ABS and Drifting?

• Thread starter mikekhel30
  • 14 comments
mike30pot
Tried searching, but I found nothing. I kinda stopped searching when the results dates back to '05 I think. Please move if there is already a thread.

I wanted to know should ABS be turned off when drifting. I've been to plenty drifting rooms online, and what I noticed at least 90% of the time that their ABS is set to 1. I don't drift too frequently, but I have always set mine to 0. Is that why I had a really hard time learning how to drift?

How huge ABS affects drifting? Please answer appropriately so this won't be just another AWD drifting thread where it gets close all the time.

If you've had abs off all this time, chances are that you've been trying to drift and braked somewhere in the middle or just before only to find you've lost pretty much all steering?

Mine is always set to 0 with brake balance of about 4/8, but I use the cars brakes with a weight transfer to initiate most of my drifts, and I use my brake to adjust my cars speed mid drift. I guess it boils down to personal preference and driving style.

There is no answer to what you should use. It's more a feel/technique. I use ABS 0 With my Brake balance 0/10 to the rear. It gives the car perfect control when you are in tandems and need to adjust you're speed alot.

Also gives you a better ease of use for weight shifting :)

Personally I use 1 abs mainly because I like to hit the brakes hard before I initiate into the next corner. I use 6-8 for my brakes.

I prefer no ABS, braking drifts are one of the best ways to initiate in my opinion. I prefer lower pressures, like 2 F, 3 R.

abs 1, Ive mentioned on another abs thread it doesn't correct a drift like real abs does tho. Never had a need to touch brake balance.

Brake balance matters. Try different combinations of front-rear brake bias on the first corner of Fuji from full speed and find out which suits your style best. I personally use 2F-8R with ABS 1 to allow brake-drift initiation from high speed going into a slow corner.

ABS doesn't play as big a part in drifting as people are stating. ABS merely prevents the brakes from locking which you don't want in Drifting anyway. You still have acceleration control,Steering and other skills you need. Older cars like 83 trueno's had brake boosters so they are all acceptable within pro drifting and racing.

don't need to turn your footbrake into a handbrake to brakedrift :embarrassed:

Yeah but its a technique i some of us like. I have the most unbelievable car control in GT5 thanks to being able to perfect how i use my setup. I very rarely hit another car in a tandem.

Back