AI Cars Modified?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
redrabbitman
Apologies if this question has already been asked/answered, but does anyone know if the AI cars on GT2 ever use modifications/performance upgrades?
The only reason I ask is that there are many events where the AI cars (if stock) are WAY under the hp limit and seem to be a lot faster/harder to beat they should if stock (either that or maybe I'm just not very good)
Many thanks

So each car model would use a different multiplier for each event (or each different power limit) (say the R33 skyline will always double it's power for <690hp events)?
Also, it wasn't in the GT2 codes topic (there was only 1 post about something else, hybrids possibly), but I'll try to look for it
Thanks anyway for making me feel less rubbish on GT2 :)

Indeed. As far as I know, the power limit can be set arbitrarily, and AI cars are tuned accordingly. If you go to the Event Synthesizer and then go to engine parts in settings menu before the race, you'll see generated power limit, which is commonly exceeds your car's power by couple hp. This system in particular implies that some cars are actually faster than same cars fully tuned by player. (for example, Nismo 270R and TRD2000GT are ridiculously quick in the straights sometimes). But strangely enough some cars always have fixed performance, for example Jag XJ220 and Lister Storm from All Stars - they seem to run like they have stock engines.
Also, there is an upper limit of possible power. I sometimes go racing with hybrids which do have sensible amount of power (so competition is still fair), but because of hybriding game sometimes thinks that these cars have about several thousand hp. So I could expect to race with like 3000 hp monsters, but I just get the fastest, but still usual AI cars: stock Elise GT1, Jag XJ220, Mine's Evo, bunch of tuned Skylines and so on.

Also I read somewhere around here that GT2's rubberbanding is actually just changing the power multiplier "on the fly", during the race. This can be illustrated if you take a fairly fast car (like Toyota GT1) to an All Stars race - you'll see, that some cars fall behind not as far, as some other cars; however if you spinout, or just take slower car to the same field, you'll see that the relative intervals between cars in the field change. In other words, some AI cars try to keep up with you harder than the others :)

Besides the power multiplier, there is a gear multiplier - the one that makes that Evo go over 330 km/h on Test Course; also AI use different tires. For example, in Sunday Cup everyone runs on Normals (surprise!), but in NA or Turbo Cup AI uses hard slicks; in GT300 or All Stars AI wears supersoft slicks.
However, I am not sure about the suspension upgrades in AI cars - basically the only way to judge is by body roll in replays, which is not accurate enough.

Same thing with GT1. I was doing the Top Speed event (or something like that) event yesterday with a Viper GTS-R and I was going 380kph. The opposition was a bunch of Skylines, Supras, Soarers, EVO´s, etc... I was jaw dropped to see them keeping up with me... Reminding I was doing 380kph on average...

I should also add that there are some events that don't seem to use any rubberbanding at all. The good examples are GT300 and 3rd race in the NA cup - they can be incredibly challenging if you use even slightly underdog-ish car. On the other hand, there is Event Generator and (to the less degree) All Stars, which allow you to take your new 700 hp GT-R or whatever and not to feel too lonely on the track.
There are also differences in AI skill level - some of them are really good and sometimes can carry impressive amount of speed through corners successfully, and some of them spin at the Corkscrew, understeer into walls, take silly lines at chicanes and generally derp around.
This variety is another reason why GT2 is so awesome.

Edit: By the way, sometimes gear multiplier does weird things. I sometimes have 2 Mines's Evos in the field, and one of them tops out at 230-ish km/h (like stock one), and the other's acceleration seems eternal. I'm not sure what is this about and how does the game choose the setup for trannys, but it brings another bit of fun.

Last edited:
Back