Alita: Battle Angel (2019)Movies 

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 13 comments

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Something of a labour of love for producer James Cameron ever since Guillermo del Toro introduced him to the source material, his adaptation of the Battle Angel Alita manga series has been knocking around in 20th Century Fox's planned project vault for well over a decade. With Jon Landau and Robert Rodriguez joining as co-producer and director respectively, the idea finally got the green light last year.

As a fan of the original comic run, the prospect of another Hollywood adaptation of Japanese media brings mixed feelings of intrigue and scepticism. And with the first trailer out today my impressions are... no more or less mixed than ever. Though I do have more faith in Rodriguez as a director than a producer:

Yes, the anime eyes are awfully uncanny.

Last edited:
Something of a labour of love for producer James Cameron ever since Guillermo del Toro introduced him to the source material, his adaptation of the Battle Angel Alita manga series has been knocking around in 20th Century Fox's planned project vault for well over a decade. With Jon Landau and Robert Rodriguez joining as co-producer and director respectively, the idea finally got the green light last year.

As a fan of the original comic run, the prospect of another Hollywood adaptation of Japanese media brings mixed feelings of intrigue and scepticism. And with the first trailer out today my impressions are... no more or less mixed than ever. Though I do have more faith in Rodriguez as a director than a producer:

Yes, the anime eyes are awfully uncanny.

As someone who read some of the manga I agree, at times it seems like it can be good, but then they go off and do other things that make it seem like it will suffer a fat similar to GiTS or worse. These type of movies, especially the continual "one day we'll make a Hollywood adaptation of Cowboy Bebop", don't seem to garner the same eye for detail or precision as American Comics and it's a bit sad cause these stories could be as good and many time better.

I'm crying in a dark corner since I watched it. I really hope Cameron gets run over by a steamroller.

What I can't really fathom is how Kishiro could give his aproval to this crap. How could he look at the character designs and not go "what the hell am I looking at". How could he look at the finished, 1998-bad-CGI final character design and sleep at night. Either he got offered 6 trucks of money, or either he has some sort of resentment towards Gunnm and wants it to just get a bad rep or I don't really know. It's just absurd.

As a huge fan of a the original Anime and watching it over an over again as a kid , this adaptation is horrific and proves that western directors shouldn't adapt Asian sourced stories.

I could forgive the lack of ultra violence to get under 15s in to see it but why the huge eyes? Seriously not needed. I wont entertain this garbage at the cinema or on a home release.

I guess we can be thankful that they didn't give her a set of pouty CG "octopus lips" instead of/in addition to the eyes?

Last edited:
Don't know the source material, but I liked the trailer. Looks very interesting. I think the big eyes gives the movie character. It's something that instantly makes it stand out.

Oh hey Fox finally settled on a release date (Feb 2019)

I'm over the whole eye issue and a little more optimistic about this being a serviceable adaptation. And if the romance sucks then the PG13 Motorball ought to make up for it. :lol:

Just got back from watching this (in 2D) and boy, it was a load of... really good fun?

I've seen a handful of reviews that highlight the ropy dialogue and it definitely falls into 🤬 territory at times along with a some amateurish scene transitions, but unlike GitS I didn't leave feeling underwhelmed. I was also afraid they'd try to shoehorn too much of the manga into this largely OVA-based adaptation, but the way they shuffled things about to accommodate new characters and motives was perfectly fine, albeit cliched. Honestly I'd call this a better interpretation of the first few volumes than the 1993 animation.

Little doubt that it'll suffer at the box office. Not that it was ever a concern considering it had always been a passion project.

Can we get a sequel just so we can see Edward Norton's Nova laugh like a man possessed while digging into some flan?

Last edited:
I am going to give it a shot. I did the same for GITS and ended up labeling it as a Saturday background sounds.

I went to see it on Wednesday. I really enjoyed myself and want to see the teased (and hopefully happening) sequel. Having never been exposed to Alita before I suppose that's full praise

I didn’t have high expectations, and it absolutely blew them out of the water. That was without a doubt one of my all time favorite movies. The visuals, combat scenes, and humor at times were on point.

Thought it was absolutely garbage. The main character lacks any real goals throughout the movie, leaving many of her decisions to be reactionary and out of left field. The CGI for Alita was impressive in scenes where nothing was happening, but in combat, was just plain boring. Looked like any other generic CGI heavy movie. I was far more impressed by the cinematography in Ghost in The Shell. The writing is flat, and the story and theme development is non existent. Things just kind of happen without there being any flow to it.

We all know the meme "Still a better love story than Twilight", but in this case, Twilight actually has a better love story. What absolute drivel.

Back