Advanced riding techniques?

• Thread starter knockedout
  • 18 comments
Im kind of disappointed with the (apparent) lack of ability to break rear wheel traction when coming into turns or getting on the throttle hard when exiting corners... or maybe Im just not getting it right?

Anyway, Im trying to "back it" into turns by getting the rear of the bike to swing out and then carry a slide through the corner but it seems impossible. The trick Im using is to put more weight over the front wheel while braking and leaning thereby getting the rear to lift and slide out... but it either ends in a highside or I simply wind up readjusting the angle of the bike more towards the apex.

Anyone play around with this? It'll be a shame if its not possible to get the rear wheel spinning... hopefully they at least add it into the next game.

Your bike must not be powerful enough or something, I can easily break the back wheel loose when giving it throttle in a corner.

Sometimes, when I really push late into a turn and cut sharp enough toward the apex, I'll get what you're looking for. It will only carry 25% of the way through the turn tops before gaining traction, and is very unstable. It seems like drifting in GT2, more like a scary thing you don't want.

PERFECT BALANCE
Your bike must not be powerful enough or something, I can easily break the back wheel loose when giving it throttle in a corner.

A GSXR1000 is plenty powerful...

Maybe its breaking loose but Im not realizing it. Regardless, I can snap the throttle wide open in mid corner right at the meat of the powerband and it still doesnt feel like it brakes loose.

Im using first person so I can't see the tire, but the bike certainly doesnt feel like its breaking traction.

If it breaks loose and you stay on the throttle, you should absolutely 100% definitely lowside... but its never happened to me.

Ive lowsided the bike but its always been because of uneven pavement or poor track conditions.

Yep, this is one of the major flaws that we discovered when the Asia version launched in January. Pro Controller mode allows the wheel to spin-up, but only in the final few thousand revs, and more importantly, the spinning simply saps engine power (benignly), rather than affecting the handling of the bike. I was hoping that this issue might have been addressed in the North American version, though your accurate description indicates otherwise.

knockedout
Im kind of disappointed with the (apparent) lack of ability to break rear wheel traction when coming into turns or getting on the throttle hard when exiting corners... or maybe Im just not getting it right?

Anyway, Im trying to "back it" into turns by getting the rear of the bike to swing out and then carry a slide through the corner but it seems impossible. The trick Im using is to put more weight over the front wheel while braking and leaning thereby getting the rear to lift and slide out... but it either ends in a highside or I simply wind up readjusting the angle of the bike more towards the apex.

Anyone play around with this? It'll be a shame if its not possible to get the rear wheel spinning... hopefully they at least add it into the next game.

you mean like this....
IMG_0603.jpg

this is coming out of a corner....
IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

knockedout

i too was frustrated in the beginning being a motorcyclist who rides hard. once you get the hang of the game...you'll figure out how to do what you want.

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

So what's the technique?

In a few of those it looks like you're standing the rear wheel up while hard on the brakes and letting the back end slide out... I can do that no problem, but turning it into a powerslide is a whole other ballgame.

Also, how many of those wound up with you in the grass? :sly:

you have to use the rear brake to slide the rear in. braking with front and downshifting hard doesn't do anything. corner exits are easy...steering and throttle. the last shot is the only one where i ended up falling.

180bandit
you have to use the rear brake to slide the rear in. braking with front and downshifting hard doesn't do anything..

It does if you push up on left analog to transfer weight forward... Ive used it to readjust my lines and it works well if used in moderation, otherwise its almost a guaranteed highside.

Anyway, I'll try what you're saying. I've tried getting the back end to break traction with the rear brake but it hasn't happened yet. I'll keep practicing.

Thanks.

Man those slides look BADASS!! Go Garry McCoy up there! I'll be working on that when I get home!

Here's a couple good real-world slides for reference...

Attachments

• verm_slide77.jpg
    verm_slide77.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 68
  • slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 73
Drifting is fun, but its not a usefull method of getting around the racetrack. It is a *side effect* of going fast, and it may be usefull in some circumstances.. but it shouldant be your riding 'style'.

With that out of the way, there are several things that cause a drift. The first is bieng jerky with the throttle.. *Never* chop the throttle closed. The golden rule of motorcycle throttle control is this:

Once the throttle is cracked open on a corner exit, it is smoothly and consistantly rolled on. Any line that detracts from your ability to adhere to this rule, is not the best line.

If you are mid-corner, and you chop the throttle closed, it can cause the rear to lose traction because of the abrupt wieght transfer. This will not help you maintain a tight line however, and most times, it will cause you to swing wide.

If you are entering a corner, and your wieght is too far forward (by pushing slighty forward on the stick), the rear may try and 'swap' and you will get the 'backing it in' effect. This can be usefull *sometimes* very early in the corner entry, just to get the bike pointed the right direction, but you need to very quickly stabilise the bike, and get wieght back on the rear so it will hook up and you can get a good, solid drive out of the corner.

Just remember, whoever can open the throttle earlier in the corner, and adhere to the golden rule (dont roll off, keep it coming on smoothly), will be faster out of the corner. If your line doesnt allow you to do this, try a different one.

I just realized the reason it didn't work for me.... I was in standard controller mode. Switching to pro made it all different. It actually breaks traction now.

Cool. Thats all I wanted to see.

knockedout

adjust your brake balance. Seems to work better hard front, softer rear for what you're trying to do.

Back