Acura NSX GT3 2016

• Thread starter JR98
  • 12 comments
United Kingdom
The UK
JASON_ROCKS1998
JR98 GAMING
giphy.gif

Acura took the wraps off a NSX GT3 racecar today at the 2016 New York International Auto Show, announcing its intention to campaign the twin-turbocharged NSX supercar in North America starting in 2017. The NSX is currently undergoing testing and slated for homologation as an FIA GT3 class racecar this fall.

The unveiled Acura NSX GT3 racecar featured custom bodywork and aero components including a large deck wing spoiler, underbody diffuser and enlarged hood vents for efficient engine cooling. The NSX GT3 will be powered by a 3.5-liter, 75-degree, twin turbocharged DOHC V-6 engine using the same design specifications as the engine in the production 2017 Acura NSX, including the block, heads, valvetrain, crankshaft, pistons and dry sump lubrication system. The engine will be paired with a 6-speed, sequential-shift racing gearbox, delivering power to the rear wheels.

The NSX GT3 will utilize the production NSX's ultra-rigid and lightweight multi-material body with aluminum-intensive space frame, which will be produced by the Performance Manufacturing Center in Ohio, the exclusive manufacturing home for the new Acura NSX. Its twin turbocharged V-6 engine will also be manufactured in Ohio.

Initial development of the NSX GT3 was conducted by the company's Japan race engineering arm with testing on race circuits in Europe and Japan. Additional development, testing and final homologation to FIA GT3 global racing specifications is currently being undertaken by the company's North American race engineering group, Honda Performance Development (HPD), in Santa Clarita, California.

"The NSX was designed as a pinnacle expression of Acura Precision Crafted Performance, and we're looking forward to proving out its ultimate performance capabilities in GT3 racing," said Art St. Cyr, president of Honda Performance Development. "We'll be working with the NSX engineering teams in Ohio and Japan to bring our dream of a truly world-class new Acura NSX racecar to fruition."

The Acura NSX GT3 car will join a rich legacy of Acura sports car racing campaigns and championships, including the 1991, 1992 and 1993 IMSA Camel Lights manufacturer and driver championships, and the 2009 American LeMans manufacturer, driver and team championships in both the LMP1 and LMP2 classes. Acura currently campaigns a pair of TLX GT cars with Real Time Racing in the Pirelli World Challenge.

The production 2017 Acura NSX launches this spring with serial production slated to begin in late April at the Performance Manufacturing Center.

acura-nsx-gt3-race-car-3-1.jpg

acura-nsx-gt3-race-car-2-1.jpg
acura-nsx-gt3-race-car-4-1.jpg

Last edited:
Judging by the familiar looking wall of text, I see someone has really been keen to ultimatecarpage.com ;)

I know it's been a while since anyone has posted. But I'd like to express my delight for Acura in this new endeavour. Everyone wants a piece of the action now days. Acura now taking their flag ship super car model and allowing it compete outside of Super GT series in Japan, great move! I've always preferred the international approach concerning the marketing of race cars. With all it's success as a series the very definition of GT3 screams international competition and I'm glad for Acura making this step.

My only pick with the decision to go GT3 racing with the new Acura NSX, is that GT3 homologated race cars aren't prohibited at the most coveted and iconic race Le Mans 24hrs. This isn't a fault by Acura in anyway I support their cause, it just so happens that current regulations prohibit the participation of GT3 cars at Le Mans and its supporting championship series'. Its a stark contrast to the cars' predecessor the earlier model which competed under GT2 homologations in the early 90's. The most impressionable chassis for me being that of the Kremer racing teams' Acura NSX GT2 which has also been featured in the GT games.

There are pro's for entering into GT3 racing, the obvious one being that it is cheaper and a heavily customer based racing discipline. Not to mention GT3 competition is just awesome it has been said that GT3 racing features the best Bop formula in any discipline, this allows a great spectacle no matter the location.

Homologations for a GTLM/GTE/GT2 version would be great to see also.

Buddy of mine I work with just got to go for a spin in one. They build the engines in Anna, Ohio and the body/chassis in Marysville, Ohio.

Theirs a blue one being passed around to all the big shot Honda/Acura managers at the two plants. That NSC is being beat on around the farm roads in Western Ohio! lol.....

13239110_874378979374181_662060846153402289_n.jpg

Granted, not the race car version but still cool.....haha.

It feels.like this car will be in 7 or gt sport
I think the road version will make it in, since the 2013 Concept was added to GT6 and GT has always had NSX's, but I don't think we'll see the official GT3 version in GTS, especially since all the GT3 cars that weren't already in GT6 seem to be fictional Gr.3 cars (Apart from the R8 LMS '16). But I do think a similar Gr.3 version is likely.

QUICK! Burn it with holy water! (No, but seriously, I hate the new NSX with my very soul. Stock, or race modified. It's kinda better, if it was badged as a Honda.)

Back