Accurate Braking Distance (Gr3 Nissan GTR)?

• Thread starter dabz343
  • 8 comments

dabz343

(Banned)
United States
United States
dabz343
Came across a very fast guy today in lobbies and found something I have not encountered before -- extremely short braking distances. So thought I'd ask to get some feedback as to the accuracy? Here's some snapshots, but I have the full replay.

Simple lobby settings, BoP, no tuning, RS, no wear..but a bit of wind. There are 2 heavy braking zones at Sardegna (1st & last corners). I've included 2 shots for each, 1)just a frame before his brake lights come on (his pedal inputs were lagging a little, and 2) a broader shot so we can see how deep he actually is.

1st corner. He's got more than a bit of a tailwind, but he's well past the 100 mark @ 166mph. If it was me, I would have to brake where the shadow of the 100 board is...at the latest! Without the wind, I'm possibly at he 95 mark...maybe...and I'm going A LOT slower.
1670715201812.png

1670715243034.png

Here he is at the last corner. Still a sizable tailwind, but he is miles past the 100 @ 143mph. With a tailwind like that, I'm at the 105 mark at best...
1670715282056.png

1670715312493.png

So, he carries more speed and brakes later. I'm all for learning so if someone could show me how he is able to do this consistently and manage a 1.37.88 lap, I would be appreciative.

1670716151569.png

Came across a very fast guy today in lobbies and found something I have not encountered before -- extremely short braking distances. So thought I'd ask to get some feedback as to the accuracy? Here's some snapshots, but I have the full replay.

Simple lobby settings, BoP, no tuning, RS, no wear..but a bit of wind. There are 2 heavy braking zones at Sardegna (1st & last corners). I've included 2 shots for each, 1)just a frame before his brake lights come on (his pedal inputs were lagging a little, and 2) a broader shot so we can see how deep he actually is.

1st corner. He's got more than a bit of a tailwind, but he's well past the 100 mark @ 166mph. If it was me, I would have to brake where the shadow of the 100 board is...at the latest! Without the wind, I'm possibly at he 95 mark...maybe...and I'm going A LOT slower.
View attachment 1214829
View attachment 1214830

Here he is at the last corner. Still a sizable tailwind, but he is miles past the 100 @ 143mph. With a tailwind like that, I'm at the 105 mark at best...
View attachment 1214831
View attachment 1214832

So, he carries more speed and brakes later. I'm all for learning so if someone could show me how he is able to do this consistently and manage a 1.37.88 lap, I would be appreciative.

View attachment 12148381
Are you using a wheel/pedal setup or controller? I’m on a g29 and have found out (at least for my driving style) that adjusting the brake sensitivity from the default 60% down to like 35% for track/car combos that prefer hard quick braking and up to 75% for combos that like more of a trail braking/smoother inputs. 🍻 hopefully this helps.

I can do that at the 75m mark fairly easy on controller (first pic).. Timetrial, RS, Stock Car setup. But consistently?? Getting that 75m area is a very fine line.

Nismo GT3 '13

Had no issues at the other areas pictured aswell

Last edited:
He's just really good man. I raced against someone I thought had to be cheating so I watched the replay and they were in fact amazing and it sucked me into watching the whole thing.

I can do that at the 75m mark fairly easy on controller (first pic)
I'm on a wheel and can't get anywhere near the 75 mark. With 16mph tailwind, not even in my dreams...are you reaching 166mph before braking?

He's just really good man.
I've raced many fast guys too, but none braked this late at that speed -- especially with this much tailwind.

Is it anything to do with ABS settings??
I'm wondering that too.

View attachment 1214829
View attachment 1214830

View attachment 1214831
View attachment 1214832

View attachment 12148381
In replays (and maybe when spectating others in a lobby,) the game for some reason applies a kind of ease-in and ease-out function to the raw brake pedal signal, delaying the apparent brake pedal application by up to 500 ms. (hence the "why can't I brake as late as they do in the top ten replays" questions.)

Here's an example: (colored traces are telemetry recorded while racing, white traces are from the replay.)
FUTVVFv.png

Here's telemetry recorded from a downloaded replay (an August Daily Race B, 1st place.) Compare the longitudinal G and the brake pedal traces (i.e. in the replay it looks like he brakes almost 50 m. later than he actually did):
7Nk82uv.png

In replays (and maybe when spectating others in a lobby,) the game for some reason applies a kind of ease-in and ease-out function to the raw brake pedal signal, delaying the apparent brake pedal application by up to 500 ms. (hence the "why can't I brake as late as they do in the top ten replays" questions.)
I too noticed and thought that when I observed his pedal inputs were delayed. That's why I relied on his brake lights to gauge. This first pic is 1 frame before his lights come on, and clearly it shows trailing throttle input. If I note his brake pedal input, then he is braking at the 50m mark.

Btw, when the brake lights come on, I begin to see longitudinal load transfer occurring so I'm assuming I have an accurate point at which he applies brakes. And again, the question is -- is this braking distance accurate, especially with his speed and generous tailwind?

1670779039027.png

Sidebar, that's really cool that you can extract telemetry from replays...is it easy to do? Thx.

Here's an example: (colored traces are telemetry recorded while racing, white traces are from the replay.)
FUTVVFv.png

Here's telemetry recorded from a downloaded replay (an August Daily Race B, 1st place.) Compare the longitudinal G and the brake pedal traces (i.e. in the replay it looks like he brakes almost 50 m. later than he actually did):
7Nk82uv.png
Wow that is ridiculous, car's already at -2.5g before the brakes are even applied. :dunce:

Back