ABS help

  • Thread starter Thread starter xStretch-
  • 19 comments
  • 1,334 views
Messages
924
Cyprus
North London
Messages
StretchY-
I have put my ABS on 0 for a bit of practice and I have stuck something on my brake so it doesn't fully brake. I am hardly touching the breaks and every time I come to a corner it just skids off.

Anyone got any help to keep the car calm but still fast with 0 ABS?
 
You'll need to do most of your braking in a straight line, and make adjustments to your driving line and speed appropriately. You can only do a small amount of trail braking while cornering, as most of the wheels will have the weight shifted off of them onto the outside front tire, and will lock up very easily.
 
Adjust the brake bias. Start with 3/0 and go from there.
 
Brake bias is a good suggestion. If you're using a wheel/pedals you should be able to adjust settings there as well.
 
If the car is lose under braking take out rear brake, if the thing pushes under braking add rear brake. Always look at the #'s in the braking as a ratio and change accordingly taking the current ratio a consideration and adjust both #'s so the ratio is adjusted not just the problematic end of the car.
 
Brake Balance really helps.

I usually keep it at 4/0 for road cars and 5/1 for race cars.
 
Last edited:
Ok thanks I will try that now. Do I need to brake a certain amount? like half the brake bar or more or less? Also anything need to be done on engine breaking?
 
Are you using brake pedal (with your steering wheel) or just DS3 controller? Either way you need to adjust the brake bias/sensitivity to much lower than the default 5(F):5(R). With my G25 pedal, I normally set to 3:1 for road car (using Comfort and Sport tires). For race car with R tires, the setting is at 4:2. With DFGT pedal even with bungee cord mod, I set it a tad lower but always with bias towards the front.

Ever since patch 1.06 (or 1.07 not sure), the brake is less sensitive than it was before. It was pretty much impossible to use Comfort Medium or Hard without ABS before the patch.
 
For sure adjust brake bias towards the front, though more so with FF and FR cars than with MR vehicles. Just remember that without ABS, to brake without locking up any wheels you can only brake as hard as your least loaded wheel will allow. And if you lock up and go wide at a corner, you'll probably have to release the brakes and reapply (pump) to adjust your line.
 
To answer some question, I am using a Calsonic with a DFGT.

Going into the chicane on suzuka the car just wont stop when I press it half way. I think I will have to stick with ABS on unless someone saves my life and tells me something what works for me :D
 
ABS provides a huge stopping advantage, you may just be entering your corners too fast to turn that driving aid off. ABS lets you brake harder, and maintain control while doing it. I typically leave it set at one, though I paid my ABS-off dues in GTR.
 
ABS provides a huge stopping advantage, you may just be entering your corners too fast to turn that driving aid off. ABS lets you brake harder, and maintain control while doing it. I typically leave it set at one, though I paid my ABS-off dues in GTR.

How hard do you brake at high speed? Out of 10.
 
How hard do you brake at high speed? Out of 10.

It depends on downforce. In a race vehicle with high levels of downforce you'll be able to brake 10/10 in a straight line at high speed, but will have to come off the brake as you slow down. With little to no downforce it won't really matter what speed you're travelling at, you'll still lock up easily.
 
It depends on downforce. In a race vehicle with high levels of downforce you'll be able to brake 10/10 in a straight line at high speed, but will have to come off the brake as you slow down. With little to no downforce it won't really matter what speed you're travelling at, you'll still lock up easily.

Cheers Mr canada :D will try that.
 
for me i needed to get used to breaking smoother and earlier before corners on the straight (if possible). And sticking to "slow in, fast out".
Main thing is braking smooth for me though.
 
You need to calibrate your pedals... Fully press the brake pedal befor you start a race, if you don't the brakes will come on fully with just a little travel.
 
I have put my ABS on 0 for a bit of practice and I have stuck something on my brake so it doesn't fully brake. I am hardly touching the breaks and every time I come to a corner it just skids off.

Anyone got any help to keep the car calm but still fast with 0 ABS?

Turn off the brake balancer for most road cars. That's right: 0/0. The brakes will still work, don't worry. You'll still need to be careful with braking with certain cars, and brakes can sometimes still lock up. They just won't lock as readily.

If you want to try using the brake balancer after you've had it off for awhile, experiment and find the setting that's best.
 
LeftyWright69
If the car is lose under braking take out rear brake, if the thing pushes under braking add rear brake. Always look at the #'s in the braking as a ratio and change accordingly taking the current ratio a consideration and adjust both #'s so the ratio is adjusted not just the problematic end of the car.

Good advice, thats how I do it. I run 0 ABS but have a relatively high setting usually around 6 / 3. You would be amassed how far a lil input will go.

Keep in mind when doing time trial laps, the first lap your tires are cold and seem to lock up quicker (weird could just be how I drive) I usually start my hot lap on lap 2 and I get aggressive.
 
Back