ABS weak since 1.18

• Thread starter Voodoovaj
  • 19 comments
Canada
London, Ontario
voodoovaj
Question for those who have used/are using ABS weak.

Have you noticed that it doesn't work online? The braking distance is HUGE online. I've been on ABS weak for offline races to try and gain a little more skill on the brakes. I had it on weak for Sport Mode qualifying this week and did ok,

...and then I went into a race. Forget about it. I braked early and still went flying into the cars ahead of me. I was 3-4 seconds a lap, or more, slower. The problem was worse in a pack, so lag may have had something to do with it, but even alone, I had to brake early.

I've reverted to default permanently now. I don't see a benefit to using ABS weak at the moment.

Anyone else notice something similar?

Nah. I use only weak as default is a big assistance. Still got second place and was braking just fine. Maybe it was your car... I raced just yesterday so I think it is fine.

I raced with the Yaris, and on the GR4 and 3 races multiple times - Citroen gr4, Megane trophy too

Nah. I use only weak as default is a big assistance. Still got second place and was braking just fine. Maybe it was your car... I raced just yesterday so I think it is fine.

I raced with the Yaris, and on the GR4 and 3 races multiple times - Citroen gr4, Megane trophy too
Unfortunately, your placement doesn't say anything about whether it's good/better to ride like you or whether it's better to ride like most others. I always find it a bit amusing when someone wants to judge the usefulness or not of any settings/tools just based on their placement in a race.

The only thing that really provides information about whether something makes sense or not are lap times on a track, and that as an absolute value and not as an indirect value.

I see it like the vast majority of very fast drivers... Standard ABS is better/faster 99 times out of 100.

@Voodoovaj just yesterday I decided to do a couple of Daily A Races, as always with ABS weak which is mostly my Default option too.
And nope, I didn’t notice any difference.
Same stopping distance as before.
And usually I don’t play Sport Mode so I should have noticed it compared to offline which i usually play the most.
BTW, how are your Lap Times comparing Default to Weak?
I use it since the beginning of GT7 and have done all the Single Player Stuff with ABS Weak.
My Lap Times are almost identical, mostly separated by less then a tenth.
Overall I’d still prefer ABS weak over Default as to me it makes me feel more in control of the amount of Rotation I want to put in and gives me slightly shorter stopping distance.

@Voodoovaj just yesterday I decided to do a couple of Daily A Races, as always with ABS weak which is mostly my Default option too.
And nope, I didn’t notice any difference.
Same stopping distance as before.
And usually I don’t play Sport Mode so I should have noticed it compared to offline which i usually play the most.
BTW, how are your Lap Times comparing Default to Weak?
I use it since the beginning of GT7 and have done all the Single Player Stuff with ABS Weak.
My Lap Times are almost identical, mostly separated by less then a tenth.
Overall I’d still prefer ABS weak over Default as to me it makes me feel more in control of the amount of Rotation I want to put in and gives me slightly shorter stopping distance.
Weak to default is about 1 second offline. 2-3 seconds online.

Again, it could be the lag. I noticed this morning that a high lag player was in front of me and my grip was diminished. When he disconnected, my grip was normal again.

I am sometimes put in a lobby with a one letter named player who uses either weak or off (his ABS icon is yellow during the race) and he has a tendency to punt people way off the track and into barriers.

Unfortunately, your placement doesn't say anything about whether it's good/better to ride like you or whether it's better to ride like most others. I always find it a bit amusing when someone wants to judge the usefulness or not of any settings/tools just based on their placement in a race.

The only thing that really provides information about whether something makes sense or not are lap times on a track, and that as an absolute value and not as an indirect value.

I see it like the vast majority of very fast drivers... Standard ABS is better/faster 99 times out of 100.
I guess default is better, but to me weak is more realistic. I'm not stressing about being faster yet, I just want a more immersive experience

Can't say I've noticed a difference myself, I'd say it could be the extra speed from a slipstream throwing you off but then it wouldn't make sense that it also happened away from a pack. If you record a clip you could check if there's anything off in the brake pedal bar maybe?

I generally have the feeling that bit by bit less braking pressure has been needed for some time to go to 100% closure, as a result the ABS kicks in sooner.. if you have too much braking pressure and the ABS works then the braking distance is longer.. However, I can be wrong and I'm getting used to the set pressure of my LC pedals.

I can't really comment on any changes since I've only used "weak" since I started playing two weeks ago, as the "default" ABS felt way more powerful than I needed it to be.

I played my first sport race on GT7 today and I started at 5th and finished at 6th, but that position I lost was probably because I screwed up on the death chicane twice, also I was driving the Gr.4 Supra which seemed to be slower than the Mustang and GTR on the straights.

Can't say I've noticed a difference myself, I'd say it could be the extra speed from a slipstream throwing you off but then it wouldn't make sense that it also happened away from a pack. If you record a clip you could check if there's anything off in the brake pedal bar maybe?
I've noticed that weak is more like real brakes with no ABS (where ABS off just locks the tires immediately). Maybe I was just trying too hard and I failed to release the pressure. There's a million things that could be wrong with me and how I used it, I just found it to be VERY different all of a sudden.

Anyway, back to Default for me, I prefer being more competitive :D

I've noticed that weak is more like real brakes with no ABS (where ABS off just locks the tires immediately). Maybe I was just trying too hard and I failed to release the pressure. There's a million things that could be wrong with me and how I used it, I just found it to be VERY different all of a sudden.

Anyway, back to Default for me, I prefer being more competitive :D
ABS off doesn't lock the tires immediately. Are you on PS5? If so, experiment with the trigger haptics. Some cars will have the cut off point way higher than others (10-15% pressing of the L2 trigger), while others will have a looser brake, that you need to press more for the tires to lock. I find that really great, and imagine how time consuming that was... Race cars and formulas like the F1500 have a really tight brake without ABS. Cuts off really early. But likewise the brakes are really powerful.

ABS weak works like ABS. ABS default is faster for sure, but has some kind of steering assistance too.

@Galvston very well observed.
Although some things need a bit more explanation.
From my experience and I drive and test a lot of different Cars and Tuning Setups, all I can say that it all depends on the Brakes Type and of Course the Brake Pads.
The entry Class Road Cars let’s say up to 300hp for example come equipped with Production 08/15 Brakes which require lots of Brake Pressure to lock the tires up with ABS Off.
The faster the Cars become the better the Stock installed Series Brakes become and like you mentioned the Lock up Treshhold Point becomes closer with ABS Off.
Of course this requires a more delicate and fine Brake Modulation.
In GT1, LMP Cars or Formula Cars the Series Stock Brakes are already High End Stuff which requires the most possible fidelity and fine Control on the Brake Pedal with ABS Off.
I‘d only advice to use very stiff Load Cell Pedals with a high Brake Pressure to drive these Type of Cars with ABS Off.
Otherwise you’ll leave Skid Marks as soon as you just think about breathing too much on the Brakes.
You can easily see and test the following for yourself to prove my Point.
Buy a Stock Production Car and just play around with all the available Brake Upgrade Parts.
Actually you can do this with all Types of Cars.
You‘ll immediately notice the difference and Change in Brake Performance with it whilst only using ABS Off.
Then do the same with ABS weak and in the End with ABS Default.
The Lock up Treshhold Point is going to Shift with each upgrade, the stopping Distance is going to shrink.
In the End it’s all just a personal Preference.
ABS Default is NOT the fastest ABS Setting per se.
It’s just the most safe way to hit the almost optimal Brake Pressure more easily executed no matter the equipped Brakes Type might be.
It’s a Crutch an Aid to give Players a more relaxed way to enjoy the Game.
Same goes for the other Driving AIDS in Game like Traction Control, or Automatic Stability Managment.
You can be almost equally fast with or without them.
The differences in Lap Times are almost neglectibale.
At the end of the Day it’s up to you what you want to experience.
A more forgiving Driving Experience with some sort of Assistance which lets you get away with sloppy inputs or a very precise and clinical approach with all Assists turned off.
I personally raced against People who were equally fast same like me with all different sorts of assisted and non Assisted Driving Helpers.
It’s about finding out what works and suits your current Skill Level and then adapt and refine its Limits.
But I GUARANTEE you, that ABS Default is NOT the fastest Setting.
It’s just the most easiest way to be consistently close to the most available Grip Level throughout the whole Range of available Cars.
ABS Weak for me personally is the way to go as it gives me the shortest Stopping Distance in Combination with the most precision in Car Rotation.
The shortest Stopping Distance I get with ABS Off but only with Low Powered Road Cars, as I’m not capable to hit that optimal Treshhold Point repeatedly.
And I’m absolutely convinced that if others would actually take their time to consciously test by themselves what I’ve tried to explain they would than truly get an understanding how the ABS in GT7 is designed.
A System like ABS Default in GT7 is non existent in Real World, the way it’s designed and the way it works is designed to support the Player.
Of course I understand that if People see all the YouTubers using nothing but ABS Default they also use it and believe them to be the fastest Method.
And to a certain Degree it might be true that an average Player like me for example achieves the best Results with it.
But I can achieve the same if not slightly better Results occasionally with ABS Weak too.
It’s all about perfecting your Inputs and dedication to a specific Input Method.

From my experience and I drive and test a lot of different Cars and Tuning Setups, all I can say that it all depends on the Brakes Type and of Course the Brake Pads.
The entry Class Road Cars let’s say up to 300hp for example come equipped with Production 08/15 Brakes which require lots of Brake Pressure to lock the tires up with ABS Off.
The faster the Cars become the better the Stock installed Series Brakes become and like you mentioned the Lock up Treshhold Point becomes closer with ABS Off.
In GT1, LMP Cars or Formula Cars the Series Stock Brakes are already High End Stuff which requires the most possible fidelity and fine Control on the Brake Pedal with ABS Off.
I‘d only advice to use very stiff Load Cell Pedals with a high Brake Pressure to drive these Type of Cars with ABS Off.
Otherwise you’ll leave Skid Marks as soon as you just think about breathing too much on the Brakes.
Buy a Stock Production Car and just play around with all the available Brake Upgrade Parts.
You‘ll immediately notice the difference and Change in Brake Performance with it whilst only using ABS Off.
The Lock up Treshhold Point is going to Shift with each upgrade, the stopping Distance is going to shrink.
It’s just the most safe way to hit the almost optimal Brake Pressure more easily executed no matter the equipped Brakes Type might be.
Same goes for the other Driving AIDS in Game like Traction Control, or Automatic Stability Managment.
A more forgiving Driving Experience with some sort of Assistance which lets you get away with sloppy inputs or a very precise and clinical approach with all Assists turned off.
I personally raced against People who were equally fast same like me with all different sorts of assisted and non Assisted Driving Helpers.
It’s about finding out what works and suits your current Skill Level and then adapt and refine its Limits.
It’s just the most easiest way to be consistently close to the most available Grip Level throughout the whole Range of available Cars.
ABS Weak for me personally is the way to go as it gives me the shortest Stopping Distance in Combination with the most precision in Car Rotation.
The shortest Stopping Distance I get with ABS Off but only with Low Powered Road Cars, as I’m not capable to hit that optimal Treshhold Point repeatedly.
And I’m absolutely convinced that if others would actually take their time to consciously test by themselves what I’ve tried to explain they would than truly get an understanding how the ABS in GT7 is designed.
A System like ABS Default in GT7 is non existent in Real World, the way it’s designed and the way it works is designed to support the Player.
Of course I understand that if People see all the YouTubers using nothing but ABS Default they also use it and believe them to be the fastest Method.
And to a certain Degree it might be true that an average Player like me for example achieves the best Results with it.
But I can achieve the same if not slightly better Results occasionally with ABS Weak too.
It’s all about perfecting your Inputs and dedication to a specific Input Method.
All facts. ABS weak for life, no hud + wobble 2. If everybody played this kind of GT experience, I think much less complaints would be online... joking but GT7 is really immersive if you let it be

ABS off doesn't lock the tires immediately. Are you on PS5? If so, experiment with the trigger haptics. Some cars will have the cut off point way higher than others (10-15% pressing of the L2 trigger), while others will have a looser brake, that you need to press more for the tires to lock. I find that really great, and imagine how time consuming that was... Race cars and formulas like the F1500 have a really tight brake without ABS. Cuts off really early. But likewise the brakes are really powerful.

ABS weak works like ABS. ABS default is faster for sure, but has some kind of steering assistance too.
Yes, "immediate" was a bit of hyperbole.

It's not just Youtubers though. Literally all the top players use default, whether it's top split A+ drivers or GT world champions and these people will use any possible advantage that'll make them quicker so ABS default is literally quicker than weak and off, certainly for the top drivers anyway.

It's not just Youtubers though. Literally all the top players use default, whether it's top split A+ drivers or GT world champions and these people will use any possible advantage that'll make them quicker so ABS default is literally quicker than weak and off, certainly for the top drivers anyway.
Oh, it's definitely quicker. I do like the feel of ABS weak, but after that last experience, I just can't trust it among other people. IRL, you can feel the brake pedal start going light on lockup and you can react a little better. In the game, with a controller, ABS weak is close to reality, but still too unpredictable when lag, draft, and straight up unpredictability get thrown into the mix.

I haven't gone back to it since that bad experience. I'm really too afraid to be punted down to SR C if I try it again.

Back