Air Driving

• Thread starter zorrofox
  • 3 comments
Scotland
Provence
Hi folks. I use the motion sensor method of steering using my DS4. I was immediately better when switching from the stick. Perhaps not always faster but definitely smoother. The only downsides I've found is that it's physically quite difficult to do for multiple laps and it's quite easy to lose the plot and almost tip off my chair. It looks faintly ridiculous.

Last night I was reading a thread where people were comparing their controller settings. I was jealous of all the options for stick users as I knew there were no options for people like me using the six-axis method.

Except there is. One.

Controller Steering Sensitivity
. It was set by default (I assume) at 0 which must be direct. The weird thing is the scale which goes from -2 to +7. Even weirder is that there is a centre detent marker but it's at exactly 2.5, a number which can't actually be dialled in.

Anyway, I bumped it up from 0 to +4 and the difference is remarkable. I can catch snap oversteer immediately. In fact I can even hang the tail out and still be stable. That's a first.

I just wanted to let people know that the six-axis method isn't a one-size-fits-all solution and that there's room for some calibration.

I'd really like to know why the scale is as it is though because I can't see the sense of it personally.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. All opinions and thoughts are always welcome.

Gordon.

Last edited:
It's very interesting that the Controller Steering Sensitivity option works for the DS4's motion control as well as the stick. I never knew that...

👍

I'm now using the maximum sensitivity of +7 and it's amazing. I've saved 2 seconds on a lap of the Red Bull Ring. I can take the traction control down to 1 in Gr3 (previously I was only comfortable at 2). In Gr4 I can do without TC altogether. Result!

Interestingly, that setting is abolute pants for road cars. For those you need close to zero and for the old US barges even -2. It all makes sense once you try that. Using a race car setting for the old Camaro means you hit the limits of the suspension almost instantly whereas, if you dial the sensitivity way down, it feels as though your steering and the cars suspension are more in harmony.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Back