AC Ace Bristol 1956

Sick_Cylinder
AC-Ace-Bristol-1959.jpg

AC Ace Bristol rear.jpg

AC Ace Bristol inside.jpg

As well as being jaw droppingly beautiful this car has special historical significance for many reasons (Le Mans competitor and three time SCCA production class champion 1957-59) and deserves to be added to the roster of classics in the game.

The engine is of very unusual design being a 1971cc straight six hemi-head designed in 1935 by Fritz Eidler when he was engine design chief for BMW and was originally used in the pre-war BMW 328 sports car. After the war he went to work for Bristol cars who used this engine design and also supplied units to AC. The engine has 18 pushrods - one for each inlet valve and two for each exhaust - one is vertical and the second operates across the head resulting in what LJK Setright called "a forest of pushrods".

It was capable of 170bhp at 7000 rpm in race trim or 130bhp at 6200 rpm in road trim.

The inlet ports are unusual in that they are arranged vertically with the mixture passing straight through the centre of the head rather than from the side as in a conventional design.

Bristol engine cylinder head.jpg

Above picture shows cross head exhaust pushrod tubes and vertical through head inlet tracts.

Bristol engine.jpg

Triple carbs without filters fitted.

Bristoleng.jpg

Above photo shows the engine as installed in the AC Ace Bristol. Engine efficiency was excellent thanks to the short, straight inlet and exhaust path - a truly remarkable engine!

When Bristol decided they needed a bigger engine they switched to Chrysler V8 power - AC realised that their supply of engines was about to dry up. As a stop gap they started using Ford Zephyr 2.6 litre straight six motors fitted with Ruddspeed heads designed by F1 engine designer Tony Rudd.

Ford were developing a 260 cubic inch V8 for a new pickup truck range which was very lightweight for the time because of its short cylinder block skirt design. Carol Shelby was searching for a suitable lightweight british sports car into which he could slot an american V8 - a practice that he was familiar with from his past experience with J2 Allards which were supplied to the USA without engines and were often fitted with Cadillac V8's. First Shelby approached Chevrolet, but was turned down as they already had the Corvette.

Ford supplied a 260 V8 to Shelby and AC provided an AC Ace without an engine and a marriage was made in heaven - the AC/Shelby Cobra was born!

The engine was enlarged to 289 cubic inches and extensively tuned and Shelby conducted much development work solving the teething problems.

We already have the 427 cobra, it would be nice to get the 289 cobra, but please PD give us the father of the Cobra - the AC Ace!

NB please feel free to add extra information or videos, photos etc - I think this car is sufficiently important that it deserves to be kept at the top of the suggestions list (subject to no breach of protocol of course!)

Don't forget to also like the son of this car - the Shelby Cobra MK 1:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/shelby-cobra-mk1-1962.302857/

Don't forget to also like the father of this car - the Tojeiro Bristol:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...grandfather-of-the-cobra.310397/#post-9719611

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the video of the AC Aceca Dr P - however the car in your video is fitted with an AC straight 6 engine not the Bristol straight 6 engine. This was a very old design of 2 litre over head cam engine and produced 100 bhp in road trim compared with the 130 bhp of the Bristol engine.

The AC Ace and AC Aceca were available with a choice of either AC or the more expensive Bristol engine for many years.

The following video clip highlights the glorious sound of the Bristol engine as fitted to a 1953 Cooper Bristol Mark 2 and was filmed at a recent Goodwood revival meeting.

Yes it is truly a magnificent sound. I was once given a lift in an AC Ace by my Dad's boss - sadly he sold it a few years later to buy a Rover 2000!

I know which one I would rather have!

I hope more people can support this car as it is truly historic and would compare well with other great classics already in the game.

Latest Posts

Back