AI I came across in GT6, that was pretty good

  • Thread starter Thread starter MattZR1
  • 22 comments
  • 2,331 views
Messages
932
United States
Peoria, AZ, USA
Messages
MattZR1_81
So I know in GT6 the AI seems to be the same on rails approach, but I ran into a decent battle with the AI on Mt. Panorama last night. Running a SRT Charger and was on the last lap of 3 coming up that first straight after the start/finish line. I was going after first, but the AI in the Lotus Espirit V8 which was 2nd at the time I was in third, felt otherwise. As I try to overtake him on the left, he swerves to block me. I try the same thing on the right and same thing happens. I eventually got by him to catch first, but it kind of caught me off guard with how aggressive the AI was acting.

Has anyone run into AI like this that wasn't too bad and a bit refreshing compared to what we normally deal with?
 
It wasn't a good race, he just drove like an idiot in the perfect timing to make it seem like a good race. Sorry. Even if they wouldn't drive like idiots, they are on rails and they do have super brakes, and they also use boost significantly.
 
Seems you caught that one off guard - what I've noticed is that they do swerve from one side of the road to the other to let you pass... If you are coming up behind one they often pull off the racing line initially to give you room to pass and if you are too slow to make the move then they will move back onto the racing line. 9 times out of 10 if you have pulled along side they will stay off line but every now and then they will barge into you trying to get back on the racing line.
This is certainly different to GT5 and whilst still 'on rails' it's a different set of rails. ;)
 
They are on rails with some randomness. If there are several AI in front of you then they usually spread across width of road to block you. If they are behind you then usually they behave like train (i.e. behind each other). If you somehow slow on the turn or curve then AI blatantly ram you like there is empty place instead of you.

All in all, AI in GT6 are just mobile chicanes. They are dumb, they slow on turns but they use hidden boosters on straights and they "live" in parallel universe where you aren't exist.
 
I'm pretty sure they do block. After starting a race at Monza, I came up on a Countach at high speed, and he swerved in front of me causing me to smash into him. I restarted the race, and passed him on the other side, but he swerved the other direction, also wiping me out again.

I wouldn't call this good AI. If people do that to me online, I leave that lobby and find one where people know how to drive.
 
In GT6 the AI are definitely less 'on rails' as they were in GT5... I've seen them battle each other quite a few times, some times even causing crashes or one of them got send in to the gravel, didn't matter if they were in front of me or behind me.

They seem to be able to overtake each other much better, while the real battles like I described above is usually limited to a x amount of cars directly in front or behind you.

In GT5 I once had a Peugeot one make race (normal road cars) and the game decided to throw in a Audi LMP car... It of course got away at the start not to be seen again, but when it arrived at the back of the field, it stayed 'on rails' and didn't pass any cars... It probably could have passed the entire field again in a single straight...
 
Hey, my fellow semantic fanatics, does anyone have any video evidence of Nitrous being used by the AI. Okay, thanks. 'Bye now.
 
Last edited:
They are on rails with some randomness. .................../quote]

Pretty much says it all. Much like the perfect race run over and over . . . and then the unexpected tree gets in the way.
 
The AI in the super GT events and GT3 events are pretty aggressive. I do those in a normal production cars on sports tyres and that can be quite fun.
 
I've had some nice battles in many races in I-B and above, using a lesser car to make it more of a challenge. Like Ghost above, I particularly like those three series, though I stick with the cars suited to the series. The one caveat is that in most races, the leaders do let you win, but a few of them are nifty battles to the finish. These bots look promising, though the real challenge still seem to be the Pro bots in Arcade.
 
I've had a couple of "decent" scurmishes in IA so far... GT300 and 500 have been kind of fun running cars with power limiter at 85% or so.

The best thing I've found is in the upper classes where some of the cars don't slam on the brakes multiple times in the middle of a turn or on corner exit just after starting to accel. That is probably the number one thing that drives me crazy is braking on exit and then rocket boosting after that.
 
I've had some nice battles in many races in I-B and above, using a lesser car to make it more of a challenge. Like Ghost above, I particularly like those three series, though I stick with the cars suited to the series. The one caveat is that in most races, the leaders do let you win, but a few of them are nifty battles to the finish. These bots look promising, though the real challenge still seem to be the Pro bots in Arcade.
You're probably on stickier tires than them. Particularly with supercars, they like to run RH.

I heard hints before that you like the new AI, and I'm interested to hear what about it you like.

They are on rails with some randomness. If there are several AI in front of you then they usually spread across width of road to block you. If they are behind you then usually they behave like train (i.e. behind each other). If you somehow slow on the turn or curve then AI blatantly ram you like there is empty place instead of you.

All in all, AI in GT6 are just mobile chicanes. They are dumb, they slow on turns but they use hidden boosters on straights and they "live" in parallel universe where you aren't exist.
This is a perfect description of the AI in GT6 IMO.
 
Speaking of boost(Nitrous)...Does anyone have any video evidence of Nitrous being used by the AI?
That's not what they meant, they meant boost like online.
 
I've obviously been bumped out of a turn by the AI before trying to pass on the outside, something I've experienced first hand on a real track. What I've found is that if you tune the car down for the AI, and not to the event maximums, the AI gives me an enjoyable no contact race. I don't really know why the AI is so slow, as it is punishing in other arcade racing titles. PD must understand by now that GT devotees need more of a challenge than the current AI can provide, and I hope they will tweak it in an update. If they were able to incorporate some form of dynamic AI, that could adapt to your driving style.
 
I heard hints before that you like the new AI, and I'm interested to hear what about it you like.
It would be simpler to tell you what I don't like. Creeping and overbraking in turns. Nudging or ramming you off the road, though that does happen in real life racing. Bots that give up if you get a one second lead on them. Leader cars that let you catch up and win. I don't like that.

But I like just about everything else. They cut me off like online players. They often respond to my horn and flashers, or when I nudge into their "field of view." They battle me when I pass them, trying to get their place back. They even battle each other. Each race is different, more different than in GT5. I haven't found this in the previous gen of PC racers, or most console race games. In fact, the only bots remotely like them is in Forza, and they're more violent.

If they were able to incorporate some form of dynamic AI, that could adapt to your driving style.
That is pretty much what we have now, except that the bots often let you win. ;)

But I know what you mean. If they could tweak the bots so they don't "let" you win, that would be enough for many of us.
 
It wasn't a good race, he just drove like an idiot in the perfect timing to make it seem like a good race. Sorry. Even if they wouldn't drive like idiots, they are on rails and they do have super brakes, and they also use boost significantly.
What are super brakes. I outbrake the AI every time.
They really ought to have difficulty options for AI. Such as Beginner, Intermediate, Expert.
 
What are super brakes. I outbrake the AI every time.
They really ought to have difficulty options for AI. Such as Beginner, Intermediate, Expert.
Probably referring to the fact that you can ram the AI in the rear going 150 mph into a turn and immediately slow to their speed and make the turn at 45 mph...and the AI car isn't effected at all. I've noticed this mostly in the X2014 Junior events..
 
^ There are a handful of annoying qualities about the new physics, and this is one of them. Sometimes, collisions with the bots are fairly realistic, sometimes, they're as immovable as ever.
 
^ There are a handful of annoying qualities about the new physics, and this is one of them. Sometimes, collisions with the bots are fairly realistic, sometimes, they're as immovable as ever.
I haven't encountered a time where they actually really moved. I would argue they're less moveable than ever. In previous GT titles, if you rammed the AI at full speed, they would fly off the track, now they just grind across the pavement a few extra feet.

It would be simpler to tell you what I don't like. Creeping and overbraking in turns. Nudging or ramming you off the road, though that does happen in real life racing. Bots that give up if you get a one second lead on them. Leader cars that let you catch up and win. I don't like that.

But I like just about everything else. They cut me off like online players. They often respond to my horn and flashers, or when I nudge into their "field of view." They battle me when I pass them, trying to get their place back. They even battle each other. Each race is different, more different than in GT5. I haven't found this in the previous gen of PC racers, or most console race games. In fact, the only bots remotely like them is in Forza, and they're more violent.


That is pretty much what we have now, except that the bots often let you win. ;)

But I know what you mean. If they could tweak the bots so they don't "let" you win, that would be enough for many of us.
If you race against the AI, in the same car, on the same tires, they're good?
Or if you race against the AI, in a handicapped car, or with a severe tire handicap, then they're good?

Personally, I can't trail the AI into a corner without hitting their backside 50% of the time, if we're in comparable cars on comparable tires. that's if I'm trying to avoid them, which I usually am. (In GT6, they will park it if you drive into their rear and don't lift, I've spun out already by doing burnouts against the bumper of the immovable AI, usually below 40mph in 60-70mph corners)
 
Doing the 550pp Touring car championship today I just barely nudged an AI car under braking into a corner and it overshot the corner and spun out on the grass yet I completely messed up another corner later on trying to hit the pause button on my G27 so I could answer the phone and rammed an AI car hard and it barely noticed. Those two incidents are completely at odds with each other. Also I was using a car I hadn't driven before and was being a little cautious with it exiting corners until I found it limits and got retaken a couple of times by AI I had previously passed - they definitely do not give up once you pass them - maybe once you get a certain distance ahead they stop pushing to stay with you and settle back into their routine.
The AI do show flashes of promise but overall are just too inconsistant in their response to similar situations (which possibly makes them more human like :lol:).
At any rate the AI is probably about as good as it can get with the use of the rolling starts from the back of the field - if it was really good we would never win a race without using a massively overpowered car because if the rabbits could actually race and not give up and everything in between made us really fight for the positions we couldn't catch them.
If we want good AI we really need qualifying and standing starts to go with it.
 
I got quite a lot of enjoyment out of the last round of Night Masters (at Nurburgring 24H layout). The stock Amuse 380RS Super Leggera I used was very well balanced with the opponents, all of which use tuned cars (HPA TT, Nismo 400R, Amuse S2000, AEM S2000, among others).

Importantly, the AI cars remained quite closely packed throughout the race, leading to a fair amount of jostling for position (the races get boring when the AI spreads out and it becomes a chase the rabbit + procession scenario).

I think I finished 3rd overall, with 1st and 2nd places being a little too far ahead for a truly competitive race (a trend I've noticed in GT6, where some races seemingly have two rabbit AI cars).
 
I was racing on Silverstone driving a BMW M3 GT3 in Arcade Mode and had quite a wonderful battle with a Lexus IS F Touring Car until I spun out in an effort to make it end prematurely on purpose.
 
Back