Adam's RX8

• Thread starter Adam41
  • 10 comments
England
England
WilliamsJIM_Adam
After months of hunting for a good one, I finally bought an RX8 R3. :D

20200224_104103.jpg

For a 10 year old car, it's in great condition inside and out and has been well looked after by previous owners.

It's had a few modifications - the rims have been sprayed black, the wing mirrors have been replaced with slimmer S1 mirrors, it's got a Cosworth air filter and it's currently running on 245/35 tyres as opposed to the standard 225/40.

The driving position feels special, the Recaros hug you really tight and the unique engine sound of the rotary as it rises through the revs is amazing (and addictive!).

I'll get some more pics up when it stops raining/hailing/snowing here in the UK and update the thread with any changes made to the car. :)

After months of hunting for a good one, I finally bought an RX8 R3. :D

View attachment 894718

For a 10 year old car, it's in great condition inside and out and has been well looked after by previous owners.

It's had a few modifications - the rims have been sprayed black, the wing mirrors have been replaced with slimmer S1 mirrors, it's got a Cosworth air filter and it's currently running on 245/35 tyres as opposed to the standard 225/40.

The driving position feels special, the Recaros hug you really tight and the unique engine sound of the rotary as it rises through the revs is amazing (and addictive!).

I'll get some more pics up when it stops raining/hailing/snowing here in the UK and update the thread with any changes made to the car. :)
Remember that it's the law that you must beeeep it at least once every trip.

Remember that it's the law that you must beeeep it at least once every trip.

That's the great thing isn't it? You get in the car and you need to give it some wellie!

As long as the engine's warm. If you already haven't ran out of petrol. :D

Tell him about the guy that didn't :D
Found the previous time I told this...
Ahhh, the beeping story.

The renesis engine of the RX8 does a hell of a lot as it goes up the rev range. It's forever opening and closing ports, and changing the intake route depending on how much air it needs. The 3rd intake port on the 231bhp engine opens at about 7500rpm. Also, unlike piston engines that tend to get rougher the higher they go so you know you're getting near the rev limit, the rotary stays smooth and relatively quiet all the way to 9500rpm, so there's a beep at about 9100 to remind you to change up.

So, this chap form the RX8 forums is looking to get another 8, and he sees one and goes to have a look at it. He asks the owner to take it out on a test drive with the owner driving. He has owned the car for about 4 years. The prospective buyer then says, "Can you take it to the beep?" and the says, "The what?" After being told what it was, he agreed.

So he gingerly takes it up the rev range, when it gets to 7500 where the 3rd port opens, there's an almighty bang and the engine dies. As the engine had never been up that high in the rev range for years, the 3rd exhaust port was so caked in oily residue that it was blocked.

The moral of this story is, if you get an RX8, beep it at least once per journey. But only in 1st or 2nd gear as beeping it in any other gear is illegal, (well technically not illegal in itself, but the speed you'll be doing is...) and only after it's warmed up.

Don't know how I missed this. Beautiful. Mazda can make some pretty brilliant cars when they put their mind to it. Would love to have a successor to the 8.

Back