adding connector in line for G27 shifter??

• Thread starter JeffF
  • 9 comments
Here is my situation, first. I am building a cockpit for GT5/other racing games. I am making a 1 in. steel framed cockpit, but can't just leave it out. So that I may put it away, I have made the seat unnattach from the rest of the unit. I haven't fabricated the console for shifter/ebrake yet but am trying to plan that part out... I would like it also to be able to unattach from the unit, but I don't want to dismount the shifter every time, nor do i want to unfasten the wheel to get at the plug underneath so I can unplug the shifter and leave it on. Is there any way I can put a second connector in the wire to the shifter so I can unhook it without unplugging from under the wheel.?? sorry for the long post, but I wanted you all to know why I was doing this... thanks, Jeff

Theoretically, you can cut the cable and put connectors each side of the cut.

I say theoretically, because the wires are really thin and frail. I cut through the ones going from the front to rear part of the shifter itself after I'd sawn it in two to re-locate it. I used little banana connectors (see lower right of the second pic below), so I can dismantle it if necessary, but I don't know if these wires would stand up to a lot of abuse.

2319815050103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

2244570760103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

If your really crafty, to solve the thin wire issue, I wonder if you would use thicker guage. Ie, keep the stock thing stuff near the shifter, and use tougher thicker guage where you would disconnect etc, know what i mean?

how many wires are in there? just curious. And any idea how thin? We have some connectors at work that are good for pretty small gauge wire. And I suppose I could cut and solder on some heavier wire and then put some butt connectors into the heavier wire, so I don't risk pulling on the thin wires, good idea sdmf. I guess I just wanted to make sure nobody had a "no don't do that because....." answer before I cut the cable, lol. thanks for the replys

Last edited:
No need to go cutting your shifter unit, as you can buy a cable extender to make things easier as I've seen this done with the GT Omega rig, which splits in two halves. It essentially has the same problem you're looking to solve.

If I can find the place I read about it, I'll post up the exact name of the type of cable you need as I remember it was posted.

If your really crafty, to solve the thin wire issue, I wonder if you would use thicker guage. Ie, keep the stock thing stuff near the shifter, and use tougher thicker guage where you would disconnect etc, know what i mean?

Yeah, I used thicker wire to extend it, but connected the bananas directly onto original wire, as I don't normally need to disconnect it.

I agree that, if you will routinely disconnect, then the plugged connection should be within the thicker extension part 👍

No need to go cutting your shifter unit, as you can buy a cable extender to make things easier as I've seen this done with the GT Omega rig, which splits in two halves. It essentially has the same problem you're looking to solve.

If I can find the place I read about it, I'll post up the exact name of the type of cable you need as I remember it was posted.

this would be perfect... I wasn't aware you could actually buy an extention that would just plug in. That would be ideal... IF I can find one. thanks

I can't beleive any of you guys notice the type of connector. Maybe your too young and haven't live in the "era" where computer had serial port, but well, the g27 pedal and shifter connectors are DB9 standard serial cable.

You just have to buy an extension cable with female-female or male-male connector (don't rembember wich one is the shifter), at any good internet cable store (monoprice.com for exemple).

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10212

Back