Achilles Heel Anyone?

• Thread starter Twstcrv
  • 14 comments
United States
United States
I have an Open Wheeler racing seat with Fanatec V3 Inv mounted to it and I have recently developed an issue with Achilles heel on my gas pedal foot. It started a few months after I started doing 45 min races in iRacing. I’m not positive the problem isn’t from another activity but I was driving in socks and when it first started I noticed pain in my heel and stiffness in my calf afterward. I am now wearing thin soled leather shoes similar to racing shoes. If anyone has had this experience or if this is a known ergonomic issue with racing sims, especially w/o shoes, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ive been getting it in my brake foot, im using the elite loadcell with heavy bushings and a medium brf level. Only thing ive been doing differently is driving more. Its funny i saw this, makes me feel better as to it being muscle/tissue related that will pass and make my foot stronger. I hope?

Ive been getting it in my brake foot, im using the elite loadcell with heavy bushings and a medium brf level. Only thing ive been doing differently is driving more. Its funny i saw this, makes me feel better as to it being muscle/tissue related that will pass and make my foot stronger. I hope?
I also noticed a little calf pain in my brake foot when I first switched to load cell. For me I think that was just my calf adjusting to the small workout involved. Whats different now is that my gas pedal has a light load, and the pain seems to be right where my heel rests on the baseplate. The angle put it on the back corner of my heel where there is a little inflammation. I’m guessing that’s where the achilles attaches to the heel bone. Shoes have definitely helped but achilles issues require almost complete inactivity to heal so it is taking months now to heal. I have also been driving less to help the process but I’m hoping shoes will be the permanent solution once its healed.

Last edited:
I have an Open Wheeler racing seat with Fanatec V3 Inv mounted to it and I have recently developed an issue with Achilles heel on my gas pedal foot. It started a few months after I started doing 45 min races in iRacing. I’m not positive the problem isn’t from another activity but I was driving in socks and when it first started I noticed pain in my heel and stiffness in my calf afterward. I am now wearing thin soled leather shoes similar to racing shoes. If anyone has had this experience or if this is a known ergonomic issue with racing sims, especially w/o shoes, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Also, does anyone know if racing shoes are padded or reinforced on the back of the heel for this reason? If so I may need to get a pair.

Last edited:
I use sparco karting shoes theres padding, but its the nomex to prevent the invisible fire from getting u. However , most racing boots/shoes have a rolled heal for smoother inputs.

Keep an eye out for your favorite Brands this time of year. fia certs are good 7 years ,but styles go every year. So some retailers may have your models size in on clearance or in my case my new favorite brand and style. trick is to Google search the Manufacturer stock # w/your size for a exact match, you may get lucky, i got $180 usd sparco boots for $55.

Here is a sparco # for example, 00123547NRVF
The laces are poo though! Sparco needs better laces.

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for your favorite Brands this time of year. fia certs are good 7 years ,but styles go every year. So some retailers may have your models size in on clearance or in my case my new favorite brand and style. trick is to Google search the Manufacturer stock # w/your size for a exact match, you may get lucky, i got $180 usd sparco boots for $55.

Here is a sparco # for example, 00123547NRVF
The laces are poo though! Sparco needs better laces.
Thx I’ll start looking!

You should review your driving position. Are you pressing down or forward when breaking? This might help:

Ergonomics_DriverLegAngleForDisengagedPedals.png

edit: add link https://www.buildyourownracecar.com/race-car-driver-ergonomics-and-design/2/

Last edited:
but achilles issues require almost complete inactivity to heal

This is incorrect in the vast majority of cases. You really need to see a health professional to have it diagnosed properly. I would suggest a good Physical Therapist. There are a number of effective treatments depending on the exact problem.

This is incorrect in the vast majority of cases. You really need to see a health professional to have it diagnosed properly. I would suggest a good Physical Therapist. There are a number of effective treatments depending on the exact problem.
Thank you. That is always good advice..but I have to ask: the last time you had an achilles issue, did you find that you were more, or less active on that tendon? Just curious.

Last edited:
In my Playseat Evolution rig I get a sore heel (just in socks, or bare feet) from driving too long, especially in American Truck Simulator :) - I put padding down which helps - it is all about the driving sitting position. In my new F1 Playseat rig the sitting position takes the weight of my heels - legs are supported more by the seat so less weight on the heel. But I am also waiting for my racing shoes to arrive :) My 'racequip' racing shoes arrived and work great, no sore heel after driving for a few hours - pedal sensitivity will take some getting used to. :)

Last edited:
Shoes have definitely helped but achilles issues require almost complete inactivity to heal so it is taking months now to heal.
That depends and can only be diagnosed by a professional. I suffered with Achilles pain for about 15 months (incredibly sore in the morning after waking up until I got warm and started moving, and also painful after playing football etc). I was concerned about damage and a visit to a professional determined I had Achilles tendinopathy. This was the key point - sometimes tendinopathy is associated with damage to the tendon (small tears etc) but often not. In my case after scans it was confirmed there was no damage - I just had the pain part of the problem.

The treatment for me was stretching and rotations of heat and ice (heat before exercise and ice after). I don't know if it helped or not but eventually the pain went away and I have not had a recurrence of it in 8 or so years.

So my advice is to seek advice from a professional.

That depends and can only be diagnosed by a professional. I suffered with Achilles pain for about 15 months (incredibly sore in the morning after waking up until I got warm and started moving, and also painful after playing football etc). I was concerned about damage and a visit to a professional determined I had Achilles tendinopathy. This was the key point - sometimes tendinopathy is associated with damage to the tendon (small tears etc) but often not. In my case after scans it was confirmed there was no damage - I just had the pain part of the problem.

The treatment for me was stretching and rotations of heat and ice (heat before exercise and ice after). I don't know if it helped or not but eventually the pain went away and I have not had a recurrence of it in 8 or so years.

So my advice is to seek advice from a professional.
Your assumptions about me are amazing. Nowhere did I ever state that I haven’t or wouldnt seek the advice of a professional. Thanks for the other stuff though, all useful info. I’m back up to running 1.6 mi with my goal of pain free 5ks next spring. I use a therapy band and stretching much like you do in the morning and before and after excercise. It tends to stiffen up a little in the sim seat so i stretch it after that too. Wearing leather shoes with a little more support than deck shoes has helped but I eventually want decent racing shoes which some are saying are well supported in the heel. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Your assumptions about me are amazing. Nowhere did I ever state that I haven’t or wouldnt seek the advice of a professional. Thanks for the other stuff though, all useful info. I’m back up to running 1.6 mi with my goal of pain free 5ks next spring. I use a therapy band and stretching much like you do in the morning and before and after excercise. It tends to stiffen up a little in the sim seat so i stretch it after that too. Wearing leather shoes with a little more support than deck shoes has helped but I eventually want decent racing shoes which some are saying are well supported in the heel. Thanks for the advice.

I dont think he made any assumptions in his post. @Daz555 just answered the original post and shared his personal experience.

I don't believe I made any assumptions. I simply explained my own experience and suggested that seeking professional advice is a good way to proceed.

Back