AI too fast for me in Indy cars around IndianapolisPS4 

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 15 comments
Canada
Oak Bay, NB, Canada
Bic44
I'm just writing this post out of sheer frustration. I've practiced, qualified (pole position) and started the race. Many, many times. I've probably put in 300-400 laps by now, maybe more. This biggest issue is the start. The AI takes off like a bat out of hell, tire temperature be damned. Right off the line I'm in 5th place....thats a straight where I supposedly have pole position.

Then the fun and mayhem starts. Trying to hold my line around the first few laps without ending up in 12th place is almost inpossible. The car wants to break loose. By about the 4th or 5th lap I'm up to speed. But the leaders are gone. A good half a lap ahead, running 42 seconds/lap by lap 2. I can get down to high 41s (without drafting)but if you account for pit stops where this process starts all over, it isn't enough.

I can put a little more downforce, but even if I get my car up to speed and don't fall back as far, I'm not fast enough to catch them. I got frustrated enough to put the difficulty down to 50.....but apparently that does absolutely nothing. Same times, not much I can do. I've tried different tunes, making my own and fast times from other users.

I'd really appreciate any advice. It just seems impossible at this point. And for the record, I can beat them around other tracks. But I'm planning to go after the 'milk man' trophy, which is winning the full (200 laps) Indy 500

I have completed this one, and here is my advice. First, it's 200 laps race, and believe me, only few from full grid will make it. I don't remember exact numbers, but have posted here. Half of the grid will kill each other in the process. Second, is keep calm and do not risk, there is a turn, into finish line, when AI goes slow no matter difficulty, it is both your advantage point, and point to loose everything, because there will be big crashes. Third, try different strategy, I remember having less pit stops than AI, at whole race, also you can save on tires changes and damages recovery. Turn off mechanicals errors and pit errors, or else there is 50 percent chance to have a pit worth 10 minutes, for nothing. Last and probably most useless, have used default loose set up.

I have completed this one, and here is my advice. First, it's 200 laps race, and believe me, only few from full grid will make it. I don't remember exact numbers, but have posted here. Half of the grid will kill each other in the process. Second, is keep calm and do not risk, there is a turn, into finish line, when AI goes slow no matter difficulty, it is both your advantage point, and point to loose everything, because there will be big crashes. Third, try different strategy, I remember having less pit stops than AI, at whole race, also you can save on tires changes and damages recovery. Turn off mechanicals errors and pit errors, or else there is 50 percent chance to have a pit worth 10 minutes, for nothing. Last and probably most useless, have used default loose set up.
Thank you so much! I appreciate it. I am probably going to need a pretty stable tune for the 200 laps, especially if damage is on

That's probably the issue. If the PS4 suffers like the Xbox with the high AI bug then that could explain the wayward handling when it didn't happen in qualifying.
Is it a career mode or custom race?

That's probably the issue. If the PS4 suffers like the Xbox with the high AI bug then that could explain the wayward handling when it didn't happen in qualifying.
Is it a career mode or custom race?
Career mode. The handling is perfectly reasonable for me, it takes time to warm tires up. But for the AI, they just take off right away. Even their gearing must be different (didn't think they tuned below 80 difficulty) because I'm either bouncing off the rev limiter once the green flag comes down, or not high enough in second gear to keep up. So it's both handling and speed disadvantage

Maybe not the dreaded handling bug. Not sure what to suggest there, apart from lowering the AI. What happens if you just lower the aggression?

Maybe not the dreaded handling bug. Not sure what to suggest there, apart from lowering the AI. What happens if you just lower the aggression?
I did that, down to 35 or something. I tried a short race with them on 10 difficulty, but jamming brakes on going into one of those corners is NOT ideal haha. As someone stated earlier, he found the AI started to drop out. So I could just put in solid laps and see what happens. On the other hand I may end up cheesing it to get the trophy, but that just feels so wrong (apparently you can use a Formula X)

Last edited:
Haha, yeah use a Formula X, no downforce, tall gears. If you use kers it'll top out at 260mph!!
Until it runs out.
Or at least does at Vintage Le Mans

I have always struggled more with me open wheel cars and this game.

Formula A actually was a blast for me, they felt very different and enjoyable to any other open wheeler. Indie cars very specific, to drive them well, I guess, you really need to understand more of the specific, unlike for Formula A, where you need to know only their optimal tires pressure and breaks temperature to start to enjoy.

Have to agree, I can't drive any other open wheelers well:).

Back