Accesories?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kc5dlo
  • 15 comments
  • 1,106 views
Messages
4
United States
Texas
Messages
kc5dlo
I have been playing with GT5 for a little over a year. I usually stand in front of a 37 in TV and use the wireless controller that came with the PS3. The controller was pretty odd to me at first, but I feel pretty comfortable with it now. I am wondering if I should spend the bucks for a wheel to maybe get an even better experiance? Looking for oppinions from those of you that have much more experiance than me. what set up works the best? Also, I should add that the TV is bedroom and serves mostly as a TV so a permanent set up is not yet in the cards, but hey, TV's are getting pretty cheap so perhaps its time to take over the spare bedroom?
 
Yes to the wheel. It changes the game, more realistic, more rewarding personally.
 
You stand infront of your TV? perhaps the first accessory will be a couch :lol:

I personally highly recommend a wheel, if you can afford the better quality stuff I'd go straight for the G27 as it's far superior to the DFGT

My current setup is my wheel on a desk with a 24 inch PC screen with a turtle beach headset for sound, it works well for me and it saves a lot of room :)
 
You stand infront of your TV? perhaps the first accessory will be a couch :lol:

Hard laughing here... :lol:

For online racing I find myself using a USB-keyboard for faster chat. (I don`t like mic.)
 
All good info above and I'd recommend the wheel also, but only if you have a stable, comfortable platform to use it on. The pedals can't move either. I upgraded from the DFGT to the G27 and it is a good wheel well worth the money, but I also got a lot of use and enjoyment from the $99 DFGT over two years.
 
If you buy a wheel it will certainly change everything. It will take you about a month to fully drift a whole lap and probably a few more weeks to be able to tandem and get your tune to perfection. It will make your drifting smoother and precise. Speaking from experience :)

It's worth buying a wheel but the learning curve is harsh. I got soooo frustrated when I started drifting; it made me stop drifting for days lol.
 
If you got a wheel, I'll give you two months before you got a tv in that spare bedroom! Then before you know it, sim racing chair, surround sound, triple screens!

It's an addiction!
 
If you got a wheel, I'll give you two months before you got a tv in that spare bedroom! Then before you know it, sim racing chair, surround sound, triple screens!

It's an addiction!

Drifting sure is an addiction! 👍

I'm broke lol I only have a Cheap rig (G27 mounted) and a 32 inch Samsung. I can't pay for the real rig :D
 
TwistyDrift
Drifting sure is an addiction! 👍

I'm broke lol I only have a Cheap rig (G27 mounted) and a 32 inch Samsung. I can't pay for the real rig :D

In what world is a G27 with a 32 inch Samsung cheap?
 
I suggest you get a G27 or Driving force GT with a Wheestand pro to start off with. Then get a USB keyboard/microphone for online play!
 
I have been playing with GT5 for a little over a year. I usually stand in front of a 37 in TV and use the wireless controller that came with the PS3. The controller was pretty odd to me at first, but I feel pretty comfortable with it now. I am wondering if I should spend the bucks for a wheel to maybe get an even better experiance? Looking for oppinions from those of you that have much more experiance than me. what set up works the best? Also, I should add that the TV is bedroom and serves mostly as a TV so a permanent set up is not yet in the cards, but hey, TV's are getting pretty cheap so perhaps its time to take over the spare bedroom?

Depending in the amount of cash you want to spend.. If you want a "really good" gaming experience I recommend the DFGT and a large desk (Kimball desk are deep and very sturdy) to bolt it to and a comfortable gaming/desk chair (available at target for around $200) (my usual experience) if the tv is included it's about a $350 experience.. Now if you want to upgrade to a "great experience" in my living room I have another PS3 a "120 composite projector, surround sound, and the T500 RS and rig (borrowing) and its an amazing experience 👍 ..the projector set me back $600 but also my kids love the huge screen for movies so that's an added perk! (And a great bartering chip if your married with kids :D ) .. I've seen a guy on YouTube.com who runs 5 PS3's and 5 TV's for the full panoramic racing view which is compatible (3-5 TV's) on GT5.. This may be my next step (only 3 though, 5 seems excessive) when GT6 comes out on PS4 as long as this will be possible as it is with ps3..So with all said and done, I can honestly say it just depends on your budget and what to want to get into!
 
You stand infront of your TV? perhaps the first accessory will be a couch :lol:

I personally highly recommend a wheel, if you can afford the better quality stuff I'd go straight for the G27 as it's far superior to the DFGT

My current setup is my wheel on a desk with a 24 inch PC screen with a turtle beach headset for sound, it works well for me and it saves a lot of room :)

I got a good chuckle out of that! Mentioned to my neighbor about considering a wheel and he offered to let try his for awhile as he does not use it any more. I will give his a try if it works out I might offer to by his or perhaps invest in a different one.

Thanks to all that responded.
 
I used to scoff at shelling out money for a wheel. In the case of casuals who don't really get into racing or for someone who might not do it for long, I reckon it still isn't worth it. However, for serious players who are going to log a lot of time racing, I recommend a wheel. Ever since getting one for my 360 and one for my PS3, I won't play a racing game without one. Even if it's just an arcade racer, it just feels more enjoyable to me with a wheel and pedals; closer to sitting in an actual car. That alone ratchets up my racing experiences for me, whether it's Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, F1, DiRT, or even just Need for Speed. Any racing game feels more enjoyable to me with a wheel.

It doesn't even have to be expensive. I just got a $150 Microsoft wheel and $130 Driving Force GT and enjoy both just fine. Just make sure not to skimp so much that you get one with no force feedback. Without resistance on the wheel it just feels wrong.
 
Back