Albums, Lost and Found...Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Touring Mars
  • 5 comments
  • 761 views

Touring Mars

ツーリング マルス
Staff Emeritus
Messages
31,336
Scotland
Edinburgh
Messages
GTP_Mars
Inevitably, some albums get lost from your collection and never replaced, and for a variety of reasons - loans become permanent, relationships go pear-shaped, and some records didn't survive the "I'd rather have the £2 from the second-hand record shop" acid test.

Here's a few of mine, and the reason behind their demise...



f65607unkw1.jpg


Pulp - His 'N' Hers : Ex-girlfriend's favourite album - her CD collection was so lame, I didn't have the heart to take it from her when we split up.


c46141rq3et.jpg
x 3

The Beatles - White Album : 1) Girlfriend lent my first copy to a friend, who lent it to his brother, who lent it to his mate, who never gave it back. 2) Lent it to a mate who owned a bar. By the time he gave it back, it was virtually unplayable, so I let him keep it. 3) Stolen from my lab in London by a thief with awesome music taste.

c83778hx99m.jpg


Jean-Michel Jarre - Revolutions : The first CD I ever owned met a sad demise as I destroyed it ritualistically with a compass, as I entered my Heavy Metal/Rock music phase as a teenager.

f44235z0108.jpg


Deep Purple - Nobody's Perfect : You said it! Possibly the worst album I ever had, so bad that the guy in the second-hand store refused to take it. No-one really knows what happened to it, but rumour has it that someone put it in a padded envelope and mailed it to North Korea.

d6612377qv6.jpg


Metallica - And Justice For All : Sold to a charity shop for £4. Regret selling it now, don't really know why I ditched this one at all.


And in the In Tray...

c779510l797.jpg


Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love : Nick D, if you are reading this, sorry man... but you really should have not gone to live in Bristol shortly after lending me this CD!


​

And yours??
 
only Pac Man Fever
 
I've never given away any albums, ever. Only once, Metallica - St. Anger because after listening to it a few times, I started to hate the album, so I gave it away. Hell no that I'm giving away my Pink Floyd albums! They still play perfectly, but I'm not using them. My father bought them when they came out, so that means that the albums I have are at least 30 years old. I'm keeping them, I want them to get as old as possible, and if I'll ever have children, I'll pass it on to them 👍
 
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love : Nick D, if you are reading this, sorry man... but you really should have not gone to live in Bristol shortly after lending me this CD!
Heh, I borrowed that one from my dad 16 years ago, and he never asked for it again: My introduction to Jimi Hendrix's work. I eventually returned it in 1999, when I found a few bucks and a used copy in a store. He was kind of surprised when I finally returned it to him.

I found The Doors - Waiting for the Sun in a parking lot, totally unmolested nor scratched in its jewel case, next to a parking stone. It was not to touch the earth.

I've had to buy Orbital - In Sides three times, since it would get scratched every time I loaned it. Grrr...

But the Prisoner Of Bad Relationships Album (P.O.B.R.A.) of them all is my copy of Meat Beat Manifesto - 99%. It found its way into three ex-girlfriends' cars; two were nice enough to return it in exchange for CDs of theirs - gee, never did get around to purchasing that copy of Stone Roses and Front Line Assembly - the one was my brother's ex-girfriend. He'd lent it to her (behind my back) with my then-new Stone Temple Pilots - Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop back, but she was also nice enough to return both of those to me in person after they broke up. Lastly, the same disk and jewelcase was stolen by a so-called "friend" of my brother's and held ransom for $100 (apparently, the dumb-ass forgot to pay his supplier). I called him up, and that disk was returned to me a week later. Throughout it all, the disk still has no skips nor audible "scratches".
 


f65607unkw1.jpg


Pulp - His 'N' Hers : Ex-girlfriend's favourite album - her CD collection was so lame, I didn't have the heart to take it from her when we split up.
​

:lol:

I went out with several girls who had awful music collections, and I can understand this completely.



c83778hx99m.jpg


Jean-Michel Jarre - Revolutions : The first CD I ever owned met a sad demise as I destroyed it ritualistically with a compass, as I entered my Heavy Metal/Rock music phase as a teenager.
​

That's a good album. You should re-buy it.

I've had to buy Orbital - In Sides three times, since it would get scratched every time I loaned it. Grrr...

You'd have to prise that album from my cold dead hands.

Along with not sharing food, I don't lend CDs. The closest I have to a contribution, is asking the public question "Who the hell has got my Heat DVD?" because I don't know, and neither does the person to whom I think I lent it, or any of their family.
 
Interesting thread.

And I have an interesting response:

Lost...

Every single Offspring album. SRSLY. I have a sneaking suspicion I lent them to my ex-girlfriend (I genuinely can't remember) and a sneaking suspicion that I left her soon after and forgot about the albums long enough afterwards for it to be impossible to get them back. If this isn't how I lost them, then God knows how I did because I would have thought it virtually impossible to lose seven albums, as I managed to.

Sandstone Veterans - this one was annoying. I very much doubt any of you have heard of them, but the frontman in this band, Dean Tidey, is the extra guitarist who tours with Feeder when they do a live tour. I bought the album off their site, signed by all the band members. Great album, genuinely good light rock. Haven't a clue where it is or how I lost it, but it certainly isn't in my posession any more.

Go With The Flow single, QOTSA - I bought this because I love the song and liked the cover art. Lent it to my brother, never saw it again after.
 
Back