time to invest in sim racing. In which case there's often little point going above the G29 even if a better wheel is affordable.

The G29 is a competent wheel, and while there are better wheels out there for sure, it's hard to beat the price performance ratio of the G29. I'm not looking to upgrade even though it's well within my financial means to do so. Why not? Because I'm already having a blast with the G29, and a better wheel isn't going to magically transform my driving ability.

You are exaggerating a little. A logitech wheel is perfectly fine and even today many alien drivers swear by it. The tech is a bit old but far from crappy. the average driver does not drift and while difficult it isnt entirely impossible to drift with a logitech. of course a DD wheel is superior to a logitech, but it also costs €€€ more then a logitech.

I have a G29 and I find myself well, I use it for three years, only problem are the sensors of the pedals, sometimes I have to spray the electric activator and put back in place, I use it mainly with Project car 2 and rarely with Gtsport, with both performs well.

Back