AFL Thread.

• Thread starter Com Fox
  • 20 comments
Australia
Central Coast, NSW
EelX 5
@daan suggested I make a new thread.

Anyway, with what I said on the old thread...

So with the new season coming up, I'll try reviving this thread. I root for the Cats.

Honestly though, not to thrilled about the 1st Round. AFL are probably going to milk the whole "cheating on wife" news all the way through the 1st Round and hearing for the millionth time will just annoy me.

If anyone here watches AFL, what team do you root for?

If anyone here watches AFL, what team do you root for?

Root for?
What you meant to say is barrack for. :P

Also it's not the AFL milking the Brownless/Lyon scenario, pretty sure they have not mentioned that on the record once.
The whole blame for that lies at the feet of the media.

Oh and Collingwood fwiw. 👍

True and true :P.

I'm a bit of a Collingwood supporter myself though the Cats do take priority for me :)

I despise the Geelong football club but that's only because I live in Geelong. The smugness when they are winning (which is often) is unbearable around town if you don't barrack for them. :lol:
Credit where it is due though they have been a fantastic club over the past decade.

If Collingwood were to only win two games against Geelong I'd be happy.

I despise the Geelong football club but that's only because I live in Geelong. The smugness when they are winning (which is often) is unbearable around town if you don't barrack for them. :lol:
Credit where it is due though they have been a fantastic club over the past decade.

If Collingwood were to only win two games against Geelong I'd be happy.
Ah, I kinda feel the same way about the Sydney Swans :lol:, it is even worst when they try talking about AFL and Sydey Swans when they only know about NRL :lol:.

Well Collingwood did beat Geelong in their NAB Challenge match so I guess you are getting there :).

I'm a fourth-generation Carlton supporter.
My Great Grandfather lived in West Brunswick and would walk to Princes Park rain, hail or shine whenever the Blues were playing at home.
1995 was a longtime ago & I take no joy at all in our wooden spoon or the recent turmoil that has been hard to watch.
I truly believe we're at least 4 years away from a potential Grand Final appearance. It's rebuild time and I believe we'll have done our job if we finish bottom four to six so long as it isn't another bloody spoon.

From AFL watching experience. There is a common trend that happen where a Team ends up rising to the top only to fall back down years later (Brisbane and Geelong are a example). Not sure if Vice Versa applies but if it does maybe teams like the Melbourne Demons and Carlton maight make it to the Grand Final.

At the moment Carlton aren't doing so well against Richmond :/.
I know it's not happy viewing but I'm split down the middle in a way.
If I tip Carlton to win, they let me down so, for the footy tipping comp at work, I've tipped Richmond :embarrassed:

Tip with your head, not your heart.

Watched the game. Carlton supporters should be happy. They seem to be playing better football (only 1st round though).

I'm a Freo supporter btw. An odd choice apparently, I have no real explanation for it. I grew up in Vic and was raised in a diehard Richmond family. Just found myself watching more Freo matches in 2006 and started supporting them in '07 omwards.

Tip with your head, not your heart.
The key to any tipping comp!

I used to think decent of Freo but one of their players rubbed me the wrong way so much (which is weird because I'm the kinda guy who says rooting for a player is all about the shirt :P).

I used to think decent of Freo but one of their players rubbed me the wrong way so much (which is weird because I'm the kinda guy who says rooting for a player is all about the shirt :P).
Which one? Most people seem to not be a fan of Ballantyne or Crowley (who's with the Dons now).

Which one? Most people seem to not be a fan of Ballantyne or Crowley (who's with the Dons now).
Ballantyne is the name. I wish I could say more about him but 9/10 of it would break the AUP.

It sucks that I share the same birthday with him too :(.

So Sydney vs Collingwood, I feel so sorry for the Pies after that crushing defeat :lol:
Good thing about that match (for me) is that Freo won't be on the bottom of the ladder after round one :lol::P

An interesting first round, not that much can be read into it.

Good thing about that match (for me) is that Freo won't be on the bottom of the ladder after round one :lol::P

As a Carlton supporter, I have two words for my club:

GOAL PRACTICE

You can have a club bulging with the best players to ever pull on shorts & run out on the paddock but, that amounts to nothing if no one can kick the pigskin through the big sticks.
Having said that, our fans can take comfort in some other really encouraging signs from our opening game.

Actually, Collingwood are placed higher than Fremantle, the PF-PA difference is bigger for BD/FD than SS/CM

Actually, Collingwood are placed higher than Fremantle, the PF-PA difference is bigger for BD/FD than SS/CM
The points for/against difference is bigger in the Collingwood/Sydney match (Pies lost by 80pts) then the Freo/Bulldogs match (Freo lost by 65pts).

I forgot it was percentage, not the actual difference :(
That sucks...

Back