AI's flag nationality limited? - READ OP

Indonesia
Jakarta
Normalaatsra
For me personally (unpopular opinion), I'm excited about the small addition of the driver's nationality on AI drivers appearing in the racer standings in GT6. I'm the kind of person who is interested in world culture and nationalities, so seeing flags gives me a merry touch to racing in single player. The AI names also correlate to thier flags which makes it more perfect.

However after watching a lot of gameplay footages, I feel the usage of flags are very limited to certain nations. The flags already made by Polyphony Digital reflect the available PlayStation Network coverages in the world, so there could be more of these flags coming from very different countries in single player mode, but I don't know why this is excluded for AI drivers.

Some patterns I have noticed throughout the videos include:
  • Singapore is the only representative of Southeast Asian AI. Flags from this region that are already supported by PD include Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia, but those flags never appeared with AI drivers.
  • Among East Asian AI, Japan is obviously the more common flag to appear. However Taiwan's flag (due to policies, the flag only says "TW" on it) also appears as AI flags. I have not seen a South Korean or Hong Kong flag yet on AI.
  • No Middle Eastern national flags appear for AI drivers.
There are more out there but they are too large to fit. So here is a diagram of possible flags to appear with AI, which counts as PSN availabilty in the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Network#Availability

863px-PlayStation_Network_availability_map.svg.png

So why would it be limited? Is it due to the AI names reflecting the nationality? Did PD did not cover enough world names to feature an international driver list?

It might be that they take into account what countries develops most racers, and sets the chance at that. I can't say that I have heard of many drivers from Africa that races in international leagues (I'm not saying there isn't any, but fewer at least).

It might be that they take into account what countries develops most racers, and sets the chance at that. I can't say that I have heard of many drivers from Africa that races in international leagues (I'm not saying there isn't any, but fewer at least).

The only African flag available from PD is the flag of South Africa. Certainly there are real life South African racing drivers out there. I can't guarantee Greenland for example, but I bet every country has one person in it's population involved in motorsport. My hopeful solution is that they make the appearance of drivers from other nations appear for once or a rarity in a players long history of battle AI opponents.

The flags may represent actual player representation from said countries. There may simply be very very few players from Korea or the Middle East. Which sounds about right.

I wouldn't say that. There are plenty of Saudi Arabian players in GT5, should be no different with GT6 now. If if it were the case, there would be chances you could see the flag of the KSA on the AI grid.

The only African flag available from PD is the flag of South Africa. Certainly there are real life South African racing drivers out there. I can't guarantee Greenland for example, but I bet every country has one person in it's population involved in motorsport. My hopeful solution is that they make the appearance of drivers from other nations appear for once or a rarity in a players long history of battle AI opponents.

Hence why I have the theory that countries with more internationally known drivers may appear more frequent. I've seen a lot of flags from the UK, US and Japan (as thats where a lot of known drivers come from), and I've seen a Norwegian flag once so far. All this from others videos of course. It just might be that PD have gone for those seen in 24h races, DTM, JGTC, WRC and NASCAR as a foothold.

I wouldn't say that. There are plenty of Saudi Arabian players in GT5, should be no different with GT6 now. If if it were the case, there would be chances you could see the flag of the KSA on the AI grid.

It's not GT5 or any GT i'm talking about but PSN in general. From what i can see, the distribution sounds about right for it. Because it's so hard to reliably gauge activity and accounts for just one game (as you can trade it between people) it's most likely that general PSN stats are used.

Hence why I have the theory that countries with more internationally known drivers may appear more frequent. I've seen a lot of flags from the UK, US and Japan (as thats where a lot of known drivers come from), and I've seen a Norwegian flag once so far. All this from others videos of course. It just might be that PD have gone for those seen in 24h races, DTM, JGTC, WRC and NASCAR as a foothold.

I recall hearing that some AI names are based on real life racing drivers. If you race in Super GT in GT6, the AI names reflect the Super GT drivers. Would make good sense, but I wish they did more.

It's not GT5 or any GT i'm talking about but PSN in general. From what i can see, the distribution sounds about right for it. Because it's so hard to reliably gauge activity and accounts for just one game (as you can trade it between people) it's most likely that general PSN stats are used.

Now that seems better.

To be honest this isn't much of a big deal for me. It doesn't affect gameplay greatly anyway.

However Taiwan's flag (due to policies, the flag only says "TW" on it) also appears as AI flags. I have not seen a South Korean or Hong Kong flag yet on AI.

Due to which policies exactly? Does People's Republic of China have control over Sony or something?

This may seem like a small matter, but it's quite a problem.

Due to which policies exactly? Does People's Republic of China have control over Sony or something?

This may seem like a small matter, but it's quite a problem.

Maybe I shouldn't have said it like that. But then I also don't know why Taiwan is labeled that way.

Maybe I shouldn't have said it like that. But then I also don't know why Taiwan is labeled that way.

Actually I think you might be right. The PRC may be putting pressure on Sony to prevent the use of our flag. It's a common practice for the PRC.

Back