AI Breakout

• Thread starter wfooshee
  • 5 comments

wfooshee

Rather ride my FJR
Premium
United States
Panama City, FL
So I dig out my GT2, never having really done anything with it once GT3 came out. I was about 60%, all golds, then gave it up for the superior graphics of GT3 on the PS2. Now that I've done GT3, GT4, and TT, (all gold, 100%) I decided to dust off GT2. All I had left were the manufacturer events and 3 endurance races.

Did 100 miles at Seattle tonight, and a couple of really really weird things happened. One AI got stuck in his pit for several laps. One AI got stuck against the rail just after the chicane onto the front straight. He had his tail to the wall, and was there the last 12 or 15 laps of the race. Finally, another AI got outside the course! On lap 29 or 30, he was backed into the rail just past the hairpin at the end of the front straight, was there for 2 or 3 laps, then he was gone, but his green dot was still on the map. After a few laps I saw that the dot was creeping north away from the track. It moved very slowly north, roughly parallel to the jumping hill straight, and by the end of the race was about the length of that straight off to the north. At the end of the race I was 22 laps ahead of both of those cars.

I've heard of people breaking out, I've done it myself several places in GT3, but I've not seen anyone talking about an AI breakout, so is this new? I find it hard to believe that something in an 8 year old game would happen to me first, but I've not heard of or seen any discussion on this. I saved the replay, but have no way to upload it. (I have a Sharkport, but my new slimline PS2 won't load its disc, and I don't know if it reads PSone memory cards anyway.) I'm in the process of putting the replay onto videotape just for fun.

i have seen it too not as mush as yours but one car just got out of the track and started hanging around there till the end of the race i can't remember at all though been ages but was in rome i think

I haven't heard or seen anything about an Ai breakout. But I don't doubt your story either. I believe just about anything within the confines of GT2 is certainly possible, it has a lot of quirks for sure.

Last edited:
When I used a GameShark to do enduroes at different tracks, the AI definitely got stuck at many points. I think they had real trouble figuring out where the pit entrance for Rome Night was, and I think may have got stuck actually in the wall there. Similarly at Grindelwald.

I don't recall cars ever totally disappearing and wandering away from the track. However, I definitely believe it could happen.

I only see weird things with the Ai when I ad parts to them, Atleast 2 of them will never show up at the end of a race if you over hybrid them.

So I dig out my GT2, never having really done anything with it once GT3 came out. I was about 60%, all golds, then gave it up for the superior graphics of GT3 on the PS2. Now that I've done GT3, GT4, and TT, (all gold, 100%) I decided to dust off GT2. All I had left were the manufacturer events and 3 endurance races.

Did 100 miles at Seattle tonight, and a couple of really really weird things happened. One AI got stuck in his pit for several laps. One AI got stuck against the rail just after the chicane onto the front straight. He had his tail to the wall, and was there the last 12 or 15 laps of the race. Finally, another AI got outside the course! On lap 29 or 30, he was backed into the rail just past the hairpin at the end of the front straight, was there for 2 or 3 laps, then he was gone, but his green dot was still on the map. After a few laps I saw that the dot was creeping north away from the track. It moved very slowly north, roughly parallel to the jumping hill straight, and by the end of the race was about the length of that straight off to the north. At the end of the race I was 22 laps ahead of both of those cars.

I've heard of people breaking out, I've done it myself several places in GT3, but I've not seen anyone talking about an AI breakout, so is this new? I find it hard to believe that something in an 8 year old game would happen to me first, but I've not heard of or seen any discussion on this. I saved the replay, but have no way to upload it. (I have a Sharkport, but my new slimline PS2 won't load its disc, and I don't know if it reads PSone memory cards anyway.) I'm in the process of putting the replay onto videotape just for fun.
Could you tell me what was the car was, and were it broke out. And how did he brake out?

Back