• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

kolio

I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
Premium
United States
the bottom of my heart.
kolio123
Recently I have been having an issue where the ads will be much wider than the contents of the page. This has never happened until maybe 2 weeks ago or so.

I feel like it could possibly be a Chrome issue, but I am posting here just in case it is not.

P.S.It is not terribly annoying as all I have to do is double tap my screen to get to the regular zoom amount. However, it is possible when I am scrolling that I scroll to the side because the ad extends the page width.

Other Details: It has happened on the News page and the Forums. Also, it has corrected itself and resized before. But that is not very often at all.

Screenshot_2016-09-16-13-12-27.png

Recently I have been having an issue where the ads will be much wider than the contents of the page. This has never happened until maybe 2 weeks ago or so.

I feel like it could possibly be a Chrome issue, but I am posting here just in case it is not.

P.S.It is not terribly annoying as all I have to do is double tap my screen to get to the regular zoom amount. However, it is possible when I am scrolling that I scroll to the side because the ad extends the page width.

Other Details: It has happened on the News page and the Forums. Also, it has corrected itself and resized before. But that is not very often at all.

View attachment 586054
Yes, it's happened to me too.
My only online access is through my iPhone 6S & it's rather an annoying problem.

Thanks for the report. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this, nor have I seen it in testing or while using the site with my own iPhone.

What type of Android device are you using, @kolio?

@Pete05, do you only see this when using Chrome on iOS? Or does this occur using Mobile Safari?

Thanks for the report. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this, nor have I seen it in testing or while using the site with my own iPhone.

@Pete05, do you only see this when using Chrome on iOS? Or does this occur using Mobile Safari?
Oddly enough, I just figured out how to create the problem.

Step 1: Put phone in horizontal/landscape view.
Step 2: Refresh the page and wait for loading to be done.
Step 3: Turn phone back to the vertical view.

Which ever way the phone is tilted, the banner add will be sized to proportion of a certain part of the page. And then it stays that size even when you change between vertical and horizontal.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. Chrome is updated to the latest version.

Yes, I should have mentioned that is one situation where this would be expected to occur. The banners and page are not refreshed when the device orientation is changed.

I had assumed you were seeing the large banners when you were not changing the orientation of your phone; is that correct?

Yes, I should have mentioned that is one situation where this would be expected to occur. The banners and page are not refreshed when the device orientation is changed.

I had assumed you were seeing the large banners when you were not changing the orientation of your phone; is that correct?
From what I can remember, that is correct. But there is always a possibility that I had leaned my phone without knowing.

The only thing that makes me wonder, is why I haven't experiencd this until as of late.

Not a big deal, now that I know what to do though. 👍

Sorry for the delay in responding Jordan :embarrassed:
I only ever access GTP using Safari so I'm not sure if it's specific to that or not.

Sorry for the delay in responding Jordan :embarrassed:
I only ever access GTP using Safari so I'm not sure if it's specific to that or not.
Is this still something you see regularly, even if you have not just rotated your phone?

Is this still something you see regularly, even if you have not just rotated your phone?
If I just keep the phone upright, the ads are wider than the rest of the page & when I scroll, I can't help but scroll sideways.
If I rotate the phone, it's not an issue but that's not my preferred way of viewing.

If I just keep the phone upright, the ads are wider than the rest of the page & when I scroll, I can't help but scroll sideways.
If I rotate the phone, it's not an issue but that's not my preferred way of viewing.
Does it stay that way even if you refresh the page while the phone is upright?

I've been working on this, but still have not been able to reproduce it. I discussed this with the engineers from the ad provider as well, and they're also stumped as to how this could ever happen.

Before I make major changes to the code, I want to conduct one last test with those of you experiencing this:

When you see the ads that are too large, do they have a small red border around them?

I've been working on this, but still have not been able to reproduce it. I discussed this with the engineers from the ad provider as well, and they're also stumped as to how this could ever happen.

Before I make major changes to the code, I want to conduct one last test with those of you experiencing this:

When you see the ads that are too large, do they have a small red border around them?
Mine do, producing the issue (technically non-issue) the way I stated before.

No, no red border for me even if I rotate the phone.

Jordan, it's such a minor issue for me personally, I wouldn't bother changing code or trying to chase whatever is causing the problem if you could call it that. It's more of an inconvenience than anything else & I can live with it no problem.
Thanks for looking into it anyway :cheers:

I've just updated all of the ad code across the site so the medium-sized (468x60) banners which you guys were seeing have been removed. Only the small mobile banners or the large desktop banners can be loaded on the page now. This should resolve the issue for both of you, including the ability to rotate your phone without affecting the layout.

Jordan, it's such a minor issue for me personally, I wouldn't bother changing code or trying to chase whatever is causing the problem if you could call it that. It's more of an inconvenience than anything else & I can live with it no problem.
Thanks for looking into it anyway :cheers:
It's one of the more bizarre issues I've ever seen reported. Bizarre issues drive me absolutely crazy, but I always end up learning something (usually some extreme edge case) while trying to fix them.

The fact that you didn't see the red border is even more baffling, though. The code which invokes the different banner sizes is about as simple as it gets: "if the screen width is less than X, show this size banner, otherwise show that one with a red border." It worked exactly as expected in my browser, in the simulator, and on each iPhone 6 and 6 Plus that I tested with. The fact that the red border wasn't displayed for you seems almost impossible, especially on a homogenized device and platform like the iPhone and iOS, but we'll have to chalk that up to one of the mysteries of the Internet. :crazy:

It does indeed load the banner as the vertical position size now. Even when refreshed from horizontal view. 👍

Quite honestly, it doesn't affect the effectiveness of the add. 👍

Back