Airbag Shrapnel Recalls

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 9 comments

Danoff

Premium
United States
Mile High City
BMW recalled my passenger airbag for having shrapnel in it that can be explosively launched at your head. Then, about a year later, they recalled the driver's side airbag for the same reason. I waited about 2 years for parts for that. So I drove my BMW for approximately 6 years with shrapnel engineered to be explosively directed straight at my head.

Today I received a shrapnel recall for the passenger airbag in my infiniti FX. I bought this car 7 years ago, they tell me someone should probably not be sitting in the passenger seat until they have parts to fix it... uh... what about the last 9 years this car has been on the road?

Airbags are great and all, but some politicians decided that they should be forced to exist on all cars, so I don't have a choice but to drive around a car with explosive shrapnel aimed at my face.

Ok, so 2 out of 3 of my cars have shrapnel bombs in them. Do any of yours?

My pickup never had a real for it but I disconnected the airbag anyway.

GM sent out a TSB for this to all us employees about two weeks ago affecting most of their lineup yet again, mostly for new models though.

The Takata recall has been going on for a long time now; surprised this is the first you've noticed it.

The pain staking part of the recall is the wait time. My friends' daughter's Honda was on the recall list and it sat for 6 months because of the wait time. They are supposed to cover you a rental vehicle in that time frame though. My Acura has not entered the list yet, but some previous years '04-'06 have been affected.

With work purposes, the recall ate a huge chunk of our pre-owned sales. We were forced to wholesale many cars bc of the wait time to get them fixed. I remember a clean, lightly used Shelby GT500 we got in that was wholesale bc it had a 3 month wait to fix. We are sadly strapped for room, so we can't afford to have so many cars waiting.

I had a recall completed on the passenger airbag in my 07 STI a couple of months ago as it could explode out too violently, I'd owned the car for a year and knew about it via the owners forum so actively sought out a place on the list in order to get it done as soon as possible as I'd heard dealers were only getting one airbag at a time.

What gets me though is that a couple of days later I received a letter from Subaru UK, dated the day before I had the work done, informing me of the recall and also stating that the whole process is being monitored by the DVLA. The DVLA could have told Subaru about the change of ownership when I registered myself as the new owner a year ago but that would be asking too much of government wouldn't it? Instead they chose to tell them after I had my MOT done almost a year after I actually purchased the car.

This is the issue with having one major part supplier.

When there is a global recall replacement parts are like hen teeth.

It will be on a first come first served with some groups(politicians vehicles, police, fire and paramedics) getting them first followed by dealership workers as they will know which model will be next on the recall list and they can book their can in first before you

But the government is not saying the only airbag supplier must be takata

That's not necessary for it to have that effect. All you need is a heavily regulated industry (like the automotive industry) and you'll have a reduced number of vendors that cater specifically to those regulations thereby creating themselves a niche.

Back