AI Pit-Lane Glitch

• Thread starter Mubble
  • 17 comments
Not sure if this has been discused before, but something strange happened during a custom AI race earlier.

I'm in 3rd place and P1 and P2 cars pit in front of me just as I pass the pit entrance. 'Great!' I'm thinking, 1st place here I come.
Imagine my surprise as I reach the end of the straight only to see the P1 car pull out of the pits ahead of me!

I recorded the replay, below.

At first I pause the replay at the point the AI cars 'disappear' in to the pits. You can see I should easily overtake them with a healthy lead. However, P1 beats me out of the pits!

I then rewind the replay and jump into P1 car driven by the AI. You'll notice that at the point it enters the pit entrance, the bridge over the start/finish line is much further down the track. It then jumps to the cut-scene with the mechanics and the car is instantly down by the bridge. Once the cut-scene ends, the car is instantly at the end of the pit straight.

Hardly seems fair.

Last edited:
Just let the whole scene play

That's how the pit stop works in GTS. That's also how you pit. How manu seconds behind were you from first? Pit stops usually take 10-20 seconds depending on track, and Maggiore on the shorter side of the scale because of its relatively short pit lane

Just let the whole scene play

That's how the pit stop works in GTS. That's also how you pit. How manu seconds behind were you from first? Pit stops usually take 10-20 seconds depending on track, and Maggiore on the shorter side of the scale because of its relatively short pit lane

I was about 4 seconds behind as he entered the pit. Came out under a second behind. His whole pitstop from entering the pit lane to exiting took just over 8 seconds.

I was about 4 seconds behind as he entered the pit. Came out under a second behind. His whole pitstop from entering the pit lane to exiting took just over 8 seconds.
Well that's odd indeed, pit stops shouldn't take that short even without tires and refueling

It looks like he did a splash and dash.

With that said, he still should not have come out ahead like that due to pit lane speed versus your speed down the straight.

Oh wow, nice catch.. yeah that for sure shows the flaw in the car "disappearing/re-appearing" route that PD went with for pitstops. That is incredibly unfair. I really wish they kept the pitstops in real time and didn't use those 'fancy' cutscenes

You should have showed whether or not did the AI car change tyres and top up the fuel.

Yeah, that I don't know. It was a 10 lap race with 5x fuel usage set. I had to pit for an additional 3 laps of fuel on lap 7, so I'd imagine the AI had to add some fuel too.

You should have showed whether or not did the AI car change tyres and top up the fuel.

Around :38 in the video they show the perspective of the pitting car. It just does a splash and go but there is no way if that pit stop was real time would it be able to pit in and come out ahead of the person still racing on the track who is just seconds behind as they went into the pits. The car disappears and gets warped to the front of the pit lane way too fast. It's a really crummy way of simulating pitstops.

I'm not sure it's necessarily an AI pit glitch, but there is certainly a difference in pit times comparing Custom Races to online Races.

If I use a Custom Race as practice for an online race (mainly lobby) with fuel and tyre deg., the out-lap time in the Custom Race is always faster by 2 or 3 seconds.
So there is something that isn't accounted for in a Custom Race pitstop that is in an online race.

I haven't bothered to investigate exactly what it is, but it's a consistent thing that I account for when comparing race times with multiple pitstops in the two different modes.

Yeah phrasing it as a glitch might not be the correct phrasing but the way PD chose to 'simulate' a pitstop leaves a ton to be desired. Having a car disappear instantly and get warped to the front of the pitstop after the fueling/tire changing is done is really shown to be a terrible design choice in that video. Really wish PD had chosen to actually keep the cars in the pits in real time so this wouldn't happen.

Yeah phrasing it as a glitch might not be the correct phrasing but the way PD chose to 'simulate' a pitstop leaves a ton to be desired. Having a car disappear instantly and get warped to the front of the pitstop after the fueling/tire changing is done is really shown to be a terrible design choice in that video. Really wish PD had chosen to actually keep the cars in the pits in real time so this wouldn't happen.
I'm probably wrong, but my guess is that PD did it this way to allow for fair/equal pit lane travel time for all players, without having to watch 10 cars ghosting in and out of each other as they all entered and exited pitboxes.

I'm fairly convinced that pit lane travel time is accounted for and accurate in online races.
But from what I've noticed (since I first spotted it, and on the tracks I've tested on since) this isn't the case in Custom Races.
And my point really was that it isn't an AI issue alone, more something that's inherent for both AI and player in this mode.

Maybe the powers that be think this adds to the challenge of the game. Like the rubber band AI.
If that's the case, then these kinds of stops would be commonplace on custom races and not just a one-off thing. The fact that only one player spotted it so far is a bit odd if this is intentional

Back