Adding ambiance and a real race feeling

  • Thread starter Thread starter Punknoodle
  • 18 comments
  • 1,668 views
Messages
3,221
Australia
Brisbane
Messages
Punknoodle_Nick
In my opinion, GT5 has a very bland approach to the races, especially the big championships in A Spec. (Can't comment about online, never tried it) It goes something like select car, choose race. Loading screen. Race menu, then straight into race. Results screen. Not terrible exciting or involving.

What I think this game would really benefit from, is more of a race weekend atmosphere, at least to the big championships. What I mean is, you select the car, then the championship. You then get to the first track, set the car up and you have qualifying, followed possibly by a top 10 shootout. After that is back to the tuning screen to make any changes to the car. Then when you start the race, instead of it being 3,2,1, go, you have a warm up lap to warm tires. (The computer could take over once you get to the grid as to properly place your car on the grid).

This, coupled with a safety car (not that its really needed with the complete lack of mechanical damage 👎 ) would, at least for me, add a lot of feeling to big championships. Anyone agree?
 
Sounds like a good idea, though I would not want to keep doing that when I restart..
 
Streakers on track?

Flares I'm stands?

Something needed
 
I agree a bit more fanfare would be nice. But also agree with GTO, the 5 or 6 second start sequence to the RX7 tsukuba seasonal event really got on my nerves after the amount of times i had to restart!
 
What I mean is, you select the car, then the championship. You then get to the first track, set the car up and you have qualifying, followed possibly by a top 10 shootout. After that is back to the tuning screen to make any changes to the car. Then when you start the race, instead of it being 3,2,1, go, you have a warm up lap to warm tires. (The computer could take over once you get to the grid as to properly place your car on the grid).

This, coupled with a safety car (not that its really needed with the complete lack of mechanical damage 👎 ) would, at least for me, add a lot of feeling to big championships. Anyone agree?
No. This is GT not FI or a dedicated championship series game.

You can easily check your tunes before you start, a warm up lap would be a nice touch but how long before I get bored of it...I want to race.

Ambiance could easily be improved; why are all the tracks half empty of spectators ? Some spectator noise down the home straights and in specific crowded areas, and mechanical noise in the pits would be nice - tyre jacks are not quiet !

But then that is GT, for all the good stuff, it is a tad sterile.
 
Oh what about the NASCAR event where you start as the car goes into pits? Takes 40 secs to get on to the track! After the first time you should start out just 'after' the stop right? Wrong it's 40 seconds wait every dang time.

This is what worried me with Pd and more pre race fan fare.
 
man if the career mode was really that involving it would be great when you drive with the hud turned off and map turned off it is way more realistic
 
I agree, I think GT should focus more on being 'The Real MOTOR RACING Simulator' than what it currently is. I'd like to see all of the most important dynamics that make motorsport what it is implemented, things like: a proper flag system, stewards AI, safety car, formation lap, qualifying, a proper points system over the championship ect ect (I could go on all day).


👍
 
Last edited:
You're right! Something I've loved in Prologue were the garage scenes before every race. I think they really added to the immersion and were very cool to look at. Qualifying also added to realism and immersion.

Of course, they didn't make it to the final game...
 
It's a good idea for some races, in GT4 when you started Le Mans the way the planes flew through the sky over you was quite cool. I think a pace car and warm up lap for some races would enhance realism, but as mentioned above it would also be highly annoying on some races, especially those you have to repeat or those I grind on.

I think there are so many other issues with GT5 that make a mockery of this being a driving simulater Polyphony should look at those first.

An example of this would be much discussed brake issues -all cars having ABS as standard and adjustable brake bias - even on my VW Samba? In real life the Sambas never even had disc brakes, all Sambas had drum brakes. When there are issues such as this then I think ambiance is nowhere near the top of my personal list of things GT5 is lacking.

Also, is it just me or does anyone else find the crowd at the start of the rallies (rally school - beginner, intermediate and advanced) really really annoying, the whooping and hollaring just gets on my nerves so much.
 
Bspec bob should die if he gets in a nasty crash.
 
Oh what about the NASCAR event where you start as the car goes into pits? Takes 40 secs to get on to the track! After the first time you should start out just 'after' the stop right? Wrong it's 40 seconds wait every dang time.

This is what worried me with Pd and more pre race fan fare.

GT4 - Mission 39 (SLR around Nurburgring, think it was 39...) anyone? GOD that got on my nerves very quickly! Just the 3 second delay in the Loeb challenges were bad enough...
 
How about a Guy waving a flag chequered style when you win?

All rally challenges why do I need to watch the cars in front set off before I go. Really why?
 
I just want GT5 can put back the qualifying section during GT MODE basic racing event just like in GT 1. We can choose to use it or not. let us can have a chance to practice/ tuning the car before every single race, choose the starting position which we want to.
 
There isnt a real need to qualify, but I would like to have the option. Not just start 7th.
And the option the practice before each race.

Also before each race (while adjusting driving options) instead of having the cars go around the track why not have a proper grid set up with mechanics, grid girls and other people just on the track.

I think a warm up lap and a safety car would be cool but i would get annoyed by it.
 
GT has never really been about the racing unfortunatly.
 
I think going that way might alienate others though. Realistically there are a ton of games for that on PC. And they are all very good games, but all very niche....I am one of those people who would play GTR2, sit down and play through an entire race weekend(well maybe not one sitting, since you can save mid race weekend). Do the whole practice, tune my setup, learn the track. Then do the qualifying, then do the warm up and the race. Its all very dry and boring to a non-race type but thats where the fun is(not to mention you can set your AI strength to match your skill level).

GT was always more about the cars and driving them to me. That aspect of it is sorely lacking in most "normal" racing game with semi-respectable physics.
 
That all sounds real good and realistic, however there will need to be a way of turning that off, for restarts and doing many races in a day. It would be best implemented as separate event to A-Spec with a few races with more XP for doing it
 
That all sounds real good and realistic, however there will need to be a way of turning that off, for restarts and doing many races in a day. It would be best implemented as separate event to A-Spec with a few races with more XP for doing it

And there is another thing, on games like GTR2 or rFactor, you do an entire weekend, you qualify on pole and wins the 3 hour race, and what do you get? NOTHING. No points, no credit, you don't win a car, no achievement points. You get a trophy screen saying you won.

Again, up to the standard of enjoyment of the player. I really don't need the game to tell me I am having fun or not...
 
Back