AI Physics Bug

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 1' started by station rz, May 1, 2019.

1. station rz

station rz

Hey!

I've always wondered why some cars show the strange behavior showed in this video: . They shake and they often stop accelerating.

There are other cars to in different competitions ( R Nsx TypeS; R Lantis; R Celica; R Griffith).

Any clue?

2. submaniac93

submaniac93

Exact reason is not known but I assume the suspension stiffness, dampers and stabilizers on those cars are too hard. Either that or it's a bug deeper into the physics system.

3. station rz

station rz

Yes, it's because of their setup. I tried different suspension and stabilizer setups and I got the same behavior (in the video below) after a few tries. Thanks :)

4. LittleSpike

LittleSpike

For some reason that happens if the damper levels are set too high. You can recreate that with the Griffith in particular just by setting the damper up from 4 to 7. I think it has to do with the car being light enough; Once when I was doing a prize car-only run, I fully modified a Demio A-spec to use in the Lightweight Cup and I had to lower the damper all the way down to 1 just to make it stop shaking like that.

5. submaniac93

submaniac93

Weight does exponentially increase the chances of that happening the lower it is. It's almost impossible to make it happen on a DB7 for example

6. Kingofweasles

Kingofweasles

Yeah, even when you RM that car in GT1 it is heavy enough over bumps that it doesn't do the "Moon Launch" when going over curbs or the on-power "Shake that lighter cars showcase in the replays.

I feel like it's more noticeable on cars that are under 2,000 lbs though, but obviously there are users here on GTP that have far more knowledge of this games physics engine than I... I'll let them explain it.