Advice For New Player

United States
United States
I am strongly considering buying Forza Horizon 3, but would appreciate any advice from veteran players. A disclaimer, I haven't gamed much since I had a PlayStation 2, so pardon my ignorance since I don't know much about gaming today. Is it better to buy the code or actual disc? If I get the code, can the game be played at all without any connection? Do I need the 500 GB or 1 TB storage? How much storage does the code version of the game eat up? Other than VIP, should I buy the Utimate/more expensive version?

The digital copy is around 50gbs, but with the updates its probably will take 60 some odd gigs. You can play the digital version if your not online, although some fuctions such as user designs, or the ability to sell unwanted cars in the auction house will be unavailable

FIRST you may need gold to download the dlc, not sure if silver will work. I believe there was 6 car packs released. I usually downloaded 2 to 3 cars out of each pack; so im not sure if its Worth buying all the packs at once, but each is own. The vip comes with a an additional 10 or so cars(mostly racecars). And the double RANDOM wheel spins. I can do a race which earns me 4 spins and 2 can be 7k(double for vip ) soo... I'll leave that alone.

But when you talk about cost per time of entertainment you can't go wrong with buying all of it. Vip, expansions, racing wheel, etc.. Horizon is the sole reason i bought a xbox and g920 wheel. I was happy kicking the clutch in gt6 with my g27 waiting for seven. I was playing midnight club La for my open world fix. Info of sport delay dropped around the same time as the info for horizon. I was sold. As a car guy horizon is the best racing game I've ever played. You won't be disappointed. Im not even excited about any of the new racers including Fm7. All I can think is horizon 4 has to be tokyo!!!!

Seems like your eyeing an xbox aswell. You can compare the price of the 1tb xbox(horizon bundle) to the one with the least gigs+ $70 for 2tb external drive(probably your best bet). Anyways go get your mind right. Happy gaming!

That is good to hear the digital copy can be played offline. Nice to hear the game won't eat up too much storage. Is there any advantage of having the disc version? I would like that I would have an instruction manual. Does the digital copy have an instruction manual? I have no idea how useful selling cars at auction is a benefit or not. What is gold and silver? How much do those packs cost? The deluxe edition already costs $70 or something, so I may not want to spend anymore on other features.

Yeah, I'm eying an XBox. It is really disappointing Forza Horizon is Xbox and computer exclusive, but that is a good business model for someone I guess. I regret buying a PlayStation 4 now. I was always a big Gran Turismo 2 fan, and I was always more familiar with their console and controller, so I bought one last year. But most of the YouTube reviews I saw rated the Forza games higher than the last Gran Turismo. I'm starting to get tired of waiting for Gran Turismo Sport, and I love the beautiful scenery of Forza Horizon. Thanks for the insight.

Is there any advantage of having the disc version? I would like that I would have an instruction manual. Does the digital copy have an instruction manual?

Besides being able to sell the game later on the disc version has no advantage. Modern consoles install the whole game either way so the disc just serves as verification that you own the game. And neither version comes with a physical manual.

I have no idea how useful selling cars at auction is a benefit or not.

It's useful for selling cars you no longer want. There's also rare cars that you can sell for millions.

You can also usually find cars for less than what they go for in the game's dealership.

What is gold and silver?

You need a gold membership to play online. It's $60/year, but they give you 3 free games a month so it's actually a pretty good deal.

How much do those packs cost? The deluxe edition already costs $70 or something, so I may not want to spend anymore on other features.

If I were you I would check out what's in the first 6 packs that have been released and decide if they interest you. If they do spring for the ultimate edition as it includes the season pass which covers the first 6 packs.

The base game along with the Forzathon cars are more than enough to satisfy if you don't want to but the DLC cars though.

Played game for the first time last night. It was pretty sad how bad I am. I can't keep the car from swerving all over the road. Some of the objectives are confusing as well. Can I turn the sensitivity down? Any other tips?

Played game for the first time last night. It was pretty sad how bad I am. I can't keep the car from swerving all over the road. Some of the objectives are confusing as well. Can I turn the sensitivity down? Any other tips?
Are you driving with or without assists? It sounds like you might be having some trouble with the physics model.

I would suggest sticking to FWDs until you get the hang of the game.

You'll get used to it. FWD and AWD cars are easier to handle, better if they are between C and B class. A class cars are good, but more power. Just keep practicing and you can handle the S classes.

FIRST you may need gold to download the dlc, not sure if silver will work.

Silver should suffice. Gold isn't required to download games or DLC.

Yeah, I'm eying an XBox. It is really disappointing Forza Horizon is Xbox and computer exclusive, but that is a good business model for someone I guess. I regret buying a PlayStation 4 now. I was always a big Gran Turismo 2 fan, and I was always more familiar with their console and controller, so I bought one last year. But most of the YouTube reviews I saw rated the Forza games higher than the last Gran Turismo. I'm starting to get tired of waiting for Gran Turismo Sport, and I love the beautiful scenery of Forza Horizon. Thanks for the insight.

That's a problem for both sides. Xbox owners don't get certain PlayStation exclusives, either. Racing fans are clearly better off with Xbox, though. Forza has been the console benchmark for the past decade. Nobody compares console racers versus GT any longer, but rather everything gets compared to Forza. GT games have their good parts, but as a total package they come up just so-so. On top of that, they're so few and far between. There's a new Forza every year, whereas PS4 currently looks to be lucky if it gets a single GT in its entire life cycle. It launched in 2013 and as of May 2017 it still has zero GT titles.

Also consider getting FH2 which takes place in southeast France/northwest Italy. It's a completely different set of scenery and is just as fun. It also has VW (if that's important to you) which FH3 does not. It also comes with the Storm Island expansion which I really enjoyed.

Silver should suffice. Gold isn't required to download games or DLC.

That's a problem for both sides. Xbox owners don't get certain PlayStation exclusives, either. Racing fans are clearly better off with Xbox, though. Forza has been the console benchmark for the past decade. Nobody compares console racers versus GT any longer, but rather everything gets compared to Forza. GT games have their good parts, but as a total package they come up just so-so. On top of that, they're so few and far between. There's a new Forza every year, whereas PS4 currently looks to be lucky if it gets a single GT in its entire life cycle. It launched in 2013 and as of May 2017 it still has zero GT titles.
The only reason I regret buying an Xbox One now is because the games look so much better on PC. I don't regret not buying a PS4 at all.

Back