AC Invacar 70 1975

Australia
QLD,
StigBelcherStyle
AC Invacar Model 70, 1975

Logo.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

INFORMATION

On 31 March 2003 Invacars were banned from British roads because of safety concerns. The veteran vehicle could not meet modern-day government regulations, which required approval under the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Scheme as part of a standard set by the European Union.

There were still around 200 Invacars in Britain before the 2003 recall and scrapping programme. Hundreds of stockpiled Invacars in government warehouses were scrapped along with all their spare parts. A few examples survive in the hands of private owners and museums in Britain and abroad.

PRODUCTION

• Country of Origin : United Kingdom

ENGINE

• Engine : 500cc, 0.5L 1 Cylinder
• Power: 3.7 kw (5 hp)
• Torque: ???
• Engine location: Rear

PERFORMANCE
• 0-48 km/h (0-30 mph) Time = ???
• 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) Time = ???
• Top Speed = 132 km/h (82 mph)

DRIVETRAIN
• Layout Rear engine, Rear-wheel drive system
• 3 Speed Manual transmission

DIMENSIONS
• Wheelbase: 1930 mm (76.0 inches)

Invacar_model_70.JPG

Last edited:

View attachment 504510

SPECIFICATIONS

INFORMATION

On 31 March 2003 Invacars were banned from British roads because of safety concerns. The veteran vehicle could not meet modern-day government regulations, which required approval under the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Scheme as part of a standard set by the European Union.

There were still around 200 Invacars in Britain before the 2003 recall and scrapping programme. Hundreds of stockpiled Invacars in government warehouses were scrapped along with all their spare parts. A few examples survive in the hands of private owners and museums in Britain and abroad.

PRODUCTION

ENGINE

PERFORMANCE

DRIVETRAIN

DIMENSIONS

View attachment 504524

1966:
3753245Dax_Boss_302_-_AC_Cobra_Replica_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg

1975:
Invacar_model_70.JPG

1Sc25bt.jpg

View attachment 504510

SPECIFICATIONS

INFORMATION

PRODUCTION

ENGINE

PERFORMANCE

DRIVETRAIN

DIMENSIONS

View attachment 504552

I haven't clicked like because I wouldn't personally want to drive one in the game or in real life, but it is an interesting suggestion. If the car is taxed (recorded) as an Invalid Carriage then it is illegal to drive on UK roads, but if it is taxed as a Tricycle it can be legally driven. Most of these cars were owned by the "Invalid vehicle Service" which was established after WW2 and closed in 1976 - they were therefore Government owned and could be crushed in 2003. They were available to purchase privately from the manufacturers so those cars were not crushed and can still be driven (subject to how they were taxed / registered with the UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority).

The previous model MK15 AC Acedes was powered by a Villiers single cylinder two stroke of 197cc coupled to a three speed manual box.

The model suggested was produced from June 1971 until February 1978 and featured a flat twin 493cc Steyr-Puch engine with a Salisbury variable belt transmission and was therefore much easier to drive as well as faster.

They were available with tiller bar, handlebar or wheel steering. They were no longer needed because in 1976 the UK Government introduced the "Mobility Allowance" - a scheme which enabled people to receive funding to drive normal cars which were fitted with appropriately adapted controls - this is obviously preferable as the Invacars could not legally take a passenger.

I found this driving impression on the web posted by Annie:

" There were several types (I drove them for more than 30 years) There was a 197cc version with a 3 speed manual transmission (top speed on flat app 50mph) Then in 1970 came the CVT transmissioned 500cc to 650cc engines with 12 litre sized petrol tanks top speeds 75 - 90 mph for a short distance, (I once overtook a Jag on the A2 in excess of 85 mph & was still accelerating. They were noisy, I had to turn my stereo and/or CB jig up to hear properly & the heating system was ***** as too were the demister & headlights and damned uncomfortable on long runs, especially if it was wet as the water would splash up on the engine and drive belt making the drive belt slip & the cab fill with steam. I drove a tuned up one during the summer of '77 covered in decals & had "flames" down the sides and coming out the air vent at the back around London & the Home Counties."

Back