Airsoft Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 24 comments

Obelisk

Premium
United States
United States
RMedia_Obelisk
Hi everyone! I've noticed a disturbing lack of airsoft love on here, so I decided to do something about it.

This thread has two goals:

1. Dedicated discussion of airsoft gear and guns, with the strict exception of selling/buying gear from other GTPlanet members (legal reasons).
  2. Organize meet-ups for GTP airsofters if possible.
  3. Share battle stories! Airsofters like hearing about other people's games! Just don't harass or mock someone else.
Let me start by listing off what gear I have:

Umarex MP5A4
  • ZCI piston head (M-71)
  • SHS O-Ring nozzle
  • SHS Piston with 14.5 teeth
  • ZI V2/V3 Integration cylinder head
  • x3 Umarex MP5 Mid-cap
  • Tenergy 7.4 1200maH 20C
Game Face GF76 (Crosman Pulse R76 - nice try there
rolleyes.gif
)
  • Tenergy 7.4 1200maH 20C
  • x2 clear plastic hi-caps
Game Face GF529
  • NC STAR 1x25 Compact Red Dot Sight
Black Ops Wolverine (CO2 Pistol - non-blowback)

Elite Force Race Gun (Ironsights)

Umarex Walther P99 DAO

Classic Army M249 SAW
  • Madbull TBB 6.03
  • Maple Leaf bucking
  • nknown spring, but shoots around 360-370
  • SHS 14.5 Piston
  • SHS POM Piston head
  • Matrix Magnum gold torque motor
  • Unknown hardened Gears
  • O-ring Nozzle
  • Unknown brand cylinder.
  • Fuze cut out and wired to Deans
I currently have an 11.1 LiPo coming for the M249 because the 7.4s aren't strong enough.

I'll post a video of my active gear once I get the 249 up and running.

I had a Rat Catcher .177 when I was a kid. Used it to shot at dead cars in the local scrap year from my flat window.

Not sure if that's what you mean this thread to be for, but that's about the extend of my rifle ownership.

Had a G10 air soft pistol for a few months before it got confiscated because my mate shot the postman with it and the police took it in as evidence.

I had a Rat Catcher .177 when I was a kid. Used it to shot at dead cars in the local scrap year from my flat window.

Not sure if that's what you mean this thread to be for, but that's about the extend of my rifle ownership.

Had a G10 air soft pistol for a few months before it got confiscated because my mate shot the postman with it and the police took it in as evidence.
A .177 isn't an airsoft gun. It's an airgun, which is closer to a real firearm.

I haven't been a part of airsoft for at least 4-5 years since I started buying real guns..

Need to sell one of my pistols...

Why not get a KWA 1911?
because the majority of my friends have done the same, gone on and moved to buying real guns

I have quite a bit more fun with my K98 and Mosin than I think I would with an airsoft version of the two.

because the majority of my friends have done the same, gone on and moved to buying real guns

I have quite a bit more fun with my K98 and Mosin than I think I would with an airsoft version of the two.
To be fair, plinking and shooting ranges are a different experience than an airsoft event. You could go to a field, get a rental for a few hours and play! It's usually pretty cheap.

To be fair, plinking and shooting ranges are a different experience than an airsoft event. You could go to a field, get a rental for a few hours and play! It's usually pretty cheap.
I've done the whole gig many times, but you can't quite compare it to 3-750 yard ranges and hitting targets out there.

Sure it's fun, and with the right equipment I might get back into the sport, but I've spent enough money in that that I honestly wish I could've invested in a few other guns.

I've done the whole gig many times, but you can't quite compare it to 3-750 yard ranges and hitting targets out there.

Sure it's fun, and with the right equipment I might get back into the sport, but I've spent enough money in that that I honestly wish I could've invested in a few other guns.
Milsim events have those kinds of ranges involved. I've seen someone snipe another guy at about 400 meters on Youtube.

Bumping to update the thread.

So I'm going back to BattlegroundZ tomorrow with my dad for a few hours to play. After that, we're gonna order an ASG SAS-12 tri shot shotgun and a bunch of extra shells for it.

And you can see me in action in the below video at 0:01 and 3:34 (camo pants and MP5):

So my dad and I went on Sunday and played for a few hours and it was great! Both of us did well and I got praised by one of the other serious players over there as well as by one of the kids.

The SAS-12 is also on its way. I will post a video of unboxing the gun when it gets here.

I have an update. I just completed my P90 rebuild!
Things it needed were:
  1. New Hop-up assembly
  2. New upper
  3. New optic
Here's the before:
20170301_214959.jpg

Just finished:
IMG_20170329_232743.jpg

Not only is the sight picture elevated and easier to use, the gun is noticeably lighter.

If I was to get into this, where would I start? There's an arena just opposite the house I'm moving into at the weekend. I'm curious how much time it would take me to get going and if it's worth bothering with without friends (I don't have any).

If I was to get into this, where would I start? There's an arena just opposite the house I'm moving into at the weekend. I'm curious how much time it would take me to get going and if it's worth bothering with without friends (I don't have any).
It depends on if you rent or self-equip. Can you clarify a bit?
--
Generally speaking, start by going with rental gear (Most fields Stateside provide rentals for a slightly higher fee than self-equip) to get a hang of how Airsoft plays out so you don't waste money on guns you won't use.

Can I get the name of the arena? I can look into it for you.

Edit: Also, time and price wise, that's really up to what you buy. A good AEG of your picking, protective gear, battery, etc (the essentials) should take very little time if you have the money. I usually get my stuff a week or two after buying it.

Last edited:
It depends on if you rent or self-equip. Can you clarify a bit?
--
Generally speaking, start by going with rental gear (Most fields Stateside provide rentals for a slightly higher fee than self-equip) to get a hang of how Airsoft plays out so you don't waste money on guns you won't use.

Can I get the name of the arena? I can look into it for you.

Edit: Also, time and price wise, that's really up to what you buy. A good AEG of your picking, protective gear, battery, etc (the essentials) should take very little time if you have the money. I usually get my stuff a week or two after buying it.

I've no idea of the arena's name but a friend of mine went to look around once and said it looked pretty cool, apparently it's a small village set up.

I was thinking of going to have a look myself when I get time next week. If it's too expensive I won't bother but if it's reasonable I'll try renting a gun and see if it's something I enjoy. I was also told the ammunition is metal so I do wonder what kind of sport they're playing there.

the ammunition is metal
Airsoft is plastic BBs only. Be very cautious and ask a lot of questions. IMHO it sounds like airguns - not the same thing. An airgun is effectively a weapon chambered for .177, but low power. They're a lot more dangerous than the airsoft pellets.

DEFINITELY check about the ammo.

Airsoft is plastic BBs only. Be very cautious and ask a lot of questions. IMHO it sounds like airguns - not the same thing. An airgun is effectively a weapon chambered for .177, but low power. They're a lot more dangerous than the airsoft pellets.

DEFINITELY check about the ammo.

I've been shot with an airgun pellet and it tore a hole in my flesh. Hopefully they aren't using those to play war games.

I've been shot with an airgun pellet and it tore a hole in my flesh. Hopefully they aren't using those to play war games.
That's why you check. If it's an airgun field, just look around for a different one.

So, update!

I just nabbed some new gear.

G&G Firehawk + 4x 6mm Proshop M4 midcaps
IMG_20170725_233631.jpg

and the Elite Force H8R
IMG_20170725_233637.jpg

So let me share my thoughts on these.

Firehawk
It's marketed as a beginner's AEG but certainly doesn't perform like a beginner's gun. It shoots at 330 FPS and has a insane full-auto fire rate (somewhere close to 20 rounds a second). And since it's an M4 derivative, I can do all sorts of stuff to it if I wanted to. Ergonomics are fantastic, the weight is good and the gun is balanced. My only complaint, if anything, is putting a bipod or grip on the muzzle chews up the available grip space for my supporting hand.

H8R
Oh, she's a beaut. The H8R (hater) is a budget CO2 pistol ($64.95) and comes with five disks for BBs. It's single and double action so I can spam BBs if I get caught around a corner in DA mode. Single action is more a precision function, and you get slightly more consistent performance shooting SA quickly than DA (missed shots sometimes in DA). It's light and can be fired one-handed effectively. You could dual-wield them if you were crazy enough. And it reloads super quick thanks to the disc system. You just pop the old one out and put the new one in.

Long overdue update. No new gear, but I did get to go skirmish today.

Couple of things happened.

1. Decided to get dangerous in my second to last game and went in with only my Elite Force H8R. Came in with five loaded discs, left with two empty discs. To make a long story short, it was team deathmatch and I was pretty much sprinting to the frontlines. I nailed at least four players on the opposing team, if not more. All kills except one were resolved in a single shot.

2. Final game, attack/defend. I was running my tri-shot shotgun. I managed to get all the way into enemy territory right at the start of the game and hunkered down behind a wooden fence. No one saw me there so I started peeking through the cracks in the fence and noticed a guy in the small building doorway in front of me, so I waved at him from behind the fence. He immediately recoiled and trained his gun on where my hand just was, and then went back to shooting at my teammates. I then put my hand over the fence to waggle my finger at him and got the same reaction before I walked away. I went back a few seconds later to see if I baited him. He was still there, kinda frozen, so I put my face against the crack in the fence I used to peek,and then started sticking my finger into it towards him. He went running back towards his spawn.

And then I shot some guy from 55 feet away with the shotgun and got him.

3. Shot five guys in the face with the shotgun that same game.

4. Same game, yet again. Behind the fence is a small room with a hole in one wall that overlooks a majority of the opposing area, and someone was shooting into it to keep my team at bay from further back in the arena. I came up with an idea that I used for Call of Duty, so I got my teammate's attention and asked him to draw the guy's fire, and then crawled the length of the building so he wouldn't see me moving. As soon as I poked my head around the corner (still prone) he immediated snapped towards me and ducked under cover. Turns out it was the same guy I was screwing with earlier.

Oh, and I improvised this:

IMG_20171201_225719.jpg

Jungle mags ftw.

It gives me 280 BBs at once with a relatively short delay halfway through to flip them, and they're super quiet compared to the gun's normal hi-cap (300ish BBs).

My dad, brother, and I have a pretty decent amount of airsoft stuff. I'll need to take some pictures and upload them. I've got a JG AUG that's mostly stock with an AIM red dot that I painted tiger stripe camo. I also have an ASG CZ75 GBB that's good fun. I owned a P90 for a short stint, but I didn't like the gun very much. However, I'm a real sucker for bullpups, so I'm in the process of modifying an Ares M4 to be a bullpup gun. My only issue is I can't get my safety system figured out. I either have safety and full auto, or I just have full auto. I can't quite remember all the way. It's pretty stupid though. 13:1 gears, a SHS high torque, and an 11.1 lipo drive the fire rate up a bit. I'll get a video of it firing full auto, too.

My dad, brother, and I have a pretty decent amount of airsoft stuff. I'll need to take some pictures and upload them. I've got a JG AUG that's mostly stock with an AIM red dot that I painted tiger stripe camo. I also have an ASG CZ75 GBB that's good fun. I owned a P90 for a short stint, but I didn't like the gun very much. However, I'm a real sucker for bullpups, so I'm in the process of modifying an Ares M4 to be a bullpup gun. My only issue is I can't get my safety system figured out. I either have safety and full auto, or I just have full auto. I can't quite remember all the way. It's pretty stupid though. 13:1 gears, a SHS high torque, and an 11.1 lipo drive the fire rate up a bit. I'll get a video of it firing full auto, too.
What's the RPS on that ARES?

I haven't gotten my mags to feed it quickly enough to chrono it, but my goal was to be around 35.
Wow. I have an M249 that puts out 24 RPS. 35 is just crazy.

My Firehawk is probably around 980 RPM bone stock. Sounds a lot faster because of the built-in amplifier :lol:

Back