AI engine failures yes they happen

Finland
Finland
I have a 1988 F1 season going on. I use cars that have separate /data folder and engine.ini.

For competitive sakes I have removed the cockpit adjustable turbo (as it was too easy to overtake with the boost button)

All cars got the same settings. I use different boost settings on engine_qual.ini so the qualifying times are 5-6 seconds faster.

Engine.ini:

[TURBO_0]
LAG_DN=0.996 ; Interpolation lag used slowing down the turbo
LAG_UP=0.995 ; Interpolation lag used to spin up the turbo
MAX_BOOST=2.3 ; Maximum boost generated. This value is never exceeded and multiply the torque like T=T*(1.0 + boost), so a boost of 2 will give you 3 times the torque at a given rpm.
WASTEGATE=2.3 ; Max level of boost before the wastegate does its things. 0 = no wastegate
DISPLAY_MAX_BOOST=2.3 ; Value used by display apps
REFERENCE_RPM=8600 ; The reference rpm where the turbo reaches maximum boost (at max gas pedal).
GAMMA=3.1
COCKPIT_ADJUSTABLE=0

[TURBO_1]
LAG_DN=0.996 ; Interpolation lag used slowing down the turbo
LAG_UP=0.995 ; Interpolation lag used to spin up the turbo
MAX_BOOST=2.3 ; Maximum boost generated. This value is never exceeded and multiply the torque like T=T*(1.0 + boost), so a boost of 2 will give you 3 times the torque at a given rpm.
WASTEGATE=2.3 ; Max level of boost before the wastegate does its things. 0 = no wastegate
DISPLAY_MAX_BOOST=2.3 ; Value used by display apps
REFERENCE_RPM=8600 ; The reference rpm where the turbo reaches maximum boost (at max gas pedal).
GAMMA=3.1
COCKPIT_ADJUSTABLE=0

[DAMAGE]
TURBO_BOOST_THRESHOLD=3.8 ; level of TOTAL boost before the engine starts to take damage
TURBO_DAMAGE_K=5 ; amount of damage per second per (boost - threshold)
RPM_THRESHOLD=13600 ; RPM at which the engine starts to take damage
RPM_DAMAGE_K=0.05 ; amount of damage per second per (rpm-threshold)

So far the season has been absolutely fantastic. I play with Prost and I constantly get beaten by Senna by 0.5-1 seconds in qualifying but manage to be competitive on most tracks. You see this was the 1988 season when McLaren's were utterly superior.

But about the engine failures: Nakajima (ai) got one at Paul Ricard. Senna (ai) got one at Imola and I was gifted an easy win. Check this video. At 5:16 Senna (AI) engine/turbo explodes and I got the 1st place.

However... my engine blew too later and Alboreto took the win. Check 5:55 onwards.

I also got an engine failure at Spa in the next race while Senna's engine lasted just fine.

Ai engine failures could create a lot of possibilities to create the early Turbo era seasons accurately. For example in 1982 only Prost took more than 1 win. All turbo cars failed constantly and Keke Rosberg won the WDC with slow, but reliable Williams Cosworth. Piquet was utterly superior in 1984 but his Brabham/BMW suffered from numerous engine failures. Also the late 70's and 80 season Jabouille, Arnoux and Prost were super fast on Renaults but their engines failed on almost every race.

I'm not a modder. I have no idea about creating cars and such. But I've noticed that not all cars have the separate, adjustable /data folders. But the ones that have, it seems to be possible to increase the realism with proper tweaks.

Open the video on Youtube and make sure you have the subtitles set "on".

Last edited:
This is pretty cool!

For the cars that don't have a data folder, if you go in CM > Content > Cars and select the car, there should be a button on the bottom that says "unpack data" - this will create a data folder. Just remember to rename data.acd to something else, because AC won't read the folder data if there is a data.acd present. I usually just rename it to data.acd-ORIGINAL in case I need it.

The total of both turbos boost is 4.6. The damage threshold is set to 3.8 so everyone's engine is taking damage. Depending on the length of races you do, all the cars will fail eventually.

Back